Ovation of the seas

31 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

We were in 13526 which had clear views. There was no ship movement either even though it was a forward cabin.

I don't think you feel any ship movement wherever you are.  It's so big and stable, even in rough seas on Bass Strait we felt nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 1:22 PM, Viciki said:

Can anyone recommend best Deck for balcony room on ovation looing for clear views do not want life boats in fro t of view 

Thankz foe any recommendations 

You didn’t state the category.

The best standard balcony is the ones on deck 13 around the forward lifts. 

Some of the cabins between the forward and rear elevators should be classed as partially obstructed but aren’t.Theres  large struts and the overhang of deck 14.

The forward elevators don’t get as busy.

you have the solarium bistro straight above,it doesn’t get nowhere as busy as the other eating areas.one flight of stairs and a cup,a cake ,piece of fruit and back to your cabin.

Pool deck and if you’re a smoker.

Theres two bars one flight of stairs.

We never take cabins under decks with pool areas or any public space as you often hear a lot more noise from activity above. Deck chairs being rearranged by staff early morning is a very common complaint regards noise, plus kitchen noises, music from late night venues etc etc.

We also do choose cabins near the forward elevators rather than central as agree they are less busy & opt for decks sandwiched between other all cabin decks.  

We’ve sailed deck 12 and are booked again on deck 12 for Transpacific - fabulous unobstructed views, staterooms above and below - easy access up to activities, pool, Windjammer etc. 

BTW - if Seas are big enough you can feel movement on the ship - although probably not as much as smaller ships. 

She’s a fabulous ship, no matter where you stay you will love the experience! 

3 hours ago, avalon007 said:

We never take cabins under decks with pool areas or any public space as you often hear a lot more noise from activity above. Deck chairs being rearranged by staff early morning is a very common complaint regards noise, plus kitchen noises, music from late night venues etc etc.

We also do choose cabins near the forward elevators rather than central as agree they are less busy & opt for decks sandwiched between other all cabin decks.  

Never had a problem with noise.

people say stay away from the elevators because of noise,never even had a problem. I like to be right at the elevators because I lazy.

$1bUS they should be able to work out the noise.

I do tell a lie,

last cruise on the explorer we had a suite with a door bell ,people keep ringing it and disappearing down the stairs.

Edited by Chiliburn

24 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Never had a problem with noise.

people say stay away from the elevators because of noise,never even had a problem. I like to be right at the elevators because I lazy.

$1bUS they should be able to work out the noise.

I do tell a lie,

last cruise on the explorer we had a suite with a door bell ,people keep ringing it and disappearing down the stairs.

We had a suite on Rhapsody many years ago that was under the pool deck & the scraping of the deck chairs being moved by staff woke us up early most mornings. Hence why I avoid cabins below pools etc now.

Last time on Ovation I did find the cabin bathrooms seemed better insulated for noise, never heard the neighbours shower or flush, but in the general cabin could hear the neighbour on one side talking loudly (maybe fighting) more than on some other ships. I think they left their balcony door open a lot which let the noise permeate, or maybe it was the first time after cruising for years we happened to have noisy neighbours. It wasn't during the night so we just ignored it.

Haven't had issues with the elevators proximity being a noise issue in general. 

Last year on Voyager the balcony cabin on deck 7 was fine as it had been on previous cruises on her, but first time ever we had 4 cabins of uni students nearby who managed to wake up the whole range of guests from the forward elevators down the isle for about 20 cabins every single morning between 1am & 4pm, as they came back from the nightclub drunk & rowdy. After about 5 days of this I finally sent a note to the GR manager & she invited us along with the another guest to discuss the issue. Ended up, the students had warnings but couldn't keep the noise down so lost alcohol privileges & we both got a nice discount on a future cruise. :classic_biggrin:

It was the first time cruising with Royal that we had ever complained about anything & we are almost Diamond plus level with them so we haven't had many cruises with an issue annoying enough to make us react which is good. But just goes to show even if you have never experienced noise issues on board, doesn't mean you won't. 

So I take the mind set when choosing cabins of considering where potential noise hot spots that you can at least mitigate may be and choose accordingly. However, what other guests get the cabins near yours is out of your control. ( Unfortunately!) LOL

4 minutes ago, avalon007 said:

We had a suite on Rhapsody many years ago that was under the pool deck & the scraping of the deck chairs being moved by staff woke us up early most mornings. Hence why I avoid cabins below pools etc now.

Last time on Ovation I did find the cabin bathrooms seemed better insulated for noise, never heard the neighbours shower or flush, but in the general cabin could hear the neighbour on one side talking loudly (maybe fighting) more than on some other ships. I think they left their balcony door open a lot which let the noise permeate, or maybe it was the first time after cruising for years we happened to have noisy neighbours. It wasn't during the night so we just ignored it.

Haven't had issues with the elevators proximity being a noise issue in general. 

Last year on Voyager the balcony cabin on deck 7 was fine as it had been on previous cruises on her, but first time ever we had 4 cabins of uni students nearby who managed to wake up the whole range of guests from the forward elevators down the isle for about 20 cabins every single morning between 1am & 4pm, as they came back from the nightclub drunk & rowdy. After about 5 days of this I finally sent a note to the GR manager & she invited us along with the another guest to discuss the issue. Ended up, the students had warnings but couldn't keep the noise down so lost alcohol privileges & we both got a nice discount on a future cruise. :classic_biggrin:

It was the first time cruising with Royal that we had ever complained about anything & we are almost Diamond plus level with them so we haven't had many cruises with an issue annoying enough to make us react which is good. But just goes to show even if you have never experienced noise issues on board, doesn't mean you won't. 

So I take the mind set when choosing cabins of considering where potential noise hot spots that you can at least mitigate may be and choose accordingly. However, what other guests get the cabins near yours is out of your control. ( Unfortunately!) LOL

I agree we bad noise insulation between the run of the mill cabins on ovation .

As you said you can’t choose your neighbors.The suites always have a better clientele.

Last cruise on Explorer,I met a elderly lady in the diamond lounge in the middle of the day who was crying.

I sat down and asked if I could help.

she had a cabin on the lower deck as it was cheap

There was a lot of schoolies onboard that where driving her mad. 

Drunks,loud music (which we could hear on deck 10) running up and down the hallway.

I think security calmed them down but she ended leaving the ship.

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I agree we bad noise insulation between the run of the mill cabins on ovation .

As you said you can’t choose your neighbors.The suites always have a better clientele.

Last cruise on Explorer,I met a elderly lady in the diamond lounge in the middle of the day who was crying.

I sat down and asked if I could help.

she had a cabin on the lower deck as it was cheap

There was a lot of schoolies onboard that where driving her mad. 

Drunks,loud music (which we could hear on deck 10) running up and down the hallway.

I think security calmed them down but she ended leaving the ship.

Yes, the elderly could get quite distressed by young louts I could imagine. Luckily we are middle aged so don't have an issue telling them to be quiet & reporting them to security if they don't listen.

I have tried suites in the past but they are often on the higher decks under the pool which I have never understood & as previously mentioned I'm not keen on that location. I have found the clientele on Voyager has for lack of a better word become 'rougher' in the last few years, but hoping the higher cost of Ovation may keep some of them away, especially the younger crowd who are on a budget or they at least stick to the lower decks.

Edited by avalon007
spelling

We booked an obstructed balcony guarantee room on Ovation and was given a room on Deck 13.

Just a quick trip to the Windjammer for a snack (maybe a good or bad thing). Our room was under the foyer area to the Windjammer, no noise and no complaints with view.

But we normally get a large balcony on deck 9 and have been happy with them.

Photo of deck 13 room obstructions.

1BD9918C-3B95-4697-B6D8-EFE833BBDF0D.jpeg

Edited by megsie

1 hour ago, megsie said:

We booked an obstructed balcony guarantee room on Ovation and was given a room on Deck 13.

Just a quick trip to the Windjammer for a snack (maybe a good or bad thing). Our room was under the foyer area to the Windjammer, no noise and no complaints with view.

But we normally get a large balcony on deck 9 and have been happy with them.

Photo of deck 13 room obstructions.

1BD9918C-3B95-4697-B6D8-EFE833BBDF0D.jpeg

megsie

We have had a similar cabin,no complaints,to some including me it is desirable.

But do you think it’s a little obstructed????

as my last post that cabin we are in tomorrow  is fully obstructed 

‘it’s not any worse than your cabin on deck 13 .its higher and that’s it

PS That’s Hobart????

Edited by Chiliburn

Yes, Hobart. On Ovation it’s been an annual cruise for us either on the way to Adelaide or just to Hobart. Do prefer the longer cruises on Ovation, we had one of our best cruises on her and one of our less enjoyable on a shorter cruise but generally I think that’s how cruising rolls. 

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Many obstructions are very limited in nature, ie you may not be able to look straight down, or there may be a post in the line of sight.

Agreed, we had a davit for one of our cabins which was visible (and sometimes in the way) when sitting on the balcony but not so bad when standing as it was below the hand rail height.

5 minutes ago, megsie said:

Yes, Hobart. On Ovation it’s been an annual cruise for us either on the way to Adelaide or just to Hobart. Do prefer the longer cruises on Ovation, we had one of our best cruises on her and one of our less enjoyable on a shorter cruise but generally I think that’s how cruising rolls. 

I have sailed on her twice both longer cruises at 14 and 9 nights, and had a great time both times.