Royal's MDR "Suggestions" and "Reccomendations" Are Lost On The Mass Market Steerage

Of course it is simple for those that like to go to dinner like they just mucked out the barn.  For those that have different tastes, seeing otherwise is kind of like breathing second hand smoke on your balcony.  It's eye pollution.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Of course it is simple for those that like to go to dinner like they just mucked out the barn.  For those that have different tastes, seeing otherwise is kind of like breathing second hand smoke on your balcony.  It's eye pollution.

Why do you let what others wear bother you? I personally don’t wear shorts or a Tee to MDR dinner but if someone does, I sure don’t let it affect us. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 2

It doesn't bother me to the point that I would ever say or do anything about it but I do think it detracts from the experience and wish people would do otherwise.  I like nice things.  When I go to a good restaurant, I expect that there will be a level of decorum and dress from the other patrons that is commiserate with the experience. When I'm at Ruth's Chris I have an expectation that sitting next to me won't be 5 screaming children, one of which is crawling under the table and the another flicking Mac and cheese at tables around them.  I wish that RC would be able  to, more strongly, encourage a higher standard of dress. It would be an improvement to the overall experience. in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Why do you let what others wear bother you? 

For the same reason you let smokers and vapers bother you. 

I don't personally smoke or vape, but they are using a legal product and I'm not bothered if they want to shorten their lifespan.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

For the same reason you let smokers and vapers bother you. 

I don't personally smoke or vape, but they are using a legal product and I'm not bothered if they want to shorten their lifespan.

The two have NOTHING in common. In the State of Florida, smoking and vaping are prohibited in public indoor areas, PERIOD. It’s the law. Dress code is a suggestion, not a rule and certainly not a law. Smoke and second smoke has been proven to be harmful to those that smoke and to those subject to secondhand smoke. I’m not aware of any studies that dressing a certain way is harmful to one’s health. Try again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Why do you let what others wear bother you? I personally don’t wear shorts or a Tee to MDR dinner but if someone does, I sure don’t let it affect us. 

Actually dress either way above or below the standard give us something to talk about at dinner.

So, keep wearing that matching tuxedo to formal gown outfit, and your wife beater stripper pole dancer outfit to dinner.  You are our entertainment.

jc

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The two have NOTHING in common. In the State of Florida, smoking and vaping are prohibited in public indoor areas, PERIOD. It’s the law. Dress code is a suggestion, not a rule and certainly not a law. Smoke and second smoke has been proven to be harmful to those that smoke and to those subject to secondhand smoke. I’m not aware of any studies that dressing a certain way is harmful to one’s health. Try again. 

Nobody forcing you to breathe in second hand smoke. Especially in the concentrations that could possibly cause you harm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m not aware of any studies that dressing a certain way is harmful to one’s health.

Some of the inappropriate outfits I've seen in the MDR have caused me to become nausea. 

Does that count?

• Haha 1

Like a previous poster I also saw someone wear what looked like pyjamas in the MDR.

It was our first cruise in the US in a long time and it definitely seems like anything goes ‘no rules’ for you guys over there.

Its quite different here in the UK/Europe and very different on Middle East sailings.

I do like to dress up a bit for dinner,  though we no longer bring long gowns and tux. As long as the person at our table has at least washed and had a change of clothes that's fine with me. Would have a problem if they smelt of BO because they hadn't washed/changed. But it is nice to see how nicely everyone scrubs up when they make an effort 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clean1owner said:

Nobody forcing you to breathe in second hand smoke. Especially in the concentrations that could possibly cause you harm.

So, when we're stuck in a cloud of smoke, nobody is forcing us to breathe? You're right, we could just hold our breath all week. Great idea. There is absolutely no correlation between people smoking around me and people dressing like slobs around me. While I may not enjoy seeing people dressing like slobs, they don't stink up the air and fill my lungs with crap. As a former smoker, I understand your beliefs. However, once you quit and discover how disgusting the smell is, it is not something you would ever choose to be around.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/7/2019 at 11:48 AM, LittleMissMagic said:

I stopped caring about what other people wear on formal nights years ago.  I wear what I want, they wear what they want.  Everyone should be happy, right?

This ^^^^^^^^

I always wear a blazer and tie for formal night.  And my SO wears a nice dress and heels.

For non-formal nights, I wear long pants, shoes, and a collared button up shirt.

I am happy.  I have considered buying a tux, just because, but when I talked to my tailor, it was a bit much for a few cruises.  And since all my work suits are custom tailored, I cannot see going down for a tux.

Oh, and BTW, I do like to eat at Golden Corral at times, and wear shorts and flip flops, no backwards baseball cap. 😄

Edited by SRF

On 1/7/2019 at 6:48 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Currently sailing on RCI.  The MDR looks like the Golden Corral on Friday night - even on the so-called "formal" night.  Men in shorts, T shirts, flip flops, ball caps. Women in shorts and tank tops.

We read the fine print in the daily Compass and it reads "Dress Suggestion: Formal" and "Please note that short pants, slippers & hats are not reccomended at dinner time.  Bare feet and tank tops will not be permitted in the main dining room"

Suggestions and recommendations apparently have no effect on the mass market crowd.

Maybe when they start serving something that does not resemble the food at Golden Corral, then people would feel obligated to dress.  Until then, if I go to the MDR - its khakis and a polo. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Maybe when they start serving something that does not resemble the food at Golden Corral, then people would feel obligated to dress.  Until then, if I go to the MDR - its khakis and a polo. 

Agreed.

People also used to dress up/formal to fly 30 years ago and that stopped.  Everyone got a meal, 2 bags etc...  LOL, they had smoking sections on the plane too.  Things aren't what they used to be, and cruising has changed too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2019 at 7:26 PM, clean1owner said:

Blah, blah, blah not enough room in the suitcase. Blah, blah, blah it's MY vacation. Blah, blah, blah why should you care what others wear in the dining room. Blah, blah, blah it's only suggested. Blah, blah, blah if you don't like it pay to cruise on a luxury line that enforces the dress code. 

People have a thousand reasons to look like slobs in the MDR.

Yet, if those very same people see someone smoking 1 foot out of the smoking boundaries, experience someone coming into the MDR or an elevator smelling like smoke, or smell smoke from their balcony because someone is burning a heater outside (GASP!), they will not hesitate to complain like it's the end of civilized life. Why should they care if smokers want to shorten their own lifespan?

And should you suggest they seek out a ship that is non-smoking bow to stern, you get "I don't need you or anyone else telling me how to spend my vacation $$$" , "They just need to make ALL ships smoke free", or something very similar. 

Until RCCL or any of the other "mainstream" cruise lines actually start enforcing MDR dress codes, unfortunately it will probably only get worse.

Who knows? Maybe it's their way to get more people buying the dining packages.

I’d much rather sit by a man wearing a baseball cap than one who smells like smoke.

• Like 3