AUTHENTIC EMBERA NATIVE VILLAGE

mvjcruise

Hi. My 80 yr. old mother and I will be on a partial transit in Feb. My mother would like to go on this excursion, but she does have a concern about the canoes listed in the description.  She did have a knee replacement about 2 years ago, and gets around quite well now. She is able to walk long distances, but goes slowly. I am not especially interested in going on this excursion. Her concerns are: How difficult was it to get into the canoes? And speed of the canoes? She has a concern about them being "fast".  Thanks!

These are really not canoes in the traditional sense, but a fairly large cayuco (dugout).  From the picture you can sort of see how you board the boats, there are helping hands.  An off hand guess, perhaps the top speed of the cayuco would be around 15mph when loaded.

2q3u3pd.jpg

• Like 1

This excursion was the highlight of my cruise!!

I would rethink not doing it!!

It is a step back in time to another way of life and they have wonderful handmade craft items to buy!!!

The canoes go slowly but the seats are a bit uncomfortable.

The bathroom was better than expected for a pit toilet with toilet seat, toilet paper, running water and soap to wash afterwards.

I would go back in a minute!!!

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Borman51 said:

This shore excursion looks wonderful, but DH has a real problem with balance.  Do you think it would be a problem with him getting into and out of the dugout canoe?

Getting in or out of those boats isn't any more difficult than any other small boat and there are usually enough people around to lend a hand.

I too would recommend the Embera excursion. Just let the people know that you need help getting into and out of the canoe. You do wear a life vest.....the canoe is not fast.......depending on which part of the river and how much rain they have had determines the depth. They do have crafts and will take US$, but please don't take large bills. Make it 1's, 5's, 10's or 20's so you can be as close to the amount of what you want to purchase; if you do buy something.  

Panama Chagres River 11-10-2013 lum.jpg

Panama Embera Puru house 11-10-2013.JPG

11 02 2016 IMG_6758-6758.jpg

I agree that they have wonderful crafts!! I brought $100 in small bills and could have easily spent more.

In addition to the baskets and woven items as pictured above, they have lovely rosewood carvings,gorgeous colorful fabric, animal masks and hangings , jewelry, etc.

It was a fabulous experience!

We have done this tour also.  It was the highlight of our trip.  After cruising since 1998, it's still our favorite.  They also have an area to purchase handmade crafts.  Very good quality and great prices.  We bought something the chief made.  He charges $1 for every day it takes him to make it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, We did this tour on a full transit that stopped at Fuerte Amador!!

We were there in December and I am still thinking about that wonderful day!!

Yesterday I finally hung some gorgeous fabric that I bought there!

Fabulous trip!!

• 4 weeks later...

Also consider tours to any of the villages involve going to more remote areas (some more remote than others), very limited communications at best, in a single engine cayuco (canoe/watercraft).  While there would not being any concerns that you would be lost forever in the jungle and you would have to learn a dialect of the Choco Indians😉, missing all aboard time is a consideration.  This particular excursion a ship's tour is not really that bad of an idea.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

This looks interesting. However my husband is a big guy, 6 foot 320 pounds. Is there a weight limit?

I am not aware of a weight limit, but then again you never know what they have hidden in the mice type.  The boats used are typical in post #2 of this thread and they can carry 8-10 passengers, so I would think 320lbs could be accommodated easily enough.

• 1 month later...

What I have seen, they will beach the boat, bow on the bank and then assist the passengers to shore as they unload from front to back over the bow.  Probably won't get your feet wet, but water shoes may not be a bad idea tho.

• 1 month later...