I think I have GCS...

pierces

GCS. Gear Complacency Syndrome.

I am just done with the annual New Year's contemplation of my equipment choices and the path forward and I am somewhat nonplussed. Here's why.

With the leap to full-frame last year and after picking up the G-series normal and long FE zoom lenses, I am still sort of in awe of the capabilities of the A7III. The 24-105 f/4 G lens is better than expected, which is mildly surprising since I expected a lot based on reviews. I still have my A6300 and the A6000 (though the A6000 is on loan to a friend) and the small assortment of APS-C lenses which are mostly manual except for the 18-105 f/4. I have all the strobe power I need and a couple of tripods, one light one not. Monopod.. check. Bags/backpacks? The usual assortment one collects after 50 years of owning interchangeable lens cameras. My current travel bag is a PacSafe Z25 that I picked up on clearance from B&H for about $75. It holds all my travel (cruise) kit including my laptop and still fits under any airline seat easily. Extra cards and batteries of course. After taking inventory of what I have, I have come to realize that I am at a place I have rarely been (never is rare, right?).  I don't think I actually "need" any new stuff right now. Stranger still, I don't currently "want" anything enough to grab the ol' piggy bank and start shaking out coins. After selling off a bunch of my DSLR stuff and all the A-mount lenses save the Minolta 100mm macro, my assortment of equipment is smaller than it has been in 30+ years. What is left, however, is an assortment of equipment that has yet to disappoint me and isn't likely to anytime soon. I have been close to this feeling in the past, but the demons of emerging tech have always managed to distract me with something shiny and so very tempting over the last 15-20 years. I don't hold any illusions that this will last very long. Then again, it may last longer than I think. The rumors concerning the new APS-C camera from Sony hint at a much larger body, which definitely wouldn't pull me out of my happy place. Rumors of a high-end APS-C mid-range zoom don't shake the tree either. 

I guess my reason for rambling on about my mental meanderings is to point out that even a serious technophile like me can reach a point where "good enough" is truly good enough (for a while) and taking advantage of the lull in the storm to just enjoy taking pictures feels pretty darned good.

Happy shooting in the Happy New Year!

Dave

21 hours ago, Victress2007 said:

That must be why these boards have been so quiet lately!  Come on Sony - we need something to talk about - new lenses!!

Vic

Ask and ye shall receive!

New patents from Sony tracked down by sonyalpharumors.com

100.jpg.1140279383b9cf47e6ac637198da568b.jpg

135.jpg.5b752c41af083c49171ea6424d70bf16.jpg

My Happy Place is still intact. No real use for either at the moment.

Dave

I've had that syndrome for almost a year now, ever since picking up the 18-135mm and Sigma 16mm...I've got all my needs covered.

But my happy place can be disturbed if and when a new APS-C body comes out, especially if it's anything close to the mini-A9 APS-C rumors...which would pretty much be a camera custom-designed for me personally by Sony.  And then GCS would immediately become GAS again.

38 minutes ago, zackiedawg said:

I've had that syndrome for almost a year now, ever since picking up the 18-135mm and Sigma 16mm...I've got all my needs covered.

But my happy place can be disturbed if and when a new APS-C body comes out, especially if it's anything close to the mini-A9 APS-C rumors...which would pretty much be a camera custom-designed for me personally by Sony.  And then GCS would immediately become GAS again.

One ugly rumor has the new APS-C camera using the same body dimensions and layout as the A7/9 cameras with a ludicrous ISO, frame rate and AF stats with 4K 60p video tossed in. Sort of like the A77/A9 A-mount bodies. If I wanted a second body with the same form factor as my A7III, I'd probably buy another A7III or wait for the A7rIV. I like the A6300's form factor for an APS-C second body and would be a little disappointed if the make a MEGA APS-C.

Dave

I'd agree on the preference for the A6xxx form factor.  The rumors seemed to be pointing to a center EVF - I could handle that if the body was still a little slimmer and thinner than the A7 series...but it would be disappointing if it ended up the same size as the A7III.  Of course, the performance part is really what would mean the most to me - I've been very very tempted to pick up an A9 a few times, but full frame 24MP has held me back as I really want more reach equivalence - having 24MP on APS-C framing is already just at the limit with the 100-400mm - so 24MP full frame would leave me cropping everything 90% and ending up with 2MP results...the 42MP full frame comes closer but still has to be cropped back to 18MP to match APS-C framing...so currently a 24MP or higher APS-C still has the right resolution, pixel density, and crop equivalence to fit right in my needs.  I want the A9's speed, focusing, and no blackout silent shooting, but on an APS-C sensor with at least 24MP.  In a perfect world, it would be close to the A6500 in size and design, but with the slightly larger grip to accommodate the FZ battery.

2 hours ago, pierces said:

One ugly rumor has the new APS-C camera using the same body dimensions and layout as the A7/9 cameras with a ludicrous ISO, frame rate and AF stats with 4K 60p video tossed in. Sort of like the A77/A9 A-mount bodies. If I wanted a second body with the same form factor as my A7III, I'd probably buy another A7III or wait for the A7rIV. I like the A6300's form factor for an APS-C second body and would be a little disappointed if the make a MEGA APS-C.

Dave

Choices are good. While you already own 1 camera with the A7/A9 form factor and wouldn't want it in another camera..

There may be aps-c only shooters, who want the A7/A9 form factor.
There may also be dual FF/aps-c shooters who would appreciate both cameras having the same form factor (improves muscle memory).

Personally, I'd like to see Sony keep some of their aps-c cameras in the rangefinder form factor, while also offering the more "professional" form factor of the A7/A9.  Surely some aps-c shooters would appreciate an AF thumbstick, larger battery, deeper grip, etc.

15 minutes ago, zackiedawg said:

I'd agree on the preference for the A6xxx form factor.  The rumors seemed to be pointing to a center EVF - I could handle that if the body was still a little slimmer and thinner than the A7 series...but it would be disappointing if it ended up the same size as the A7III.  

Back when I had the D750... I often used by A6300 when I wanted smaller.

But then once I got the A7riii, I never really touched the A6300 again. (finally sold it a few months ago) Yes, it's a little bigger than the A6300 but small enough that the size never weighed me down.  APS-C lenses are a bit smaller than FF lenses. So when you're not shooting telephoto, even if the A7000 uses the A7iii body, your entire kit will still be smaller when you're using aps-c lenses.

An A6700 with a new sensor, better AF and a bit of a grip bump increase for the battery along with a "Pro" APS-C A7000 on the A7/9 frame for sports and bird shooters would be sort of a coup if Sony were to go that direction. Nikon sold a ton of the D7x00 cameras and Canon, their advanced APS-nearly C cameras. The A7/9 body is still quite a bit smaller than either of those series and with A9 performance in an APS-C version priced somewhat below the FF offerings would be impressive. Cut $200 off of that with the A6x00 form factor and a little less punch and they might just own the sub-$2000 mirrorless market, except for the tenacious M43 videophiles and retro-look fans.

Like I said, I would love a small-body APS-C but would understand if they lean towards the rumored direction. If they used the A7/9 frame with an APS-C sensor, it would eliminate an awful lot of R&D costs and help with that sub-$2000 price point.

The A7 is still pretty small with my Rokinon 12mm on it...Damn!

I'm starting to feel GASsy!

Dave

12 hours ago, pierces said:

An A6700 with a new sensor, better AF and a bit of a grip bump increase for the battery along with a "Pro" APS-C A7000 on the A7/9 frame for sports and bird shooters would be sort of a coup if Sony were to go that direction. Nikon sold a ton of the D7x00 cameras and Canon, their advanced APS-nearly C cameras. The A7/9 body is still quite a bit smaller than either of those series and with A9 performance in an APS-C version priced somewhat below the FF offerings would be impressive. Cut $200 off of that with the A6x00 form factor and a little less punch and they might just own the sub-$2000 mirrorless market, except for the tenacious M43 videophiles and retro-look fans.

Like I said, I would love a small-body APS-C but would understand if they lean towards the rumored direction. If they used the A7/9 frame with an APS-C sensor, it would eliminate an awful lot of R&D costs and help with that sub-$2000 price point.

The A7 is still pretty small with my Rokinon 12mm on it...Damn!

I'm starting to feel GASsy!

Dave

But here is the thing -- a mini A9 in A6xxx form factor already kinda exists -- the A6500.

In other words, let's look at the speculated A7000.  Comparing the speculated A7000 to the A6500, most of the upgrades actually are form factor changes. Like the A9, the A6500 already has super fast autofocus, it already has a very deep buffer, it already has very fast frame rate. (while it doesn't have 20fps, 11fps is still plenty fast). 

Let's take a look at the expected upgrades between an A6500 and A7000:

- Blackout free EVF. 

- Even faster frame rate

- Improved silent shooting without banding

- More direct controls, buttons, dials, including front and real dials, AF thumbstick, etc

- Dual card slots

- Bigger battery

- Bigger grip (needed for bigger battery but also a positive on its own)

Considering that the A6500 already shoots at incredible frame rate, the main real changes outside of the body are improved silent shooting and blackout free EVF. 

Sony A6500 is currently $1200.

Nikon D500 -- the most direct competitor with a Sony A7000 is $1800

So let's imagine the Sony A7000 is priced at $1800.

Arguably, Sony has already over-segmented their product line with the A6300 ($850) and A6500 -- two very similar cameras. 

Now I guess, in theory, they could do an A6700 as you suggest:  Priced at $1500-$1600:  Essentially an A6500 with blackout free EVF, faster frame rate and improved silent shooting. They pay another $200-$300 if you want bigger battery, dual card slots, beefier grip, etc.

Back in the hayday of dSLRs, 5-8 years ago, this type of segmentation would make sense. In today's market, that's probably too many models cannibalizing each other.

I doubt we will see any strategic streamlining any time soon, because it appears all the camera makers have massive backlogs of inventory, making it difficult to actually discontinue models.

But a rational Sony aps-c lineup would look like:

Rangefinder bodies:

Sony A5200 -- Entry level, great wifi sharing, great selfie screen, great eye-AF, no EVF. $499 with kit lens

Sony A6000ii --Sony A6000 + touch screen + selfie articulated LCD + improved eye-AF + better wifi/bluetooth image sharing. Entry level +  EVF: $649 with kit lens

Good bye to Sony A6300

Sony A6500: $999

Then in the "pro body":

Sony A7000: $1799 (or priced really aggressively at $1599): Basically a Sony A9 with aps-c sensor.

That would be a rational 4-body lineup for aps-c shooters, going from basic entry level to moderate enthusiasts up to serious enthusiast/semipro.  It gives clear distinctions between cameras and prices:

A5200 -- great camera for those coming from phones, easy to use point and shoot ILC

A6000ii -- Take that A5200 and add an EVF for $150

A6500: For another $350, add a really deep buffer for serious sports shooting, IBIS, 4k video, weather sealing, superior EVF. 

A7000: for another $600-$900, get a more professional body with better battery, dual slots, plus 20fps, superior silent shooting, blackout free EVF.

A6400???

sonyalpharumors.com dropped this a few minutes ago:

Sony A6400 recap (ILCE6400😞
– Sony A6400 will be announced on Jan 15 between 4-5pm London time.
– It’s going to become the new mid-level camera replacing both the A5100 and entry level A6xxx cameras
– It has a classic A6xxx design but it has the A5100 selfie screen (SAR note: That’s why for a short moment I thought this was an A5xxx camera…but it’s not).
– new APS-C sensor

– Made for vloggers
– 4K30p (it has NOT 4k60p)

– No Z-battery and no dual SD card slot
– But has some new “exciting” features

It also appears that this is considered to be a “first small announcement” with a “second bigger announcement” following likely in February. Sources said Sony wants to add 4K60p on their next higher end camera that will be announced soon (my guess is that it’s coming at WPPI in February)

About the new name:
I know it’s a weird choice to name the A5100 and A6000 successor “Sony A6400”. And even more confusing to name a camera between the currently existing A6300 and A6500. This is going to confuse quite some potential buyers. My guess is that the A6xxx series is now going to officially become the new entry-level E-mount series while the A7xxx series will be what the A6xxx was (the high end APS-C series).

This is a rumor from a rumor site, but it has been pretty accurate over the years.

I hope it has a touch screen that does a bunch of the stuff people imagine they need so the droning will die down a bit. 😉

Still not a temptation for me. Earth abides.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Yep - that would exert no pull on me at all - and at the same time, it may answer the needs (and constant carping online) of those who want selfie screens, touch screens, and such.  It's that phase 2 rumor for Feb that has me anticipating what that beast will be, and whether it's what I hope it will be.

26 minutes ago, pierces said:

A6400???

sonyalpharumors.com dropped this a few minutes ago:

Sony A6400 recap (ILCE6400😞
– Sony A6400 will be announced on Jan 15 between 4-5pm London time.
– It’s going to become the new mid-level camera replacing both the A5100 and entry level A6xxx cameras
– It has a classic A6xxx design but it has the A5100 selfie screen (SAR note: That’s why for a short moment I thought this was an A5xxx camera…but it’s not).
– new APS-C sensor

– Made for vloggers
– 4K30p (it has NOT 4k60p)

– No Z-battery and no dual SD card slot
– But has some new “exciting” features

It also appears that this is considered to be a “first small announcement” with a “second bigger announcement” following likely in February. Sources said Sony wants to add 4K60p on their next higher end camera that will be announced soon (my guess is that it’s coming at WPPI in February)

About the new name:
I know it’s a weird choice to name the A5100 and A6000 successor “Sony A6400”. And even more confusing to name a camera between the currently existing A6300 and A6500. This is going to confuse quite some potential buyers. My guess is that the A6xxx series is now going to officially become the new entry-level E-mount series while the A7xxx series will be what the A6xxx was (the high end APS-C series).

This is a rumor from a rumor site, but it has been pretty accurate over the years.

I hope it has a touch screen that does a bunch of the stuff people imagine they need so the droning will die down a bit. 😉

Still not a temptation for me. Earth abides.

Dave

Need to really see how it fits into the lineup. We have too little information right now.  They may be doing what I was suggesting -- bringing together the A6300 and A6500 lines. 

Given the lack of any aps-c camera in over 2 years, it's kind of hard to imagine that this camera will be "below" the other aps-c cameras in any way.  Would it really have worse AF than the A6300/A6500? Would they put in an inferior sensor?  Really think they won't include eye-AF or silent shutter?

This could really a replacement for the A6300+A6500.... not really the bottom of the lineup.  

We will have to wait and see. But watch the price, and that will tell you how Sony is actually positioning the camera. 

$999 or more -- then it's a repositioning of the mid/top part of the aps-c lineup.  

Under $749.... it's an A6000 replacement

1 minute ago, zackiedawg said:

Yep - that would exert no pull on me at all - and at the same time, it may answer the needs (and constant carping online) of those who want selfie screens, touch screens, and such.  It's that phase 2 rumor for Feb that has me anticipating what that beast will be, and whether it's what I hope it will be.

Likely will simplify the model line as Havoc was alluding to. Even though this announcement doesn't return a ping on my radar, it hints that Sony is possibly redefining the segments and how they will address them. Others have prophesied that the $500-$700 Compact and ILC is the next segment to get eaten by ever-more-capable phones and maybe this is their answer.

A6400 and A7000 (or whatever) Covering entry to Enthusiast/Pro APS-C

A7, A7r & A7s and A9 For entry to pro FF with something above the A9 (resolutuion?) showing up eventually.

Fun stuff!

Dave

2 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

Need to really see how it fits into the lineup. We have too little information right now.  They may be doing what I was suggesting -- bringing together the A6300 and A6500 lines. 

This could really a replacement for the A6300+A6500.... not really the bottom of the lineup.  

I actually was posting  that as you posted your own. 🙂

"This could really a replacement for the A6300+A6500.... not really the bottom of the lineup."

Hmmmm...6300 and 6500 does average out to 6400. 

Dave

13 minutes ago, tommui987 said:

I guess it would depend on how much movement the "selfie" screen has that might be a temptation for me. A 90-degree angle would be most welcome - and I assume the weight/size would be about the same.

See my A6400 post: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2624013-sony-a6400-intrp-had-a-few-surprises