Single use plastic on Windstar

Karen13

We are currently on the Costa Rica and Panama Canal Cruise, which is wonderful so far.

However as a passenger from the UK I am surprised that in Costa Rica generally, and on the Star Breeze,  the use of plastic straws and single use plastic water bottles are still widespread, given the emphasis on conservation and ecologically sustainable practices. 

Windstar have pioneered the use of glass water containers in the cabins. Perhaps they could consider using reusable water bottels when on shore excursions? Plastic straws are being outlawed in the UK in favour of waxed plastic ones which are biodegradable. 

Why does one need drinking straws at all?

I don't think waxing plastic straws makes them biodegradable by the way.

BITD when I was a kid and we had free school milk in 7 ounce glass bottles we were given paper straws. They worked fine.

Until Maggie Thatcher " Milk Snatcher" took it away from the kids.

Edited by Griller

Sorry Griller, I meant waxed paper straws! And I remember glass milk bottles at school too.

I don’t need straws either, although I appreciate some people may want them. I have decided to tell the bar staff on board I do not want a plastic straw in future.

On Star Pride in December the bottled water i the room was a liter plastic bottle. As you left the ship there were small bottles of water to take with you. The glass bottles we had seen on Windstar before, one still water and one bubbly, were not i the cabin. Perhaps they have discontinued this.

On Star Legend last May, we had refillable glass bottles in the stateroom for the crossing from Japan to Alaska, but for the Alaska cruise, they took them out and had plastic water bottles instead. They said that in the US, they had to do that due to US regulations. Perhaps Star Pride in December was somewhere with a similar issue?

They always offer plastic water bottles for excursions, but you don't have to take one. I use a hydration bladder in my pack. For the Panama & Costa Rica cruise on Wind Star that I just finished, I'd put in a couple of scoops of ice from the server at the new Yacht Club coffee area in the lounge. Nice cool water to drink & it made the pack cooler to wear in the heat.

Multiple people in my cruise we're concerned about the straws too.

Edited by new_cruiser

We just debarked the Surf and had the two glass jugs of water in our room refilled daily. We were also asked if we wanted a straw when served a drink and we just said no. After the first day they just stopped asking and knew not to give us one.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:39 AM, new_cruiser said:

On Star Legend last May, we had refillable glass bottles in the stateroom for the crossing from Japan to Alaska, but for the Alaska cruise, they took them out and had plastic water bottles instead. They said that in the US, they had to do that due to US regulations. Perhaps Star Pride in December was somewhere with a similar issue?

That makes no sense. There are glass pitchers of water in the dining room used to fill glasses. There must be another reason. On the December Star Pride from San Juan there was no onboard barbecue dinner and we were told it had to do with US regulations. No one from the staff could tell me what the regulations are and how they apply. I missed this dinner party.

Edited by susiesan

43 minutes ago, susiesan said:

That makes no sense. There are glass pitchers of water in the dining room used to fill glasses. There must be another reason. On the December Star Pride from San Juan there was no onboard barbecue dinner and we were told it had to do with US regulations. No one from the staff could tell me what the regulations are and how they apply. I missed this dinner party.

I was on the Star Legend roundtrip San Juan two years ago, and we had the onboard barbecue dinner.

Edited by ridethetide
error

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

It seems possible that there is a difference between the water bottles in the suites and the pitchers in the dining rooms. It could be a difference in washability or because the pitchers are handled only by staff. Since they changed the glass bottles to plastic when we started the the Alaska segment of the Pacific crossing plus Alaska cruise Star Collector, I believe them when they said that they did it because of the US requirements (at least as they understood them). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 1:36 PM, susiesan said:

On the December Star Pride from San Juan there was no onboard barbecue dinner and we were told it had to do with US regulations. No one from the staff could tell me what the regulations are and how they apply. I missed this dinner party.

I have to make a correction; looked at pictures of the cabin, and there was s plastic bottle of water in the room.  But, also on Star Pride cruise in Dec from San Juan, and there was no deck barbecue.  No one could tell me why.  No idea what regulations would prohibit this and it was disappointing the lack of this barbecue wasn’t mentioned in the information on this cruise.

Edited by 6rugrats

The smart thing to do would to leave a branded refillable water bottle for each passenger in their stateroom at the start of the cruise.  It would be a ton cheaper and think of the free advertising long after the cruise as people use them in the gym, workplace, wherever.   Offer refill stations around the ship and encourage people to carry them ashore.

When we cruised the Med on Windstar we both brought a refillable water bottle from home and refilled it at breakfast each morning and at a bar or in the fitness center during the rest of the day as needed.  

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:36 AM, susiesan said:

It doesn't have to make sense. It is a regulation from the US Public Health Service. USPH Claims that the glass bottles and covers are too difficult to clean, so they are prohibited on ships sailing in US Waters. They approve, however, of glass pitchers in dining rooms. USPH also does not like refillable bottles for water. Too many people drink directly from the bottle, then when they refill the bottle, the bottle rim that touched their lips makes contact with the refill spout, contaminating it for the next users.

Same story for open Deck BBQs. USPH now requires a roof over the BBQ buffets and the outdoor dining areas. They also require handwashing stations with hot water, soap and towels, located no more than 24 feet away from any food prep or service area and staff. The stations cannot be located in an area where the users must open a door to wash their hands. All the cruise lines are scrambling to re-build their BBQ areas to comply with these new regulations. Until they remodel the ship, outdoor BBQs on ships are strictly forbidden in US Waters.

Your tax dollars at work....................................

Edited by BruceMuzz

1 hour ago, BruceMuzz said:

It doesn't have to make sense. It is a regulation from the US Public Health Service. USPH Claims that the glass bottles and covers are too difficult to clean, so they are prohibited on ships sailing in US Waters. They approve, however, of glass pitchers in dining rooms. USPH also does not like refillable bottles for water. Too many people drink directly from the bottle, then when they refill the bottle, the bottle rim that touched their lips makes contact with the refill spout, contaminating it for the next users.

Same story for open Deck BBQs. USPH now requires a roof over the BBQ buffets and the outdoor dining areas. They also require handwashing stations with hot water, soap and towels, located no more than 24 feet away from any food prep or service area and staff. The stations cannot be located in an area where the users must open a door to wash their hands. All the cruise lines are scrambling to re-build their BBQ areas to comply with these new regulations. Until they remodel the ship, outdoor BBQs on ships are strictly forbidden in US Waters.

Your tax dollars at work....................................

Hi Bruce, Would this apply to a sailing leaving San Diego to Puerto Vallarta, one way? Not coming back to the US. Or only those closed loop originating/returning to a US port? Thanks!

1 hour ago, minidonuts85 said:

Hi Bruce, Would this apply to a sailing leaving San Diego to Puerto Vallarta, one way? Not coming back to the US. Or only those closed loop originating/returning to a US port? Thanks!

We had a deck BBQ and glass water bottles refilled daily on the crossing from Japan to Alaska. The glass bottles were replaced with refillable ones when we got to Alaska. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

We had a deck BBQ and glass water bottles refilled daily on the crossing from Japan to Alaska. The glass bottles were replaced with refillable ones when we got to Alaska. 

Thanks! I was hoping that to be the case for our one way sail out of the US.