Noise sensitive kid in the MDR

blueskadoo

Hi all!  We are taking our DD9 on her first cruise (Carnival Sunshine) this summer. She has a tendency to be sensitive to loud noises (things like fireworks, loud music, large crowds) and it makes her very uncomfortable to the point of avoidance. I haven't been on a cruise in a very long time, and we're doing Anytime dining for the first time. Does the waitstaff still do the dancing to loud music? I am considering bringing her a pair of the ear protection headphones if they do because we know she would enjoy the idea of a "fancy" dinner but won't make it nightly without some help. I'm not sure I'd be able to entice her into the kids club either (miracles could happen...) so I don't know that that would solve the problem. Thanks for your help!

They still do it, but not every night.  Not the first night, usually on the elegant nights, the last night...You might ask on the Carnival board how the noise is on the Sunshine.  I don't know which dining room is ATD on Sunshine...The aft is usually fixed on ships with two MDRs, but the midship dining room on Sunshine appears to be only one level, so might be too small for ATD demands.  But folks on the Carnival board can help you.  EM

On 1/8/2019 at 6:51 AM, blueskadoo said:

I am considering bringing her a pair of the ear protection headphones if they do because we know she would enjoy the idea of a "fancy" dinner but won't make it nightly without some help. I'm not sure I'd be able to entice her into the kids club either (miracles could happen...)

headphones would be advisable.

My DS (7) doesn't do kid's club either.... but during MDR dinners we use a tablet with headphones for him to watch cartoons. Otherwise, there is no way he'd sit through a 1-2 hour dinner, even though he is not hyper. WE've been using a tablet in MDR since he started cruising at 3.

He doesn't care whether the dinners are fancy or not, though. :)

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I was worried about this with my migraine-prone now 10-year-old, but we've done 3 cruises and the entertainment at dinner hasn't been a problem. It was surprise for all of us the first time they sang at dinner, but once she knew it might happen, she was OK with it. The shows can be very loud as well, FYI. We often need to skip after-dinner shows so she can take a quiet break -- it's a very long day, every day on a cruise ship but especially on port days. We skip excursions as well and just enjoy the beach because it's too much for her.

Noise-canceling, over the ear headphones are a great idea if that will help your child sit through the dinners and shows.

My child also doesn’t do well with loud noises. We do anytime dining and go right when it opens, and haven’t seen a show during the times we have been eating dinner. This is on ten carnival cruises, so you may want to ask when the shows happen and try to plan around it (that’s what we do).

I have one that doesn't do well with loud noises. I carry a pair of earplugs with me at all times. He is starting to grown out of it now, but when he does still need them, it's nice to have them handy. I've found that he doesn't want to miss the commotion and activity, so this way, he gets the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 7:55 AM, betsy_ said:

The shows can be very loud as well, FYI.

true. I had to leave a couple of cruise shows, because it was causing my migraine to flare up.

Stress usually triggers mine, so the first 2 days of the cruise are usually spent suffering, because travel causes stress...