SeaDream II Eastbound TA April 2019

BeignetBoy

We have just been advised by our Travel Agent that Sea Dream has made a change to this voyage and that it will only be a 10-day voyage, not a 12 day as originally planned.  They claim that the change is due to an itinerary change from the following voyage.   They have adjusted the fare down a bit (but I think that they made a mistake in the math) and are offering a $200 shipboard credit.  And if we decide to cancel, they will "reimburse up to a maximum of USD $300.00 per person for non-refundable airline tickets, airline ticket change fees, hotels, etc.; as long as you attempt in writing to have these waived or credited to a future booking. Guests will be responsible for additional fare collection or purchase of new airline tickets."

What concerns me is that apparently, we would have to request the airfare reimbursement in writing, and on this trip, we are flying on airline miles.  So, I don't think that we will be able to write to the airline and get a reasonable response.  Given the above changes, we will probably just continue with the voyage, but this is another example of issues with the company.  I also don't understand the late notice to this agenda change.  It is a good thing that we enjoy the product and the service of SeaDream, otherwise, we would be looking for another cruise line.

Very interesting.  I just got an email from my TA saying the same thing, except that it is a drydock issue!  How can the ship go into drydock for 2 days?  Plus, we are on the follow-on voyage to Malaga, which now departs 6 May and is only 5 days.  They are dropping Funchal from the crossing, but I don't know what they are cutting from the follow on.  AND we are flying out of Madrid (on miles) on the 14th (planning to stay in Madrid for a couple of days).  The website has a 10 day crossing, but still shows follow-ons (they've added 3 cruises together to make a 25 day from BGI to Barcelona plus one from LIS to Barcelona (the 2 cruises after the crossing combined)).  HUH?

Trying to find out if we could do a hotel in Lisbon for the 2 days and get back on board but don't know.  What a goat rope.....

Like you, we really love SD (well, the crew anyway) so will wait for more info before making final decisions......

Vandrefalk

37 minutes ago, vandrefalk said:

V What a goat rope.....

Like you, we really love SD (well, the crew anyway) so will wait for more info before making final decisions......

You are being kind in your word choice.. goat rope... I had stronger words that I shouldn't use here.

Our email said that the change was due to an itinerary change   

I think that we will stay on the trip and are strongly considering staying in Lisbon and taking our original return flights.  We are also using miles (it took us years to accumulate) and booked business class on the return, and on first glance, it doesn't appear that business class flights are available on an earlier return.  And their email said that we would need to request the airline change in writing.  I can't imagine writing to United Airlines about this to comply with SeaDream's request.

What is also frustrating is that I called them to confirm the dates before I booked the air.  I am sure that they didn't know of these changes at that time, but they should have known about them.  

Another point is that as you know, the eastbound crossings mean that we would lose an hour each day... and lately, they have been making these time changes in the middle of the day.

Finally got more details.  Miami is saying it is a dry dock issue (which I sincerely hope isn't major).  Get into Lisbon on 2 May and we will stay in Lisbon for the 4 nights.  With the reduction in fare on both cruises, that won't be an extra cost to us.  The follow on now misses the Algarve, Seville and Tangiers.  But Gibraltar (which was on the original itinerary but later dropped off apparently) is back on and they've added Cadiz.  We can live with that and we don't have to deal with the air return.  Disappointed and not happy about the late notice, but...……. and jumping to I wouldn't work with the dates.  So guess we've done the best we can.

See you soon, Beignet Boy!

Vandrefalk

We will probably stay in Lisbon also and just take our original flights back to the US.  By the way, we have an excellent and beautiful B&B that we've stayed at about 4 times on every prior trip to Lisbon and have made a reservation to stay there for this trip.  http://www.chafarizdelrei.com/chafariz-del-rei.html  It is in the Alfama district and was a former castle. It is also just a short 5 minute or less cab ride from the cruise terminal.   We have a few restaurants that we love nearby, and I am sure that the Colonel would love to tour the nearby military museum.  

It would be great if you stayed there also and we could enjoy some Lisbon time together.  If you decide to stay there, I suggest that you book a room soon as they only have about 6 rooms.  

See you in a few months.

Edited by BeignetBoy
More information