Scandinavia and Russia in Mid- October

marilla chris

Hi, thinking of doing a 9 night  Scandinavian/ Russia and Baltic cruise on NCL the middle of October- ports include Finland, Sweden, Estonia and St. Petersburg, Russia.  Does anyone know what type of weather we might expect? I've read that the average temps are in the mid 40's F. We are used to cold weather, mainly like this cruise for the ports and the month works for us, but any input from those who have done this itinerary  in the Fall would be appreciated- is it just as beautiful that time of year? Thank you.

I frequently visit my friends in Russia and my preferred time of travel is always the fall - much less crowded during the fall. That said, temperatures can be quite chilly. You may have a mix of sunny days & rain but the ports you will be visiting are still lovely in the fall. My last visit to St. Petersburg (October), the weather many days was warm & I walked along the Moika in just a light sweater - the previous year (November), I practically froze. Helsinki was windy & it rained in Stockholm. Full disclosure - I was not on a cruise ship.

FWIW - I was expecting chilly weather during our visit to Budapest in November - the temps were warm (60's), days were sunny & the city was much less crowded with tourists than during the height of the tourist season.

Weather patterns are unpredictable - I would recommend layers (and pack an umbrella).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know about the weather but the cruise/ports are fantastic. We were there last July and it was brutally hot everywhere, so October so October should be an improvement. Be sure to book a 2 day small group tour in SPB with one of the major tour companies...you won’t regret it!

1 hour ago, cansas.piligrim said:

The temperature 40's F is very cold. It is worse than 25 F due to humidity and winds.

Yes, it can be chilly but the OP is from Buffalo & I am from Colorado - we are accustomed to chilly weather. Last mid October (2018) the daytime temperature reached 56F on a couple of my days in St. Petersburg (I believe that the lowest daytime temp was 49F) - by my standards, this is quite mild and I enjoyed the day walking in the city sans coat (while the sun was shining, of course). 

I did not visit any of the other Baltic ports in 2018 but in 2017 I visited Stockholm & Helsinki in November. It was very cold - even by my Rocky Mountain standards!

Hi, thinking of doing a 9 night  Scandinavian/ Russia and Baltic cruise on NCL the middle of October- ports include Finland, Sweden, Estonia and St. Petersburg, Russia.  Does anyone know what type of weather we might expect? I've read that the average temps are in the mid 40's F. We are used to cold weather, mainly like this cruise for the ports and the month works for us, but any input from those who have done this itinerary  in the Fall would be appreciated- is it just as beautiful that time of year? Thank you.

In Finland it can be anything between -5C (23F) to 15C (59F). Sunny, Rainy or snowing or everything.