Queen Mary 2 Deck 12

cindy1957

3 hours ago, cindy1957 said:

My friend and I just booked an A1 on deck 12 for April 21 roundtrip. Any feedback?

We are once again booked in a A1 Club Britannia cabin for the Independence Day July 4th of this year. This is the second time we are booked on Deck 12 A1 and this third time in A1 category.

We really have no complaints about the location even though the restaurant is at the far end of the ship, it's a good way to walk off the meals. Both times we are located by the B Elevator banks which is fine with us.

One thing to mention which we experienced the first time on 12 was and did not bother us at all was slightly hearing the deck chairs being setup around 730 - 8 in the morning on the Sun Deck above on Deck 13. That is if your cabin maybe located below on the deck plan. We were up alright for breakfast and no complaints the rest of the day thru out the days of the cruise.

Bon Voyage and Enjoy the Sailing and A1...

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

I haven't had a stateroom on 12 but IMO 12 is slightly better than 13 in that you can get to 12 via the B lifts (which are convenient to the Royal Court Theatre and the Grand Lobby) while Deck 13 is accessible only via the A lifts, and then a longer walk past Illuminations and the RCT.

We had 12022 last year on an East to West crossing and loved it. Being on the port side of the ship gave us sun during the day and a great view of the Statue of Liberty from our balcony as we sipped coffee entering New Your Harbor. I would caution being too far back on deck 12 as it puts you near the Pavilion Pool where there is often live music and can be noisy. 

Have a great trip!

5 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I would caution being too far back on deck 12 as it puts you near the Pavilion Pool where there is often live music and can be noisy. 

True about the Pavilion Pool being in the rear of 12 but we were in 12052 and we were not bothered by the music since B Elevator was like a barrier that blocked the music or excitement of the pool area.

On that cruise they actually closed the doors between the elevator bank and pool which did help.

There wasn’t much choice left but were in 12063. 10 cabins back from pool door and across from inside cabins. The sun deck is above. 

Thanks for the replies!

Hi Cindy,

WOW that's ours....Have to see how you like it..You had little choice but we selected the number....ENJOY!

I did a return crossing last summer in 12.001, the very first cabin on the starboard side. Mine was just a bog-standard Britannia rather than a Club. Perhaps not the most popular location for everyone, but it was ideal for me.
- I could look from my balcony into the stbd bridgewing through the aft-facing windows
- it was mere steps to the wheelhouse observation alleyway
- a scant few more steps to the open observation deck on Deck 11, and to the lightly-used Deck 11 fwd launderette
- immediate access to the little-used 'A' elevators and to the scenic glass elevators
- it was "downhill" by stairs to the library and the Commodore lounge (and to all the other activities) if an elevator was not immediately forthcoming

- almost noiseless except for the sound of the waves through my open balcony door, and no sense of vibration whatsoever
- just enough motion during Force 7 near-gales to rock me gently to sleep.

And all for the regular cost of the cheapest inside cabin (purchased for a reduced price about 5 months prior to departure). I would take that cabin again in a heartbeat, or any others on Deck 12!

Balcony moon.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

I did a return crossing last summer in 12.001, the very first cabin on the starboard side. Mine was just a bog-standard Britannia rather than a Club. Perhaps not the most popular location for everyone, but it was ideal for me.
- I could look from my balcony into the stbd bridgewing through the aft-facing windows
- it was mere steps to the wheelhouse observation alleyway
- a scant few more steps to the open observation deck on Deck 11, and to the lightly-used Deck 11 fwd launderette
- immediate access to the little-used 'A' elevators and to the scenic glass elevators
- it was "downhill" by stairs to the library and the Commodore lounge (and to all the other activities) if an elevator was not immediately forthcoming

- almost noiseless except for the sound of the waves through my open balcony door, and no sense of vibration whatsoever
- just enough motion during Force 7 near-gales to rock me gently to sleep.

And all for the regular cost of the cheapest inside cabin (purchased for a reduced price about 5 months prior to departure). I would take that cabin again in a heartbeat, or any others on Deck 12!

Balcony moon.jpg

Dear Vintage,

We too had a experience in 2017 with a really forward cabin in Club Class on Deck 13 almost below you but on the Port Side.

The cabin was 13002, the new addition to the refit that was fitted atop the old sport deck.

We too agree with many of the access locations that you mentioned by the staircase and A Lift.

It was interesting to be right atop and close to the Port Side Bridge and able to view the officers and their activities especially when they opened the rear door to the Bridge wing.

We really didn't feel much of the sea on certain ocean motion days. Of course in fog we really enjoyed hearing the fog horn especially in the evening and overnight without disturbance.

I know you mentioned Deck 11 Observation deck close to you, we were literally steps from the new The Lookout Observation Deck door leading from Deck 13 to the outside.

Unfortunately I must beg to differ that we would decline returning to that cabin again if it was our choice due to the distance of the cabin to the Club Restaurant at the far - Aft location of the ship. Too too far though it did help to walk off meals...lol.

But I must admit being in a brand new cabin like that one with the Glass Shower Doors, beautiful redesign bathroom and bedroom look. Also a sliding door to the balcony not the regular swing door to the outside.

Yes we too did like 12 in the past and looking forward to returning to it on this upcoming sailing. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

15 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

the lightly-used Deck 11 fwd launderette

I only checked 2 or 3 times, but the Deck 11 launderette was fully in use every time I checked it over Christmas. I've read advice from others to try the Deck 9 launderette because "people in the suites don't do their own laundry." I don't know if that's true, though.

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

But I must admit being in a brand new cabin like that one with the Glass Shower Doors, beautiful redesign bathroom and bedroom look. Also a sliding door to the balcony not the regular swing door to the outside.

We had one of those new cabins just a few weeks after they were first available for booking.  We liked them for the same reasons as above. There were two other aspects which we appreciated: they are A2s, so a little cheaper than the A1s and there is nothing above to cause noise. There is a walkway on both sides above Deck 13, but they have thick rubber covering the metal deck and are frequently closed due to high winds.

• Thanks 1

Reading this whilst spending our last hour in cabin 12048, just by stairway B. Very nice cabin, near the pool which I really like - no noise with the cabin door closed.

Noisy when the helicopter comes though ........

Stairway B takes you straight down to the Royal Court Theatre which we find very convenient. It’s also a short walk to Illuminations and we go to most of the lectures so also a great position.

Slight downside is that accessing the Britannia Club restaurant is not totally straightforward. Easy in good weather, just walk into the pool area then across the deck and down stairway D. But otherwise you have to either go to deck 3 and through the art gallery or walk through the main restaurant.

Personally I’d always choose a cabin near a stairway and it doesn’t really matter which one as it evens out over a voyage.

But we are going to miss our cabin on deck 12 .........

8E47CC9C-BC54-4F01-90F0-4F569BADD262.jpeg

Edited by Ubarrow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Cindy,

Since you are getting excited, let me get you more excited. This is a photo of our first view of the QM2 as we turned towards the Brooklyn Pier entrance. Enjoy

FIRST VIEW OF QM2.jpg

I’m saving the photo! I see my balcony! 😘

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ubarrow said:

Slight downside is that accessing the Britannia Club restaurant is not totally straightforward. Easy in good weather, just walk into the pool area then across the deck and down stairway D. But otherwise you have to either go to deck 3 and through the art gallery or walk through the main restaurant.

One downside of the cabins on Deck 13 is the longer walk to the Club restaurant. The only stairway/lifts is the "A" unless the weather is fine and you can go out the aft end of this short deck and down to "B" etc.

The easiest way entirely within the ship was to go down from "A" to one of the full length decks such as 10, 9, 8 and walk to "D" then down to Deck 2. I timed myself several times. The fastest I could do it from our cabin door to the restaurant was nine minutes. That was only if there were no slow-moving people impeding my dash along Deck 9, for example. 

Given how attractive the new cabins are on Deck 13 I wouldn't hesitate to book one again - if the fare was reasonable. Lately,  the difference between basic Britannia and the Club is much higher than when we paid it.

Well, this information may impact our predinner cocktail plans!

Cindy,

Being on Deck 12 near B Elevator, you will have no problem adapting to the Club Britannia location. B Elevators are near two bars Deck 2 the Golden Lion Pub and on Deck 3 Chart Room for pre dinner cocktails. Unless you wish to attend the Commodore Club instead.

You will have no trouble to leisure at either bars since you don't have to go to the Club Dining Room till between 6:30 & 9PM. One of the main advantages we very much like Club Britannia category.     

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2019 at 12:46 AM, Ubarrow said:

Reading this whilst spending our last hour in cabin 12048, just by stairway B. Very nice cabin, near the pool which I really like - no noise with the cabin door closed.

Stairway B takes you straight down to the Royal Court Theatre which we find very convenient. It’s also a short walk to Illuminations and we go to most of the lectures so also a great position.

Personally I’d always choose a cabin near a stairway and it doesn’t really matter which one as it evens out over a voyage.

8E47CC9C-BC54-4F01-90F0-4F569BADD262.jpeg

Much respect to my partners in Air/Sea Rescue in the Royal Canadian Air Force (SAR Technicians and flight crews) who put themselves at great risk "That Others May Live" (the SAR Tech motto).
Always reassuring to have them flying above our Coast Guard ships.

6 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

Two sailings ago we were two cabins away from your cabin number on the port side.

We agree how much we too enjoyed our cabin and it's location. No noise from the pool area or Sun Deck above. 

Also agree with the hike to the Dining Room but after a day or two we found the path we used each time for the next 11-12 days. But yes we too also used B Stairway or Elevator to many of the locations for daily activities around the ship.

Now we are back on Deck 12 for this years sailing and looking forward to experiencing the starboard.