Last Minute Cruise Deals?

So, I've gone and done it... retired! I have always enjoyed cruising, and I want to do more. Is there such a thing as last minute cruise deals? Living in South Florida where there are a number of departure ports within minutes to hours from me advice on this topic would be good to have. Is there an advantage to being able to travel at a moment's notice? If a cruise is departing the next day or the next week and they have unsold cabins, can one score a deal because of the flexibility to travel at any time? What are the best (least expensive) times of the year to cruise. Any and comments are welcomed!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can sometimes score last minute deals when you have the flexibility like that! Good for you 🙂 We've found the best time to cruise is early December and early February. The holidays are horrible, and then in March is spring break, so there are almost always last minute deals around those two times. We've even (shame on me) pulled our kids out of school for a few of those last minute deals like that!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 8:32 AM, rf53 said:

So, I've gone and done it... retired! I have always enjoyed cruising, and I want to do more. Is there such a thing as last minute cruise deals? Living in South Florida where there are a number of departure ports within minutes to hours from me advice on this topic would be good to have. Is there an advantage to being able to travel at a moment's notice? If a cruise is departing the next day or the next week and they have unsold cabins, can one score a deal because of the flexibility to travel at any time? What are the best (least expensive) times of the year to cruise. Any and comments are welcomed!

Congratulations! and Happy Retirement. :classic_smile:

Yes, you can score on "last-minute" deals.  We often get emails from Princess (Royal Caribbean and Celebrity as well)...and can only wish we were both retired...the prices are often incredibly low.  Register on their websites.  We find October, November, and the first two weeks of December relatively cheap. (Note: Thanksgiving week used to be cheap, but families are now cruising and thus prices are higher now.)  Also cheap cruises in April, but after spring break and before taxes...not many go on cruises because they have to pay taxes...and some start Lent and don't go on cruises.  Summer/Christmas/New Year's are typically the most expensive time of the year.  Happy Sailing! :classic_smile:

• 4 weeks later...

@rf53 Yes, you can score some great last minute deals. It takes some work. 

I recently completed a 10 day Caribbean, solo, balcony for $899.  It left the next day. 

My next cruise is a 21 night transatlantic i booked about 5 weeks out.  I got an inside gty for $983.  The upgrade fairy smiled (1st time ever) and I was upgraded to a balcony. On top of that I got a 5% refund for going their loyalty program, $50 obc from the TA and $50 OBC from MSC.