Viking River Cruises - payment plan

denbydilbert

44 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

I get money back twice from costco - an executive membership rebate that is redeemable at Costco, and a check from my credit card that Costco gives me cash (or, usually, a check I can take to the bank) for....So if you have the credit card and get the check in the Feb statement, you don't have to use it at Costco - they will give you cash or write a bank check for you. I've been doing it for many years, predating Citi Visa back to the Amex days.....

Thank you! I never knew this. I always thought you had to use the Costco check at the store. 

7 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Thank you! I never knew this. I always thought you had to use the Costco check at the store. 

You can cash the Costco check at the store too.  When I get gas I often need to use the Men's room, so I'm right close to Customer Service.  [Sorry, TMI...]

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You can cash the Costco check at the store too. 

2-3 yrs ago at our store, they stopped giving everyone cash above a certain amount (like, $150-200) and now they handwrite you a "regular" check that I take to the bank - they just don't want to keep enough cash in the store to cash out everyone's rebates, which I understand. I still get the money, don't have to use it at Costco - just takes one more step....

• Thanks 1

We're booked on the Romantic Danube July 2020.  Initially I contacted Viking myself and was told over the phone that the final payment would be due 12 months (or was it 18?) prior to departure.  I balked at that and the person I spoke to say that they might be able to "work" with us if we decided to book for sure.  I then contacted a travel agent I have used and she was able to get our final payment 6 months before departure.  We would not have booked if we had to pay a year in advance.  Maybe you just have to push?

Edited by debbie311

1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

We're booked on the Romantic Danube July 2020.  Initially I contacted Viking myself and was told over the phone that the final payment would be due 12 months (or was it 18?) prior to departure.  I balked at that and the person I spoke to say that they might be able to "work" with us if we decided to book for sure.  I then contacted a travel agent I have used and she was able to get our final payment 6 months before departure.  We would not have booked if we had to pay a year in advance.  Maybe you just have to push?

Sounds like you lucked out but your story seems to be the exception not the rule since November 1, even for those who are repeat guests and even for those who use a TA.

Edited by Peregrina651

• 2 years later...

Two perhaps useful facts:

1. Viking River cruises does, in fact, have a Merchant Category Code. It's MCC 4411, which is the MCC that all travel and cruise companies are supposed to use.  This can be important for holders of "reward" credit cards that offer bonus rewards for travel ... most of those cards base the "travel" reward on whether the cruise vendor uses MCC 4411, and that means your Viking cruise purchase will qualify for the extra reward bonus.

2. I was not able to negotiate a significant extension of the due date (e.g., debbie311).  However, I was told by the agent that Customer Service will routinely give you an extension of a few days if you call them and ask for it (877-668-4546).  This can be really important for situations where your cash availability, or tax liability, coincides with the due date.

In the UK deposits aren't refundable, and are 25%. Cancellation by the customer is not likely, hence the final payment date.  Viking know they have definitely sold that cabin. The Viking terms and conditions are normal for the UK/Europe. 

My theory is the final payment terms in the US are a Viking workaround to stop the cancel and rebook/change of mind/ risk of empty cabins possible with the US refundable deposits. 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1