Placeholder Deposit Refund - Cautionary Tale

kevdad

18 months ago we were on the Fantasy and booked two placeholder reservations.  I called my big-box travel agency today to have my $500 refunded as we are unable to cruise before the deadline.  Since the credit card I used for the deposit was canceled due to fraud I am now expected to get a letter from the credit card company (Chase) stating that the card was canceled and that there is zero balance.  Then I have to FAX that to Disney with a copy of my drivers license.  And all within the next 7 days.  And Chase just said it would take 7 days to send the letter to me.

Why the use of fax (very 1980s; maybe I'll call them using my bag phone next time) and why all this within 7 days is beyond me.  Hopefully this works out, but just a word of caution to those that may not use their placeholder reservations.

As a side note, both the agency representative and especially the Chase rep laughed out loud when they heard what Disney is expecting (the Chase rep said, "they're not expecting very much, are they?"  I just had to laugh along with them...   

Good to know. We booked a placeholder using our Chase Visa last month, and recently had to cancel that card and get a new one due to fraudulent charges. Think I'll call DCL and see if they can change the CC number, even though I don't plan to cancel the placeholder. Thanks for the "heads up". 👍

That’s weird they’d make you do all that. I’ve had so many cards cancelled for fraud and when I get a refund it just goes to the new card I’ve never had to do anything extra. This is usually with Disney hotels. I feel like the refund would just automatically go on your new card. 

• Like 1

Fax because fax is secure - you should not be emailing an image of your driver's license or credit card info (or passport, or banking information, etc.). Email is not secure.

You could send a password encrypted attachment, but quite frankly most people don't know how to do that correctly, or then how to coordinate the password with the recipient.

• Like 1