Celebrity Move Up

pna

On 1/14/2019 at 10:26 PM, KCalla said:

Thank you Diamond lover!  I was able to find it using your clear directions.  We are on a Feb 9 cruise.  When I submitted our information I got the message "We are sorry, we have no space available".  But your instructions will help me for future cruises.  Thank you again.

I believe you have to be signed up for Celebrity's promotional emails also. Last year I was getting that same message when going through the website so I emailed customer service and they sent me a bid link, but also told me to sign up for offers. Another issue could be if you have a certain discount box store travel agent as not all agents participate in the program. 

• Like 1

You never ever have to wait for any move-up emails. Just go to the magnifying glass “search” on the Celebrity website and type in “move up.” When the choices come up, choose move up and overview. Scroll down a little and you’ll see where you enter your last name and your booking number. You’ll either get the move up bid page or a message saying your cruise isn’t available for move up yet. And...it’s often open BEFORE the 30 days before your ship sails.

7 hours ago, aml3679 said:

Having booked with a TA, I did not think we would get an e-mail.  I read where someone bid $75 pp for move from a C2 to Aqua.  I originally bid $100 pp and then changed it to $150pp.  I am happy with my C2 location, so if we get Aqua we do, if not, se lavie.

I book with a TA and always get an invite.    If not just follow the link under Menu on the main Celebrity Webpage.

4 hours ago, lizinindy said:

You never ever have to wait for any move-up emails. Just go to the magnifying glass “search” on the Celebrity website and type in “move up.” When the choices come up, choose move up and overview. Scroll down a little and you’ll see where you enter your last name and your booking number. You’ll either get the move up bid page or a message saying your cruise isn’t available for move up yet. And...it’s often open BEFORE the 30 days before your ship sails.

Just checked my Edge sailing for March...it says make sure cruise is within 30 days..or something similar.  

12 minutes ago, airhose said:

If there are a number of available staterooms in the category bid on, and you are assigned an undesirable location, can you request a switch?  My fear is being in a balcony on deck six (S class) over the smoking area.

No. Successful MoveUp upgrades cannot be reversed, and you cannot request another stateroom. The upgrade and stateroom assignment is final.

7 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Just checked my Edge sailing for March...it says make sure cruise is within 30 days..or something similar.  

When in March?    I just checked my March 14th cruise (60 days from cruise).    I was able to put in a MoveUp bid from AQ to SS, CS and RS today.   Doesn't really matter, as  when I checked there were  NO SUITES AVAILABLE. 

When I checked yesterday at 61 day per-crusise I got the same message as you.

One never knows.

Edited by Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was able to put in a MoveUp bid from AQ to SS, CS and RS today.   Doesn't really matter, as  when I checked there were  NO SUITES AVAILABLE. 

@Jim_Iain have you ever been successful in this situation, where there were no suites available at the initial move up time?

I got the MoveUp invite bid a full 75 days before my March 27th cruise on the Silhouette.  The ship is wide open, with a huge unsold inventory.  We love our mid-ship location, so will not take a chance on winning the bid and being placed at a full forward/aft location on the ship. 

We just booked a 4 night trip on Infinity. Got a great deal on an inside cabin with 4 perks. It was too good to pass up. Today we received a move up offer. Had to think about it because we  happen to enjoy an inside cabin. Since we have never worked with the move up program we decided to give it a try. We placed bids on the two classes that were of interest to us-  Aqua Class cabin and Family Veranda. We like Aqua class for Blu and the Persian Garden. We have never experienced a Family Veranda cabin.The starting bids on each were rather low. Not sure if we will "win" but it will be fun to see what happens.  It made sense to try on this particular cruise because we were starting with a good deal in a cabin we like and we bid on a cabin(s) that we would like as well.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:39 PM, Shadow9612 said:

@Jim_Iain have you ever been successful in this situation, where there were no suites available at the initial move up time?

Yes... .Wasn't sure of exact quantity but I got an upgrade from Aqua to RS.    It was an unusual cruise as it was only a 4 day cruise and most passengers seemed to be value minded. 

2 minutes ago, PBTravelBug said:

For the Move Up program - does anyone know if Celebrity considers the Captain's Club level of a passenger when deciding on a bid and then with a winning bid on the type/location of the cabin?

No they don't.   It is all purely revenue driven. 

I've got a little advice for everyone

When you initially book your cruise, make a note of what it would have originally cost for those other categories...

I think a lot of people lose track of that ...then they get caught up in the bidding thing...

But, really...consider why you chose your category in the first place...and use that for the basis of whether you bid or not...

and also...monitor those prices... often you do better just restructuring on your own... (Heck, we just restructured back-to-back cruises without dealing with the MoveUp site..and went from OV to Concierge with ZERO net additional price...)...

Bid on the  Move Up thing ONLY if you'd be getting a real deal...Only if the differential is far LESS than it would have otherwise cost...Otherwise, they got you....

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 1:30 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Yes... .Wasn't sure of exact quantity but I got an upgrade from Aqua to RS.    It was an unusual cruise as it was only a 4 day cruise and most passengers seemed to be value minded. 

On 1/15/2020 at 4:39 AM, Shadow9612 said:

We have just had the same situation. We had booked a CS two years ago. From the start of the Move up process there was only one suite on sale the PH at around £25k. We bid for both RS and PH and heard nothing. The PH disappeared and was then replaced by a guarantee RS at what was still a lot of money. On Monday I noticed that my RS bid had been expired and on Monday evening we were advised that we were upgraded to the PH. Our bids were the maximum allowed for each suite. 

Our CS cost around £8,300 after discount. Even paying the maximum we would have had a RS for 12 nights for £10,500, a huge discount on the going rate and the PH worked out at half what they were looking for on the market for weeks. Very happy at the result especially as we come off the Edge and join the Silhouette. We will have 11 days of clothes built up by that time. The free laundry will be getting used.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

On 1/14/2020 at 3:24 PM, mikkelhansen said:

No. Successful MoveUp upgrades cannot be reversed, and you cannot request another stateroom. The upgrade and stateroom assignment is final.

Not sure, when I booked directly with Celebrity and my MoveUp bid was approved they did allow me to move within the same cabin category. They however will not let you move cabin category types, even downgrading say from an A1 to an A2. Always a chance but it is a risk you have to be willing to take!

Good luck 🙂

1 hour ago, 1moretrip said:

We are cruising in March on a 5nt on Infinity.  We booked an ocean view room and have placed bids on several of the offered upgrades via MoveUp.  My question is:  are you guaranteed an upgrade if you bid the max amount?  

NO -    No one know the exact logic of their move-up program but it is designed to Maximize revenue.    I would presume that it is possible that a person in a lower classification than you bid a full amount and that was higher than you,  they might be awarded the win. 

I currently have 3 cruises with Move-Up Bids on them.    When checking all of the suites on all of the cruises are sold out.   So unless there is a cancellation I figure i have little to no chance of an upgrade.

You probably have a good chance if you bid max but would recommend checking out if that is higher or lower than you could upgrade yourself for.  

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

NO -    No one know the exact logic of their move-up program but it is designed to Maximize revenue.    I would presume that it is possible that a person in a lower classification than you bid a full amount and that was higher than you,  they might be awarded the win. 

I currently have 3 cruises with Move-Up Bids on them.    When checking all of the suites on all of the cruises are sold out.   So unless there is a cancellation I figure i have little to no chance of an upgrade.

You probably have a good chance if you bid max but would recommend checking out if that is higher or lower than you could upgrade yourself for.  

Jim

I think with our bids that they took the PH off the market and tried to dangle a RS to see if someone like me would bite at it but it would have cost me around £8k extra on top of the cost of my CS to do it. I thought about it for a whole 30 seconds and decided that I had done all I could do. I knew that if we received either of the bid I made we had a bargain. But all I have is conjecture and a feeling. I did try Celebrity UK to see if offering them a little more than the bids would make them bite but they were not interested.

As you say, this program is all about raising as much cash for the cruise line rather than how it is publicised.

The PH was the only cabin available to book for several weeks before they took our money, nothing else. I have never seen that over the cruises we have done.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

2 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Jim

I think with our bids that they took the PH off the market and tried to dangle a RS to see if someone like me would bite at it but it would have cost me around £8k extra on top of the cost of my CS to do it. I thought about it for a whole 30 seconds and decided that I had done all I could do. I knew that if we received either of the bid I made we had a bargain. But all I have is conjecture and a feeling. I did try Celebrity UK to see if offering them a little more than the bids would make them bite but they were not interested.

As you say, this program is all about raising as much cash for the cruise line rather than how it is publicised.

The PH was the only cabin available to book for several weeks before they took our money, nothing else. I have never seen that over the cruises we have done.

Agree..  I also thought that if they could trigger a series of upgrades  like RS to PS, CS to RS, SS to CS AQ to SS they could maximize their revenue.   The company that Celebrity uses for this program are also used by many airlines. 

I'm sure you enjoyed your PH and what a deal. 

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree..  I also thought that if they could trigger a series of upgrades  like RS to PS, CS to RS, SS to CS AQ to SS they could maximize their revenue.   The company that Celebrity uses for this program are also used by many airlines. 

I'm sure you enjoyed your PH and what a deal. 

I had seen what some of the bids as some people like to tell others (who may or may not also be bidding) what they have bid and I tried initially to be clever by tweaking the bids to make sure that the difference between the RS bid and the PH bid was more than someone who was in a RS. Then I looked at what I had paid for the CS and it became clear that the maximum bids for me still made the RS and PH at prices that I would have bitten their hand off for if they had been available in February 2020 when I booked the CS on board.

This is a one off although it is a shame I don't get the extra 72 points! 

13 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We have just had the same situation. We had booked a CS two years ago. From the start of the Move up process there was only one suite on sale the PH at around £25k. We bid for both RS and PH and heard nothing. The PH disappeared and was then replaced by a guarantee RS at what was still a lot of money. On Monday I noticed that my RS bid had been expired and on Monday evening we were advised that we were upgraded to the PH. Our bids were the maximum allowed for each suite. 

Our CS cost around £8,300 after discount. Even paying the maximum we would have had a RS for 12 nights for £10,500, a huge discount on the going rate and the PH worked out at half what they were looking for on the market for weeks. Very happy at the result especially as we come off the Edge and join the Silhouette. We will have 11 days of clothes built up by that time. The free laundry will be getting used.

Wow!  Congratulations, that is amazing.

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think I may still be misunderstanding something between the posts from yourself and @Gordoncruickshank.  If the suites are no longer available, how do you check what it would cost you yourself to upgrade? Or is the assumption that when  we book a lower level room (or suite) we 'mark down' what the higher level suite would have been at that time?  

So let's say we are booking 2 years out,  if the CS is 5000 and the RS is 8000 at that time, then when it comes to MoveUp bid time, we wouldn't want to bid more than 3000 since we could have gotten it for that 2 years ago?