Which Cruise Line to Choose?

pcjr2

I am 54 and my husband is 60.  We like to stay up late and have fun. Prefer a 30's-50's kinda crowd with minimal children (already raised mine. all done).  Any suggestions?  No specific itinerary in mind.  Just want like a 10 day happening cruise.  Don't care if it's a big ship or smaller one.

• Like 1

A ten day cruise on any line is not going to have near as many children as a cruise 7 days or less.    Parents with young children just can't take off that much time.  Or have that length in their budget.  And cruises that long will have an older crowd.  the rule is, the longer the cruise, the older the demographic.  Choose a cruise of 8 days or more on any line while school is in session.  As for a 'happening' cruise, I would look at the big ships of Carnival and Royal Caribbean, maybe NCL.  Or look for a theme cruise.  EM

• Like 1

Just realize, that any given cruise can have a quieter or more active vibe, no matter which line.  It just depends.

We did the same cruise on the same ship a year apart, Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Sea.  First cruise was a more active vibe.  I remember the 70s disco party, the Centrum was packed.   Second was quieter, the 70s party was flat.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

A ten day cruise on any line is not going to have near as many children as a cruise 7 days or less.    Parents with young children just can't take off that much time.  Or have that length in their budget.  And cruises that long will have an older crowd.  the rule is, the longer the cruise, the older the demographic.  Choose a cruise of 8 days or more on any line while school is in session.  As for a 'happening' cruise, I would look at the big ships of Carnival and Royal Caribbean, maybe NCL.  Or look for a theme cruise.  EM

I agree with this post.  I would also add Princess into the choices. Princess also has pretty good entertainment in the evenings.

• Thanks 1

"Prefer a 30's-50's kinda crowd . . . ."

I would suggest a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise out of Los Angeles on RCI

I don't do the Caribbean unless I'm forced to so can't really offer advice about that area.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first choice would be Royal Carribean and second Norwegian. I have done both and entertainment is better imo on Royal but with older crowd. Norwegian is younger and food is better imo. If you take Norwegian outside of spring break or school break, usually kid crowd is very low. Just came back (Dec. 16 to 23) on a Norwegian cruise and there was for sure less than 100 kids onboard but the crowd was also younger (lots of 20-30)

• Thanks 1

Thank you to all who responded.  This is a tremendous help! I considered RC Vision of the Seas and all the reviews bashed it.  Then I selected NCL Pearl and all the reviews seem to complain intensely.  This is so frustrating. lol. n We really do want to go through the Panama canal but the boats going there are limited to older, less appealing ships, it seems anyway.  For sure we won't go during Holidays. 

Edited by pcjr2

14 hours ago, pcjr2 said:

I am 54 and my husband is 60.  We like to stay up late and have fun. Prefer a 30's-50's kinda crowd with minimal children (already raised mine. all done).  Any suggestions?  No specific itinerary in mind.  Just want like a 10 day happening cruise.  Don't care if it's a big ship or smaller one.

For what you want with the age group you desire Royal Caribbean would be a good choice.  :classic_wink:

• Like 1

If you really want to do the Panama Canal, go on the Coral or Island Princess.  They were built to transit the canal.  There are lots of outside viewing areas for Canal Day.  Most new ships today can't do the canal and the cruise lines would rather position them for other cruises.  Do a full transit if you can.  EM

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

If you really want to do the Panama Canal, go on the Coral or Island Princess.  They were built to transit the canal.  There are lots of outside viewing areas for Canal Day.  Most new ships today can't do the canal and the cruise lines would rather position them for other cruises.  Do a full transit if you can.  EM

But isn't Princess mostly for a much older crowd?  Or am I mistaken?  I just don't want to be on a sleeper cruise.

1 hour ago, pcjr2 said:

Thank you to all who responded.  This is a tremendous help! I considered RC Vision of the Seas and all the reviews bashed it.    

Take this for what its worth...just another anonymous internet guy giving my opinion...but I loved Vision.  I think its a beautiful ship.  I would do another cruise on that ship...or any ship in that class...in a heartbeat.  

There's so much about that ship that is great, like the adults only Solarium pool, awesome views from the Viking Crown Lounge, and beautiful 2 story dining room.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Take this for what its worth...just another anonymous internet guy giving my opinion...but I loved Vision.  I think its a beautiful ship.  I would do another cruise on that ship...or any ship in that class...in a heartbeat.  

There's so much about that ship that is great, like the adults only Solarium pool, awesome views from the Viking Crown Lounge, and beautiful 2 story dining room.  

That is so refreshing to hear after all the reviews I have poured over for days.  It's so discouraging to think of spending so much money on a neglected ship, as others have stated, and to spend 10 or more days if it doesn't have hot food or smells musty.  Please tell me you have been on the Vision since her drydock update?  What age range would you say was on the ship when you sailed?

Edited by pcjr2

2 hours ago, pcjr2 said:

That is so refreshing to hear after all the reviews I have poured over for days.  It's so discouraging to think of spending so much money on a neglected ship, as others have stated, and to spend 10 or more days if it doesn't have hot food or smells musty.  Please tell me you have been on the Vision since her drydock update?  What age range would you say was on the ship when you sailed?

I won't be able to help a whole lot there.  My Vision cruise was in 2014 and it was a 4 day cruise.  It was a young..mostly 30s and 40s..crowd.  On a longer cruise, I would expect the median age to be more like 50s and 60s.

My cruise was post-drydock because they had the high-ropes entertainment in the main centrum.  I don't know when/if Vision was refurbished again since then. 

The thing I've noticed about RCI is, they tend to maintain their ships better than other cruise lines.  

Most reviews tend to be negative do to happy cruisers not thinking they need to let any one know while complains want everyone to know. Read them with a grain of salt as most things that people complain about are subjective or a very personal experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Most reviews tend to be negative do to happy cruisers not thinking they need to let any one know while complains want everyone to know. Read them with a grain of salt as most things that people complain about are subjective or a very personal experience.

thank you so much!!!  I chose Celebrity Eclipse to Chile from LA.  I wont read all the critic posts because they tend to make all cruises look bad. haha

I finally picked Celebrity Eclipse with my fingers tightly crossed in hopes of having a wonderful vacation to Chile from Los Angeles in November.  Thanks to everyone who helped me choose.  16 nights but sounds awesome!

Edited by pcjr2

2 hours ago, pcjr2 said:

I finally picked Celebrity Eclipse with my fingers tightly crossed in hopes of having a wonderful vacation to Chile from Los Angeles in November.  Thanks to everyone who helped me choose.  16 nights but sounds awesome!

great choice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pcjr2 said:

Excellent choice.  Eclipse is a beautiful ship.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, pcjr2 said:

But isn't Princess mostly for a much older crowd?  Or am I mistaken?  I just don't want to be on a sleeper cruise.

we started cruising Princess at the end of our 30s. :) We are in mid 40s now. My parents went on their first cruise in Princess in late 60s and LOVED it as well. A lot is happening for people without little kids. Not so much for people with the kids, though, that's why we tried Norwegian and are going back to RCI.