Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MsSoCalCruiser

Ruby Princess Check-In

Recommended Posts

If you've been on the Ruby Princess lately do you remember what time Elite/Platinum check-in and boarding began?  Yes, we received the progressive check-in letter but we are wanting to have lunch early on the ship.  Our dining time is 5 PM and our progressive check in time is well after lunch. Thank you 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

If you've been on the Ruby Princess lately do you remember what time Elite/Platinum check-in and boarding began?  Yes, we received the progressive check-in letter but we are wanting to have lunch early on the ship.  Our dining time is 5 PM and our progressive check in time is well after lunch. Thank you 😊

Have not been on the Ruby, but in San Pedro check in usually starts around 10:30. Boarding normally begins around noon and maybe 11:30 or sooner with priority boarders. If you are Elite you will board after Full Suite passengers and a few other small groups of priority boarders. After Elites then Platinum and then all others. Once boarding begins it goes quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skynight said:

Have not been on the Ruby, but in San Pedro check in usually starts around 10:30. Boarding normally begins around noon and maybe 11:30 or sooner with priority boarders. If you are Elite you will board after Full Suite passengers and a few other small groups of priority boarders. After Elites then Platinum and then all others. Once boarding begins it goes quickly.

Thank you.  This is perfect. We are only platinum but we will try to get there around 10:30 for check-in.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you.  This is perfect. We are only platinum but we will try to get there around 10:30 for check-in.

In San Pedro they have moved up the Elite/Suite/Platinum boarding to 11:00.

As long as there are no issues from the prior cruise or any inspections etc.

We always try and arrive by 10:00.

Because of this the cabins are usually not available until 1:00pm.

We didn't care we loved the fact that we could board earlier and get to the DR for embarkation lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

In San Pedro they have moved up the Elite/Suite/Platinum boarding to 11:00.

As long as there are no issues from the prior cruise or any inspections etc.

We always try and arrive by 10:00.

Because of this the cabins are usually not available until 1:00pm.

We didn't care we loved the fact that we could board earlier and get to the DR for embarkation lunch.

That was the case on the 3 BVE's I did last year.  I had toured the ship before the dining room for lunch was even open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know when they start boarding.  We parked the car at the pier at noon -- we had had to make an unplanned stop at a Walgreens in San Pedro to pick up some forgotten toiletries/cosmetics before we went to the ship.  

 

Thanks to priority boarding, we were sitting down in the MDR by 12:45.  I was very impressed at how smoothly it went, especially since we were traveling with first timers, and we had not known if they would be allowed to board with us.

 

While we were at lunch, at about 12:50, they announced that the cabins were ready.  So when we finished lunch, we went straight to the cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's usually about 11:30-12:15 depending on the circumstances of that particular day (how fast the earlier passengers got off the ship, and many other reasons).  On our recent cruise, they started boarding Elites at 11:30 which was the earliest we've been on in LA for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, about what time could I expect that Princess will start boarding for non-priority passengers?  I would still like to get into the MDR for lunch, but I believe it closes around 1 pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theloo said:

So, about what time could I expect that Princess will start boarding for non-priority passengers?  I would still like to get into the MDR for lunch, but I believe it closes around 1 pm.

If you get there early then you would get one of the first regular boarding group placards/numbers.

They will start boarding those groups after the priority groups are done. 

I would say within 45 minutes to an hour of the priority groups.

Its first come first served as they start boarding groups based on your arrival time and group number that they gave out at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we had a 1:00-1:30 boarding, we got there at 11:00 and were on board within 25minutes and that was for Ruby in San Pedro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

If you get there early then you would get one of the first regular boarding group placards/numbers.

They will start boarding those groups after the priority groups are done. 

I would say within 45 minutes to an hour of the priority groups.

Its first come first served as they start boarding groups based on your arrival time and group number that they gave out at the time.

Thank you.  I did plan to get there before 11, so after all the paperwork, hopefully, we could board around 12:30?  Our "progressive" boarding time is 2:00 ... haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wocheez said:

we had a 1:00-1:30 boarding, we got there at 11:00 and were on board within 25minutes and that was for Ruby in San Pedro.

Did you have priority boarding?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, theloo said:

So, about what time could I expect that Princess will start boarding for non-priority passengers?  I would still like to get into the MDR for lunch, but I believe it closes around 1 pm.

Dr open on boarding day from noon to 1:30. Get to the pier at 10:00/10:30 and you will be on board in time for lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, theloo said:

Thank you.  I did plan to get there before 11, so after all the paperwork, hopefully, we could board around 12:30?  Our "progressive" boarding time is 2:00 ... haha.

The progressive thing is a suggestion.

 

Getting there at 11:00 may not get you an early enough group.

Probably ok but I would try and arrive by 10:30.

DR is open from Noon-1:30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, theloo said:

Thank you.  I did plan to get there before 11, so after all the paperwork, hopefully, we could board around 12:30?  Our "progressive" boarding time is 2:00 ... haha.

You won't have any problem, we breezed right through the checkin it took literally 10 minutes.  There weren't very many people there yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank  you for all of your replies.

 

We plan on getting there sometime between 10 and 10:30 AM so hopefully we will have lunch in the MDR and then grab a lounge chair on the Lido or the aft pool area... a million times better than my chair in my cubicle  at work. I can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 10:42 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

If you've been on the Ruby Princess lately do you remember what time Elite/Platinum check-in and boarding began?  Yes, we received the progressive check-in letter but we are wanting to have lunch early on the ship.  Our dining time is 5 PM and our progressive check in time is well after lunch. Thank you 😊

 Others have given great advice...but I will relate my experiences..we live 45 minutes away from the port and  always have plans of getting there at 10:30- 11....but alas we typically arrive around 11:30-12:30..being elite we often get a priority boarding pass/number/letter at check in and don't even need it when walking into the waiting room..when they see our cruise card we are directed to the boarding line and walk right on. The new snag is the 1pm, cabins available that you are informed of when checking in early...usually by 12:30 the rooms are ready and if you arrive at this time once you step on the ship, you can drop your carry-on off in your cabin. And still have plenty of time to make lunch in the MDR.

 

I can see no benefit of arriving to the terminal early if you have priority boarding...when you're just waiting in a room with no view and minimal snacks.....another advantage for arriving later is if you are driving to the port, closer parking will be available.

 

BTW the times we have arrived early and there are a lot of priority boarders it has been utter confusion, other times few priority boarders  it is a cake walk.....so it really depends on the itinerary and guests. 

 

another comment....We have arrived at the dining room at 1:20 and received quick and efficient service, as they hope you will be gone by 2:30 so they can set for dinner. I would suggest to arrive at least by 1:20 because I have seen the MD closing the doors at 1:25 .   Enjoy your cruise we will be leaving out of SP next month.

 

 

 

 

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lori (landlover),  Can't wait to see you onboard next month!

Planning to do lunch so going to arrive at around 10:30-11:00.  Always arrive at that time and have been onboard by 12:00.  I'm so anxious for some warmer weather in Mexico.  Looking forward to our sailaway!

 

nana :classic_smile: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, land lover said:

 Others have given great advice...but I will relate my experiences..we live 45 minutes away from the port and  always have plans of getting there at 10:30- 11....but alas we typically arrive around 11:30-12:30..being elite we often get a priority boarding pass/number/letter at check in and don't even need it when walking into the waiting room..when they see our cruise card we are directed to the boarding line and walk right on. The new snag is the 1pm, cabins available that you are informed of when checking in early...usually by 12:30 the rooms are ready and if you arrive at this time once you step on the ship, you can drop your carry-on off in your cabin. And still have plenty of time to make lunch in the MDR.

 

I can see no benefit of arriving to the terminal early if you have priority boarding...when you're just waiting in a room with no view and minimal snacks.....another advantage for arriving later is if you are driving to the port, closer parking will be available.

 

BTW the times we have arrived early and there are a lot of priority boarders it has been utter confusion, other times few priority boarders  it is a cake walk.....so it really depends on the itinerary and guests. 

 

another comment....We have arrived at the dining room at 1:20 and received quick and efficient service, as they hope you will be gone by 2:30 so they can set for dinner. I would suggest to arrive at least by 1:20 because I have seen the MD closing the doors at 1:25 .   Enjoy your cruise we will be leaving out of SP next month.

 

 

 

 

 

   

Thank you for sharing with me.  We are hoping to get onboard as early as we can.   If we end up being late I will remember the 1:25 PM cut off time. I know if we eat lunch that late we won't be hungry for our super early 5 PM dinner. Enjoy your cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:31 PM, theloo said:

Thank you.  I did plan to get there before 11, so after all the paperwork, hopefully, we could board around 12:30?  Our "progressive" boarding time is 2:00 ... haha.

I think the progressive times are good for some PAX and "just showing up early" is good for others.  It all depends on your priorities on embarkation day.  Those who have a priority of being seated in MDR for lunch that day should be showing up earlier than the progressive check in times.  For those who don't mind eating lunch in Horizon Court or poolside venues may find the progressive check in time beneficial.  DW does not handle the long lines in crowded airports and Port Everglades well.  For us, getting to the ship at 10:30 always meant a long wait in the seats for our group to be called.  If we show up at the suggested check in time, rather than the earlier boarding, we avoid the 'rat race' and security, check in and boarding lines are quicker and less stressful for DW than dealing with the earlier 'rush hour.'  The added bonus for embarking at the suggested time is that the cabin may already be available and we can enjoy our balcony right away.

 

Again, early boarding works very well for some and progressive works well for others.  It all depends on how you plan to spend the first two or three hours of your cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...