More than one ship with the same name?

coolio111

It is one ship and one itinerary. MSC offers embarking and disembarking in almost every port during the cruise. Let’s say one passenger embarks in Barcelona and disembarks in Barcelona, another Passenger embarks 2 days later in Genoa and disembarks in Genoa. Both passengers are on a 7-day cruise, just different days of embarking and disembarking. 

SirWolf is correct, and this why Cruise Critic roll calls and Meet & Greets don't work for MSC in the Mediterranean.  

We will be doing a similar loop in the fall – and I'm wondering how they handle the Muster Drills.  I assume they hold one at each port where people can join the ship (4 on our 7 day cruise), which should make them somewhat easier to manage than having all 5,000 pax at one time!

7 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

That's exactly what they do, Jazzbeau.  However, it's a bit of a pain having to listen to the drill over the tannoy and have everything closed down while it's in progress each time it's being done for new embarkees.

Are you sure everything is closed down? I don't remember that from when we cruised on the Meraviglia.

Just now, sverigecruiser said:

Are you sure everything is closed down? I don't remember that from when we cruised on the Meraviglia.

The bars have to close when the drill is in progress, SC.  You can sit in them, but you can't order a drink.  Same with the elevators - they ask you not to use them.  You probably wouldn't have noticed it, being in YC.

7 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Everything closed down on the Divina during the drill on the second day for those that missed it the first day.  I didn't notice on our first cruise but did on the second because I tried to use the elevator and tried to get a drink.

2 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Everything closed down on the Divina during the drill on the second day for those that missed it the first day.  I didn't notice on our first cruise but did on the second because I tried to use the elevator and tried to get a drink.

Yes same. But its normal on all lines with multiple embarkations, must be a legal requirement, ben then again as frustrating as it is the muster is critical.

One of those moments you don't want to be thinking **** I wish I had listened & knew where I was heading!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The bars have to close when the drill is in progress, SC.  You can sit in them, but you can't order a drink.  Same with the elevators - they ask you not to use them.  You probably wouldn't have noticed it, being in YC.

I'm sure that you are right but I don't remember it. I must have been lucky when ordering drinks!

1 hour ago, citizenfrank said:

Yes same. But its normal on all lines with multiple embarkations, must be a legal requirement, ben then again as frustrating as it is the muster is critical.

One of those moments you don't want to be thinking **** I wish I had listened & knew where I was heading!

They didn't do it on Costa Concordia and that was brought up as one of the issues that made the disaster even worse.  So now I'm sure the requirement is much more strictly enforced.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They didn't do it on Costa Concordia and that was brought up as one of the issues that made the disaster even worse.  So now I'm sure the requirement is much more strictly enforced.

They didn't do a muster drill???  Seriously???  As much as I grumble about it, I am glad they do it.

2 hours ago, MommytoAsquared said:

They didn't do a muster drill???  Seriously???  As much as I grumble about it, I am glad they do it.

The Costa Concordia was on her very first night of the cruise when the incident happened.  The drill was scheduled for the following morning.  Unfortunately, the ship hit the rock the first night before the drill.  I believe it is a requirement to have the safety drill within 24 hours of sailing, in which the Costa Concrodia would have certainly been in compliance.  I was on a ship several years ago with a very late embarkation due to a previous medical emergency and the drill was moved to the morning of the first sea day.