Puzzled-RCL Transfers

nelblu

Flying in to Fort Lauderdale and cruising from Port of Miami on upcoming Symphony OTS.  Called RCL pre-planner dept. to get a quote/make reserves for the transfers.  The agent would not even give me the time of day as explained that since I booked cruise via a TA, I need to make arrangements via the TA.   Tried to cajole the agent, but would not budge on even giving me minor info like cost.

Doesn't make any sense.  Maybe someone or a TA on this board can enlighten me.  Unlike cruise fare that I can search RCL's web site before deciding whom to book cruise with, I can't do the same for the transfers.  Also, will I get the same response if I book cruise via TA and airfare via RCL.

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Flying in to Fort Lauderdale and cruising from Port of Miami on upcoming Symphony OTS.  Called RCL pre-planner dept. to get a quote/make reserves for the transfers.  The agent would not even give me the time of day as explained that since I booked cruise via a TA, I need to make arrangements via the TA.   Tried to cajole the agent, but would not budge on even giving me minor info like cost.

Doesn't make any sense.  Maybe someone or a TA on this board can enlighten me.  Unlike cruise fare that I can search RCL's web site before deciding whom to book cruise with, I can't do the same for the transfers.  Also, will I get the same response if I book cruise via TA and airfare via RCL.

There are certain things that only the travel agent can do to a booking. 

However, Royal does allow you to book your own air through their Air2Sea program without going through the travel agent.

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

There are certain things that only the travel agent can do to a booking. 

However, Royal does allow you to book your own air through their Air2Sea program without going through the travel agent.

But I consider the transfer as a separate transaction from the cruise itself, like air fare.   RCL is providing the service and at a minimum should identify the est. cost.  For instance, if I decide to only get the transfer from port to airport while on board, do I need to book/contact the TA.:classic_biggrin:

Just now, nelblu said:

But I consider the transfer as a separate transaction from the cruise itself, like air fare.   RCL is providing the service and at a minimum should identify the est. cost.  For instance, if I decide to only get the transfer from port to airport while on board, do I need to book/contact the TA.:classic_biggrin:

I guess in this situation it's not as important what you consider to be a separate transaction as what Royal considers.  An email to your travel agent should get you the cost of the transfer. 

Once onboard, you no longer have to contact the TA to arrange a transfer.

Last I saw, the cost of the transfer from FLL to the Port of Miami was $30 per person.

53 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Well, that is weird. We kinda did a similar thing almost two years ago, when we sailed on Freedom from Fort Lauderdale and flew into Miami airport. Our cruise + airfare was all booked through Costco Travel. Then I called RCI and they added airport transfers for me, no questions asked. And Host Clarea is correct - it was around $30 pp each way - except this is from Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale port. 

Edited by MKESail

We are using the shuttle in 2 weeks after our Allure cruise to get from the pier to the Miami airport and it was $18/person. Our TA booked it through Royal for us. 

We also used it on our last cruise to the ship terminal in San Juan from the San Juan airport and it was $18/person. 

If you REALLY want the transfer from airport to ship the people in the baggage claim area will generally just add you to the list.  And on the couple of times we have seen it they just bill your ship account (they don't have a way to pay on the spot).

Edited by LeeW
more

Uber from FLL to POM will run about $35 or there are several shared shuttles often suggested on the Florida departures board for about $15 per person.  Check SAS, QLS, MJS, and Go Airport Shuttles.  Both options are faster and cheaper than cruise line transfers.

9 hours ago, nelblu said:

Skip it and use Uber or Lyft. We did the Symphony shuttle MIA to FLL, cost was $29 each.  Total pain, long wait until bus was full and then dropped off at terminal 1 when we needed terminal 2.  Only did it because we had lots of Non refundable OBC left over. Uber would have been about $54.00 a taxi was $72.00. Would have rather used my OBC in Schooners the last night.  happy cruising