Royal's MDR "Suggestions" and "Reccomendations" Are Lost On The Mass Market Steerage

The world has changed, like it or not. 

Look at old pictures of even people walking a seaside boardwalk, and you’ll see women in dresses and men in suits.  

Change is inevitable, but that’s no reason that you can’t dress the way you want.  Last cruise on formal night on the Promenade saw everything  from cut off shorts and work boots, to women in beautiful gowns and men dressed to the 9s. 

Do what  makes YOU happy, and forget others!  Life is TOO short!

Edited by fdthird
Fat fingers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RonPaula said:

I also wish that cruisers would make more of an effort to meet the dress suggestions put forth by the cruise line, however it doesn't affect my dining enjoyment at all.  I am dismayed by the lack of table manners exhibited by MDR diners.  On my last two cruises I witnessed people lowering their heads toward the table and shoveling food into their mouths and jamming rolls into their mouths.  Elbows were all over the table.  I understand that manners are something that are taught and can't be suggested by a cruise line, but again it is a lack of effort by the vacationer.  I suppose it is just another thing that I will have to overlook if I want to continue mainline cruising.

Or cutting up all their food first, then putting the fork in their right hand as a baby, and eating all the now cold bites.

26 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yes, I painted with a pretty broad stroke. Deserving, though. After all, it is statistics. I don't have the exact numbers but it's extremely high, the number of passengers on a cruise ship that are spending money they don't have. Again, with a very broad stroke of my brush, these are the same people wearing shorts and tee-shirts in the MDR and being rude and inconsiderate to fellow passengers. Never used to be that way. 

Edited by rusty nut

21 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

Yes, I painted with a pretty broad stroke. Deserving, though. After all, it is statistics. I don't have the exact numbers but it's extremely high, the number of passengers on a cruise ship that are spending money they don't have. Again, with a very broad stroke of my brush, these are the same people wearing shorts and tee-shirts in the MDR and being rude and inconsiderate to fellow passengers. Never used to be that way. 

People or all wage grids are spending more than they are making. It isn’t statistics, it’s a reality.  Gasp, some in fancy clothing might even be running up their credit card debt load to look better. 

As for rude people, they are everywhere and wear everything.  

Edited by A&L_Ont

While I would much prefer that everyone was dressed up on formal night (not tuxes, but dressed up), I've given up on any expectations.  ...and I don't see it ever going back.  Once you start things going more and more casual it's nearly impossible to reign it back in.  

Going, going, almost gone is the feel of those special, elegant nights when being on the ship truly felt luxurious, surrounded by well appointed passengers, eating wonderful food, in a beautiful environment.  

Oh well, we'll still get dressed up on formal nights.  Sport coat and slacks for me, shirt/tie and slacks for my son, and dresses for my wife and daughters.  Not "Tux formal".  At least we still allow ourselves that special night together and I hope that on average more fellow passengers do than don't.

Dan

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

People or all wage grids are spending more than they are making. It isn’t statistics, it’s a reality.  Gasp, some in fancy clothing might even be running up their credit card debt load to look better. 

As for rude people, they are everywhere and wear everything.  

No argument, there.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

They aren't insults when they are actually correct observations.  

Well, that's where you fail to see that you have been insulting in many of your posts.  Who cares what people wear!

I think that if some of the posters here are that bothered by what people wear, maybe they should consider other cruise lines.  Are those people your family or friends?  So what does it matter what they wear, how they paid for their cruise, or their table manners. If you have to be insulting, rude or nasty, just don't post.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

While I would much prefer that everyone was dressed up on formal night (not tuxes, but dressed up), I've given up on any expectations.  ...and I don't see it ever going back.  Once you start things going more and more casual it's nearly impossible to reign it back in.  

Going, going, almost gone is the feel of those special, elegant nights when being on the ship truly felt luxurious, surrounded by well appointed passengers, eating wonderful food, in a beautiful environment.  

Oh well, we'll still get dressed up on formal nights.  Sport coat and slacks for me, shirt/tie and slacks for my son, and dresses for my wife and daughters.  Not "Tux formal".  At least we still allow ourselves that special night together and I hope that on average more fellow passengers do than don't.

Dan

👏

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

They aren't insults when they are actually correct observations.  Steerage is simply a historical reference to a part of the ship that held passengers with the cheapest tickets.  Golden Corral is what it is and I think it's patrons is a fair comparison to what some would make the MDR on a Royal Caribbean to be.  I shop at Walmart.  Walmart isn't an insult.  How I dress when I go to Walmart and when I go out for good meal are different.  Walmart is representative of a type of appearance incongruent with what some of us would like to see in the MDR of a cruise ship.

If it insults you to be compared to Golden Corral diners and Walmart patrons don't dress like a Golden Corral diner and a Walmart patron when going to the MDR. Remember, it's our vacation too, we can do what we like.

The fact that you keep trying to lump me in with the group that doesn't follow the dress code despite the fact that I've told you I follow the dress code is telling.

I'm not insulted, because it's not directed at me, and the people it is directed at may not be insulted either, but they're still insults. And the insult is all in the context. Some people believe that there's nothing wrong with shopping at Wal-Mart, and them saying that someone shops at Wal-Mart is in no way an insult. Others believe that shopping at Wal-Mart is a "low class" activity, and them saying that someone shops at Wal-Mart is an insult, whether the receiver feels (or even notices) it or not. Now, when someone says that people look like they're at Wal-Mart, the context very clearly puts them into the second group, making it a very clear insult. That sort of statement is simply vile, and it's the worst sort of insult in that the person tries to pretend like they're not being vile and not insulting others, possibly even to themselves.

Edited by wytygr8

2 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

Well, that's where you fail to see that you have been insulting in many of your posts.  Who cares what people wear!

I think that if some of the posters here are that bothered by what people wear, maybe they should consider other cruise lines.  Are those people your family or friends?  So what does it matter what they wear, how they paid for their cruise, or their table manners. If you have to be insulting, rude or nasty, just don't post.  

As far as being insulting... I've just stated what my preference would be if I had any say in the matter.  I don't.  You're being rude and nasty me by telling me not to post here anymore.  It certainly doesn't seem to bother you. This discussion certainly beats the 473rd discussion on whether you can buy the deluxe drink package for one passenger without buying it for two. Maybe if people with differing opinions than yours is so upsetting for you maybe you shouldn't post to any forum.

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, KimPossible1 said:

You had me question your intent when you spelled "Recommendations" wrong in the title

That was the way it was spelled in the Cruise Compass.  I should have noted that with (sic) after each intentional mispelling in my quotes.

12 minutes ago, little britain said:

The 2 things that I see that really bug me ......  baseball caps (either forward or backward) which should never be worn at a dining room table, at any time of day;  and you should never cut your bread roll with your knife...you should break it.

Yes and yes. That being said it won’t effect my meal. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

People who are buying fine clothes for fine dining are WAY more likely to be spending money they don't have than people who are going one of the cheapest vacation options available.

21 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

There's certainly no way to go back to the entire ship being like that, but it wouldn't be at all difficult to make specific areas of the ship, including some dining rooms, like that, if Royal actually cared to do so, but so long as the people who want that sort of experience are more interested in insulting other passengers than making complaints to Royal, it'll never happen.

5 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

The fact that you keep trying to lump me in with the group that doesn't follow the dress code despite the fact that I've told you I follow the dress code is telling.

I'm not insulted, because it's not directed at me, and the people it is directed at may not be insulted either, but they're still insults. And the insult is all in the context. Some people believe that there's nothing wrong with shopping at Wal-Mart, and them saying that someone shops at Wal-Mart is in no way an insult. Others believe that shopping at Wal-Mart is a "low class" activity, and them saying that someone shops at Wal-Mart is an insult, whether the receiver feels (or even notices) it or not. Now, when someone says that people look like a Wal-Mart, the context very clearly puts them into the second group, making it a very clear insult. That sort of statement is simply vile, and it's the worst sort of insult in that the person tries to pretend like they're not being vile and not insulting others, possibly even to themselves.

The fact that you consider it an insult is not on me, that's on you.  I have stated, repeatedly, that I don't consider it an insult but an accurate description of a standard dress.  Don't project your bias and stereo-types onto my views.  If you consider a statement referencing Walmart shoppers automatically forces at certain context I would suggest you are the one with the vile and insulting prejudice.   I have already stated that I shop at Walmart and the standard of dress that I expect to see and the standard of dress that I expect at a decent restaurant are different. Any other interpretation to my words other than their actual, literal,  meaning is unfair.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

As far as being insulting... I've just stated what my preference would be if I had any say in the matter.  I don't.  You're being rude and nasty me by telling me not to post here anymore.  It certainly doesn't seem to bother you. This discussion certainly beats the 473rd discussion on whether you can buy the deluxe drink package for one passenger without buying it for two. Maybe if people with differing opinions than yours is so upsetting for you maybe you shouldn't post to any forum.

You clearly are not able to understand how your posts could be insulting, so just keep posting away, you only make yourself look bad.  Differing opinions don't bother me, and neither does what people wear, how much they spend on vacation, or their table manners.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, little britain said:

The 2 things that I see that really bug me ......  baseball caps (either forward or backward) which should never be worn at a dining room table, at any time of day;  and you should never cut your bread roll with your knife...you should break it.

👏

2 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

You clearly are not able to understand how your posts could be insulting, so just keep posting away, you only make yourself look bad.  Differing opinions don't bother me, and neither does what people wear, how much they spend on vacation, or their table manners.  

Are you sure... You told me not to post anymore in a previous post.  Have you changed your mind.

11 minutes ago, little britain said:

you should never cut your bread roll with your knife...you should break it.

If you're going that route, you should never put your bread on your plate and should put it on the table next to your plate.

3 minutes ago, mngolfer said:

Wait, there isn’t a dress code at Golden Corral?

I would hazard a guess it is something along the lines of "shirt and shoes required".  Which leaves the open question of "pants optional"?

For those who are upset by how people dress in the MDR, I have some questions...

How do you dress when you're travelling by plane?  Jacket and tie?

Passengers007.jpg

Do you regularly wear hats while being out and about?

New-Years-Eve-1906-07-Trinity-Church-Wal

If not, you should be ashamed of yourself.  Don't you know others are judging what you wear?  And by not wearing "proper clothes", it makes you look like a slob?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1