Wide age range and one disabled person

Landlocked_Trish

Hello, I'm the main vacation planner for four people. My son will be almost 12 when we're looking at going. My friend's son will be 20. We're in our 40s, and she will need either an ECV or motorized wheelchair.  I'm looking at Royal Caribbean, Navigator of the Seas, the 4 day cruise for January of 2020. My son has his heart set on the waterslides onboard.  Would there be enough to keep the youngest adult busy on the ship? Can I let my tween go to the slides and pools on his own if I want to do other things? Will the ship be accommodating for my friend's mobility issues?

Thank you!

The first question you have to answer, does the wheelchair collapse to get through 21" door opening. If it doesn't or if it's a "power chair" you may require a "accessible" cabin. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Several other places here I suggest you visit:  The disabled Cruise Travel forum under Special Interest Cruising: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/  to ask about accommodation for disability.  Royal Caribbean forum, under Cruise Lines P-Z for experiences on Navigator and other ships of her class.  I looked over pictures of her, and I am not seeing any slides.  Rock climbing wall and flowrider...https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Conventional wisdom is that the younger one should go to the kids club meeting the first night, because he can then meet others near his age and often they hang out together, form groups that first night.  The older one can probably meet others near his age if he hangs out around the sports court.  EM

1 minute ago, Essiesmom said:

Conventional wisdom is that the younger one should go to the kids club meeting the first night, because he can then meet others near his age and often they hang out together, form groups that first night.  The older one can probably meet others near his age if he hangs out around the sports court.  EM

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Landlocked_Trish said:

Thank you,  I should have added that I plan on an accessible cabin.

Information only, accessible cabins quickly get booked. If your looking for an accessible cabin for four, you may want to lock up a reservation ASAP

Hi Trish and welcome to CC 🙂

Cruise ships in general are great for people who use wheelchairs (I use a powerchair on board). I have found nearly everyone I have encountered (crew and pax alike) to be helpful and accommodating. As jlp20 said, accessible cabins get booked well ahead so please take that into account and don't delay too long (we had to book last year's med cruise more than 12 months in advance to get a cabin on any ship in our preferred window for travel).

Your tween son will be able to do many of the activities on his own, or with the older boy, you won't have to be with him every minute of the day.

I can't speak specifically for the 20yo but there is lots to do onboard, I would be surprised if there was nothing that suited him.

16 hours ago, cb at sea said:

At 14, your son will be fine without you watching him.

The OP stated that her son will be  almost 12 when they plan to go on the cruise.  Depending on the child, letting an 11 yr-old roam around on their own( especially near the pool) might not be a great decision.  Where did you come up with 14?  Read slower...you'l still have lots of posts.

9 minutes ago, Rala said:

The OP stated that her son will be  almost 12 when they plan to go on the cruise.  Depending on the child, letting an 11 yr-old roam around on their own( especially near the pool) might not be a great decision.  Where did you come up with 14?  Read slower...you'l still have lots of posts.

He's a smart kid, and is pretty level headed, but I don't want to be tied to the pool all the time. We went to Universal Studios Orlando in December, and when we weren't at the parks, he was at the hotel pools or lazy river, and checked in every hour. 

1 minute ago, Landlocked_Trish said:

He's a smart kid, and is pretty level headed, but I don't want to be tied to the pool all the time. We went to Universal Studios Orlando in December, and when we weren't at the parks, he was at the hotel pools or lazy river, and checked in every hour. 

Trish...You know your own child and it sounds like he will be fine.. I was just commenting on cbatsea's post that you really don't need to  "watch" a 14-yr. old when you stated that your son will be almost 12 when you cruise.  Some posters just rattle off stock answers and don't read as carefully as perhaps they should.. I hope your family has a wonderful time on your cruise!

1 minute ago, Rala said:

Trish...You know your own child and it sounds like he will be fine.. I was just commenting on cbatsea's post that you really don't need to  "watch" a 14-yr. old when you stated that your son will be almost 12 when you cruise.  Some posters just rattle off stock answers and don't read as carefully as perhaps they should.. I hope your family has a wonderful time on your cruise!

Thank you.  I talked to him about the kids club and making friends, and he likes that idea. That way he could find others who want to play in the water most of the time. 

1 minute ago, Landlocked_Trish said:

Thank you.  I talked to him about the kids club and making friends, and he likes that idea. That way he could find others who want to play in the water most of the time. 

That sounds like a plan to me!!!   Hope he has a great time.  :-)