Seeking best day resort for PV - AI please

CA_Cruzing

Wife and I are on MR cruise 3-9-19 and we are seeking a great resort for the day experience in PV. 

Looking for good food, drink, pools and beach likely at an AI resort. 

Please post and and share your experiences and recommendations. 

This is our 4th MR cruise and we’ve spent many trips shopping and enjoying Old Town. So we’re seeking to relax and enjoy a casual day at a resort. 

Thanks in in advance for your help, input and recommendations. 

Hotels like Mariott, and Westin in the Marina section give out daypasses when they are not fully booked. You pay a certain amount  I think it is about US$ 35 of which a certain portion is for food and drinks. You need a cab to get there but it is a short ride.

As far as I know Hyatt Ziva had an allin pass for US$ 65 but you need a cab to get there since it is in the southern part of town. Driving time will be about 20/30 minugtes. Rates can be changed during the season, so check before getting there.

Hotel Krystal had free passes to cruise passengers in the past, but that might have changed since Hilton took over a large part of the gardens and pool.

Often cruiselines offer a package with transport to certain  hotels in Nuevo Vallarta. 

Thank you, Ine.

We prefer to not book through the cruise line and prefer to strike out on our own.

We emailed Secrets in PV and have their pricing/info. Seeking additional data from anyone's past experiences or recommendations.

Nuevo Vallarta looks nice but we know nothing about the hotels up there. Would like to get more replies and feedback to this post if possible.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:11 PM, Gmumby said:

Wife and I walked to the Hilton from the cruise terminal. It had everything you are asking for: Pool, food and beach. Cost was $70/person. We are about to do it again in February!

Hi there,  so was this the Hilton Puerto Vallarta?  I have emailed them for a March.  It does look very nice.  And you were able yo just walk there?  Thanks 

20 hours ago, milolii said:

Hi there,  so was this the Hilton Puerto Vallarta?  I have emailed them for a March.  It does look very nice.  And you were able yo just walk there?  Thanks 

Can you post the info from Secrets? Not sure what we are going to do yet, but this might be a good day for pool lounging since we have been to PV before as well. We will be there in March as well.

Can you post the info you find out from HIlton? I chatted with someone on their web site and they said there are no day passes available. Most likely put me on hold and called as they didn't have the info, so not 100% this is accurate. If you hear back from the hotel directly confirming that would be good. I will look around and see what other options there are.

Will let you know if I come across anything interesting.

Thanks! Stacey : )

Edited by CurlyQgrL
Updated info

The pool at the Krystal was pretty small if I was looking at the right resort. Hard Rock is all inclusive but a 3 year old review says it is $100 and only if hotel not 80% full.

Came across this info on trip advisor for the Marriott. This looks like a great option if we decide to do this. Gorgeous pool, beach, about 10 mins taxi from port.

<<On our cruise to the Panama Canal we stopped at Puerto Vallarta and decided to get a day pass for the Marriott. We spent a wonderful day. The Marriott is not far from the cruise port, just a quick taxi ride away. The day pass was extremely reasonable, about $35 for the day which included $30 to spend at the resort. The pool area was large and very beautiful, and there is also a pretty white sand beach if you want more adventure. We enjoyed drinks by the pool; the bar staff was great. Lunch at their outdoor restaurant was delicious too, and again most of this was covered by our $60 joint credit. If we return to Puerto Vallarta for a longer visit, we definitely will stay at this Marriott.>>

http://www.vipmarriottpv.co/day-pass/

Okay web site is outdated... just got this email back so fast!

<<

Thank you for contacting us, it’s a pleasure assisting you with your special requests, the price per person is $650 pesos, includes a $550  pesos credit for food and beverage at the pool area.

In dollars around $37 for adults and for children around $10, the resort credit can only be used at the pool area for food and drinks, to visit other restaurants on the property you can pay directly.The day pass allows you to use the facilities of the pool area and also includes the use of a towel.

The hotel doesn't take reservations for Day passes, you can call us on the same day to check occupancy, day passes are available when occupancy is under the 80%>>

322- 226-0017  

mhrs.pvrmx.concierge@marriotthotels.com

- hotel reserves the right to suspend during blackout dates ect…

Thanks for the idea, we have been a bit undecided about PV.... this looks awesome!

Stacey : )

Edited by CurlyQgrL
Updated info

Here is the information on the Hilton. They do not take reservations in advance either. I am going to send a note the the Hilton in Cabo as well.  

Thank you very much for contacting us!

We do offer day passes. If you come from a cruise ship we have a special price of $59USD per person if you show your cruise ID.

Our resort is all inclusive; this means that all food and beverage will be included in your day pass with some restrictions like some premium liquors, spa, boutique, and Bali Beds.

It is important to let you know that day passes are subject hotel's availability.

Please let us know anything else you may need and be sure it's a pleasure for us to assist you!

Best Regards,

LIZETTE GONZALEZ

CONCIERGE  l  FRONT DESK

lizette.gonzalez@hilton.com

HILTON PUERTO VALLARTA RESORT

d: +52 (322) 176  1175   t: +52 (322) 176 1176

Av. Las Garzas 136-1 Zona Hotelera Nte. Puerto Vallarta Jalisco, C.P. 48333  México

puertovallarta.hilton.com

hilton.com

On 1/12/2019 at 8:24 PM, milolii said:

Yes, we were able to walk there. It really is nice!

From Secrets in PV:

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your upcoming visit to our beautiful city. Yes, our resort welcomes guests through the purchase of a Day or Night  Pass depending on availability. I recommend you send an email 2 days before your visit to confirm availability.

Day Pass at Secrets Vallarta Bay is of $75.00 USD per adult and it is good from 9 am to -5 pm. Anything after 6:00 pm is considered a night pass.

The night pass fee is $75.00 USD Secrets; good from 18:00pm to 1:00am.

Both passes offer you access to all common areas, shows, pools and towels as well as food and drinks are included during the established hours.

ID is requited for registration. Please be prepared to leave it with our staff at the front desk at time of payment. 

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Descripción: cid:image002.jpg@01D450D6.2FAD7FB0

Descripción: cid:image003.jpg@01D450D6.2FAD7FB0

Daniela Flores
Coordinador de Medios Sociales / Social Media Coordinator  
Secrets Vallarta Bay & Now Amber
David Alfaro Siqueiros 164
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco

Tel 322 2262900 Ext. 7105

Dir 322 2262958

Info.sevpv@secretsresorts.com

Info.noapv@nowresorts.com

Doing some research on Carnival's website and it appears Carnival's day resort (one of the shore-ex) is the Hyatt Ziva (Exclusive Resort Getaway is how Carnival lists this shore-ex).

For $95USD for 5 hours (1 hour of which is travel time) this pricing seems ridiculous.

Any comments from previous cruisers who've day-passed at this property?

Hyatt%20Ziva%20Puerto%20Vallarta%20-%20E

Wow that seems really pricey. The one on Coral Princess is $79, imagine it is the same resort? Does anyone know which resort the PV Hotel ex goes to?

Best value and by far the prettiest pool (that I have found so far) is the Marriott for $37... and you get a credit back towards food/drink by the pool. This is not an all inclusive rate, but it costs about $7 plus taxi fare (about 10 mins) so your committing to spending $30.

By comparison the Hilton is $59... walking distance from the pier so you don't have to take a cab but pool area doesn't look as nice as the Marriott. I think I could have a pretty good day at the Marriott for that price paying for food & drinks.

The Hyatt has a very small pool, though looks like a really pretty beach in that little cove but for not much more you could go to the Hard Rock! Gorgeous resort, but a few years back was $100 all inclusive don't know what it is now but if I was going to spend that much I would go to HR.

The only benefit I can see by booking through the cruise is that if the hotels are at 80% capacity or higher, they do not allow the day passes. So if you are going during a busy season, would be worth going through the cruise. I have email addys for several hotels and plan on emailing just before our port day and see what their capacity is . If my top choice is booked, will have back ups to check. I think the only way I would do the cruise ship ex is if the resorts were at capacity and I couldn't do it on my own.

SO easy to grab a cab at the pier, and super easy to get a cab at the resort to return... no reason to get the ship involved. You can also then go when you want, return when you want... so if you want to hang out longer you would have that option, if you want to go into town and do some shopping first or before you head back to the ship, you have that option too.

Also check what the all inclusive rate includes, some do not include the day beds nor premium alcohol. I plan on fruity drinks by the pool and lunch so I don't really need the pricier all inclusive pass and for me its all about the pool. If your more of a beach person, check out all the beaches and compare which one you prefer.

Marriott Trip Advisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150793-d152980-Reviews-Marriott_Puerto_Vallarta_Resort_Spa-Puerto_Vallarta.html

casamagna-marriott-puerto.jpg

exterior.jpg

other.jpg

@CurlyQgrL, I'm leaning towards Marriott and Secrets. I'm awaiting a reply from Secrets to determine what "is" included in their rate (food, alcohol, loungers, etc.)

I'm also a Marriott Rewards member so I'll contact Marriott directly to see if there's any benefits or guarantees I can securee through that relationship.

I've done PV resorts in the past where you get a credit for bar/food and we wound up going over the initial day pass fee. For us, the cost of Secrets, if the AI is actually AI, the value makes sense as $75 pp is my maximum exposure.

If we pay $37 to Marriott and have to spend an additional $30 each for drinks then we're basically at $75 pp for Secrets which IMO has a great pool/beach setup.

If you're willing, can you share the email addresses for each resort you've engaged with? I'd like to have 3 options in my plans and I'm sure one of the 3 will work for my needs.

I did just email Hotel RIU to see if they offer a day pass. I was reading through TripAdvisor, like you, and they have a really nice hotel, pool and facilities.

Question, when is your MR trip?

Thank you for all your legwork and replies. It's appreciated greatly.

12 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

@CurlyQgrL, I'm leaning towards Marriott and Secrets. I'm awaiting a reply from Secrets to determine what "is" included in their rate (food, alcohol, loungers, etc.)

I'm also a Marriott Rewards member so I'll contact Marriott directly to see if there's any benefits or guarantees I can securee through that relationship.

I've done PV resorts in the past where you get a credit for bar/food and we wound up going over the initial day pass fee. For us, the cost of Secrets, if the AI is actually AI, the value makes sense as $75 pp is my maximum exposure.

If we pay $37 to Marriott and have to spend an additional $30 each for drinks then we're basically at $75 pp for Secrets which IMO has a great pool/beach setup.

If you're willing, can you share the email addresses for each resort you've engaged with? I'd like to have 3 options in my plans and I'm sure one of the 3 will work for my needs.

I did just email Hotel RIU to see if they offer a day pass. I was reading through TripAdvisor, like you, and they have a really nice hotel, pool and facilities.

Question, when is your MR trip?

Thank you for all your legwork and replies. It's appreciated greatly.

My apologies for the confusion.. the $37 at the Marriott (650 pesos so an exchange rate of about 18.5 pesos to the dollar currently).. about $30 (550 pesos) of it is the credited back towards your food/drink at the pool only.

So the $37 INCLUDES a $30 credit towards food and drink, so technically your only paying about $7. Really comes down to how much you think you will eat and drink and what your cost would be. So if you think you might spend more than $68 pp then your right the Secrets is the better value. The nice thing about Secrets is you also wouldn't be limited to only the pool food, you could go to lunch at additional cafes.

Both have swim up bars! Both about :10 mins away, Secrets is south of the port, while Marriott is north.

Good point about going over what you spend at an all inclusive resort... going to take another look at Secrets.. especially since we don't have the Beverage package on this trip (missed Sip & Sail and $1,000 pp for a 15 day) so might be nice to have a day of all inclusive drinking.. LOL

For anyone interested here are some pics for Secrets from Trip Advisor:   https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150793-d2336336-Reviews-Secrets_Vallarta_Bay_Puerto_Vallarta-Puerto_Vallarta.html

lizette.gonzalez@hilton.com

Viviana.Ulloa2@marriotthotels.com

We will be returning in mid March, will post updates on what we wound up doing...

Thanks!

Stacey : )

ocean-front-pool-at-secrets.jpg

secrets-vallarta-bay.jpg

aerial-photography--v14357092.jpg

aerial-photography--v14357108.jpg

Detailed reply from Secrets on the AI day pass:

The Day Pass includes food in all the restaurants, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, the use of the facilities (beach, pool, sun beds, towels), unfortunately I can not confirm availability until 2 days before your arrival.

Looks like this could be a good value for the drinks alone and the food selection is wide and not limited to pool-only service.

I also like that they will confirm two days ahead. The others it is pretty much just show up and see, with no reservations though I am sure you could email a couple of days ahead and get an idea of their occupancy but would be really nice to be able to confirm ahead of time especially since we will be there in mid March which is probably a busier time isn't that the start of spring break?

So we are thinking go early, have breakfast, chill by the pool, tropical drinks, maybe a later lunch before we head out...

Hilton is a better price than Secrets at $59 all inclusive but doesn't include the day beds and the pool underwhelms me, but if within walking distance could be a good option for those who want to stay closer to the ship and not take a cab though too bad they don't include those lovely day beds they have on the beach. Also mentioned no premium liquor, what exactly does that mean? No calling anything? Wonder on what alcohol is included... seems like Secrets has less restrictions and probably would be fewer people since cab required and not walking distance.

I think Secrets seems like a better value even though it is a bit more as those day beds can be very sweet. I'm liking those palapas on the beach too!

What day will you be there? We will be in PV on 3/19 on the Coral Princess, heading north from the canal.

So sounds like you might get there first?

I have not gotten much done past couple of days, spent far too much time looking at pretty hotel pics! LOL  This is my current fav thread! LOL

Hilton pool pic included, do not see a swim up bar which is a con.

Hilton.jpg

Stacey, we hit Cabo on 11 Mar, Mazatlan 12 Mar and PV 13 Mar. I'll try to post an update from the resort we wind up.

Milolii, looking forward to your update on your choice.

Thank you all for your help and input. This has been a great group effort to boil down choices to some good ones.

16 hours ago, CurlyQgrL said:

Yes you are correct in PV on the 14th, be there the day after!

Awww too bad, just miss meeting you! 

Look forward to hearing what what you choose!

I'll do my best to post/reply when at whichever resort we wind up in. Hope you have a great trip as your cruise sounds like a lot of fun with great ports too!

FYI, we're in NorCal too. About 23 miles out of Sacramento up Hwy 50 (the best part of the region :-))

6 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

I'll do my best to post/reply when at whichever resort we wind up in. Hope you have a great trip as your cruise sounds like a lot of fun with great ports too!

FYI, we're in NorCal too. About 23 miles out of Sacramento up Hwy 50 (the best part of the region :-))

Well hello neighbor.. we are in Manteca so about 1 1/2 hrs away or so.... yes, you are in beautiful part of the state.

Love love love the mountains! Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you get back.

Thanks again, Stacey : )

Last year my wife and I got day passes to the Hilton.  Minutes from the Pier $2 each for a taxi van.  The cost was $56 or $58 each, so it's not cheap.  For that you get a all you can eat lunch, all the drinks you want and use of their resort (pool, beach, towels, chairs ect.  To get back to the pier we had Hilton call us a cab. Nice resort, safe and relaxing.

14 minutes ago, XRunner7 said:

Last year my wife and I got day passes to the Hilton.  Minutes from the Pier $2 each for a taxi van.  The cost was $56 or $58 each, so it's not cheap.  For that you get a all you can eat lunch, all the drinks you want and use of their resort (pool, beach, towels, chairs ect.  To get back to the pier we had Hilton call us a cab. Nice resort, safe and relaxing.

Thanks  we are leaning towards this.  

• 1 month later...