Port vs Starboard views?

snoopy5386

We are booking a Canda/New England cruise with stops at Bar Harbor (tendered), St John and Halifax, leaving from Cape Liberty. We can choose a cabin on either the port or starboard side - for this itinerary does it matter? Does one side give better views? How about sailing in and out from Cape Liberty, is there a preference to see NYC from either side?

Thanks!

We have done this itinerary several times, and I don't have any cabin preference regarding the side of the ship.  

Will you be on a Celebrity ship?  Celebrity captains, depending on marine traffic and most likely several other factors, will at times (not always) depart from Cape Liberty and cruise toward the Statue of Liberty, turn around essentially in front of it, and then head out to sea.  The best views are from the open top decks.

You've received your replies about the Cape Liberty sailaway in your East Coast Departures thread, so I will just add this about Halifax.  (I think the following is always the case, but I hope people will correct me if this doesn't always happen.) When ships are docked in Halifax, a bagpiper welcomes the ship by playing on the dock before disembarkation, and later plays a farewell before sailaway.  I thought it was awesome.   We were on a HAL ship that had the port side facing the dock, so we got to enjoy this from the balcony of our portside cabin.   In most ports, you can't predict which side the ship will dock on, and I have no idea whether that's true of Halifax, perhaps others can weigh in with their experience on that.

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

...... so I will just add this about Halifax.  (I think the following is always the case, but I hope people will correct me if this doesn't always happen.) When ships are docked in Halifax, a bagpiper welcomes the ship by playing on the dock before disembarkation, and later plays a farewell before sailaway.  I thought it was awesome.   

(photo by turtles06)

I must admit that I am not often up early enough to observe the docking, but we have had four port calls in Halifax (the first in 2009 and the last in 2018) and each time as the ship was departing a piper bade us farewell.  We have also had a "farewell"  piper in Sydney.