Old Town Stockholm in a wheelchair

We are trying to decide which shore excursion to do on our trip to Stockholm on the Regal Princess. My mom will use a wheelchair because she can't walk for long distances. She could get out and walk for short distances. Are some parts of Old Town doable in a wheelchair if we take it slow? Failing that, I'm hoping she could walk the rougher parts. Any help on getting around Stockholm with a wheelchair is appreciated.

8 minutes ago, yearbooksharon said:

We are trying to decide which shore excursion to do on our trip to Stockholm on the Regal Princess. My mom will use a wheelchair because she can't walk for long distances. She could get out and walk for short distances. Are some parts of Old Town doable in a wheelchair if we take it slow? Failing that, I'm hoping she could walk the rougher parts. Any help on getting around Stockholm with a wheelchair is appreciated.

Lots of cobblestones in Gamla Stan but if your mom can put up with a somewhat bumpy ride, it is doable in a wheelchair. The island of Djurgarden (where the fabulous Vasa Museum is located) is a smooth ride for wheelchair users.

An interesting read here:

https://www.curbfreewithcorylee.com/2017/11/13/1-day-in-stockholm-wheelchair-accessible/

I can't help you with Galma Stan, but here are my recommendations for Tallinn:

Tallinn was one of our favorite stops, and we really loved exploring its spectacularly preserved medieval center. Please note that this lovely city may be challenging for travelers with disabilities or families that use prams, since cars are not allowed in parts of the medieval center, and the cobblestones will make a stroller or wheelchair use difficult. Because my son has limited mobility without a stroller, our plan had been to take a pedicab around the city. There were some pedicabs at the port when we returned to the ship in the afternoon; however, the pedicabs were not yet available at 9 am when we left the ship. Instead, we took a cab to the top of Toompea Hill (this is where the lovely Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is located) and then walked down. Our son was able to climb the city walls (although the passage is very narrow and steep), and there were gorgeous views. In the main square, we found a pedicab, and we were able to take a very enjoyable 15 minute pedicab tour through the charming city. Since our son loves trains, we also rode on a tourist train that departs from Kullassepa street whenever it is full and makes a 20 minute loop around the city. We were fortunate to sit in the very back, since we had a great spot to take photographs from the back of the train.

Have a great trip!

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

Gamla Stan has some pretty significant cobblestones.  I agree Djurgarden might be more comfortable for her and whoever is pushing her.  If you at all like food, we also really enjoyed Ostermalm, the food hall just a couple blocks from the water.  No cobbles there at all, either.

Almost all streets in Gamla Stan have cobblestones. Västerlånggatan, the main tourist street, has a more modern, flat type of cobblestones than the other streets and should be OK for wheelchairs.  You can check that on Google Maps using Street View.

• 2 weeks later...

Contrary to what that blog says about it, the Abba Museum is very definitely about Abba, in fact now they even have a 'what did they do afterwards?' section. The Swedish Music Museum is a separate part and of course, not as interesting to non-Swedish fans, or people who do not know about other Swedish acts.

Just some comments on that blog as well. Public transport is by law to be accessible (wheel chairs and etc)

and the same goes for most public buildings, including museums.

Abba museum is like newgrange says all about Abba.

Båthall 2 hos planned to be permanently closed since the building is intended to bed
used for a new marine archaeological museum.

Edited by Desdichado62