Getting Burnt on the Ultimate Abyss

ryanl02

Hey all,

i was was wondering if any of you have gotten burnt while going down the Ultimate Abyss on the Harmony or Symphony. I went down it two days ago on Symphony and my left arm rubbed up against the side of the slide for a few seconds. It wasn’t terrible, but there’s now a decent sized scab where it was obvious I was burnt. It was also the last day of the voyage, and it was toward the end of the day anyway so it really didn’t cause any inconvience except for some pain.

anyone else go through something similar?

7 hours ago, ryanl02 said:

Hey all,

i was was wondering if any of you have gotten burnt while going down the Ultimate Abyss on the Harmony or Symphony. I went down it two days ago on Symphony and my left arm rubbed up against the side of the slide for a few seconds. It wasn’t terrible, but there’s now a decent sized scab where it was obvious I was burnt. It was also the last day of the voyage, and it was toward the end of the day anyway so it really didn’t cause any inconvience except for some pain.

anyone else go through something similar?

My guess is the reason why they say to keep elbows tucked into your body is so this does not happen. 

If if you go down the slide and your arms hit the side I could see getting burnt happening very easy. 

• Like 1

KEEP THOSE ELBOWS AND KNEES IN TIGHT !!      When I rode it on Harmony, I got a rub on my left knee.   Small burn spot then scab later.   If you are a larger individual, I am 6'2", just the way you fit in the little burlap sack makes your arms and knees want to stick out.   You have to really concentrate on keeping elbows and knees in.   You are moving pretty fast on the slide to just a little rub will cause a burn mark.

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I made it down okay.  Got good advice from a very nice young boy,  keep those arms tucked in.  We did hear a poor little kid scream all his way down, he got hurt.  It was sad to see his little, teary face.

My son and I have been discussing the possibility of his almost 5 year old daughter  doing this slide. For what you have said above, I hope my granddaughter does not do this slide for a least a couple years

9 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I would agree to wait until she is older and can understand that she must keep her elbows in.  It is a quick, scary ride, in the dark and with some flashing lights and music in one part.  I imagine a little one might lose focus.

Ok, you just talked me out of doing the slide on Harmony in April.😉😊

Really, you have to do it.  I am claustrophobic and doing it was scary, I have the shirt that says I survived The Ultimate Abyss🤪😳If you keep your elbows in and hold on the way they tell you it will be good. I didn’t do the water slides because of the water in the face, closed in feeling.  Anyway, we loved Harmony in April!

11 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Really, you have to do it.  I am claustrophobic and doing it was scary, I have the shirt that says I survived The Ultimate Abyss🤪😳If you keep your elbows in and hold on the way they tell you it will be good. I didn’t do the water slides because of the water in the face, closed in feeling.  Anyway, we loved Harmony in April!

You are a daredevil though, I am a wimp!  The clear floor that you can see all the way down to the boardwalk is going to be my major issue.  We shall see if I can do it.  Heading out to Anthem again in a couple of weeks, you guys going on Anthem again soon?

I'm surprised they don't make you wear elbow/arm pads.  Went down the Arcelor Mittal Orbit slide in London in March, which seems like a similar type slide, and they make you gear up with padding before going down the slide.  It was a blast!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Just got off Anthem on the 21st.  Going for hip replacement Friday, so no cruising for awhile.  And, no,it was not from the Abyss!!!!!!

Hope you are back to cruising soon, maybe we will catch up to you guys again once you are all healed. 🙂

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Where on the ship did you buy the shirt?

2 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Maybe tossing on a long sleeve shirt for the ride would help.  Maybe pants and long sleeve for a younger rider.  I felt like i had to concentrate on leaning back so as not to hit head.

I am on Symphony next week. I think I will pack a long sleeve shirt and light-weight long pants.