What is you favorite cruise hack on RCCL

OP - Most of the suggestions so far have not been RCI specific, which is what you asked for. On most RCI ships you can access the helipad on the bow of the ship. Find out how to access it and go to the helipad at night. It's a great place to stargaze at night. Another thing I have found is every deck on the ship will have a different theme, things like animals, mountains, cars, architecture etc. All of the paintings and artwork on that particular deck will follow the same theme. Sometime during the cruise I will walk every hallway of every deck and look at the artwork. Some of it is very interesting. Knowing this about the themes can also help you find your cabin. Some people claim they forget which deck their cabin is on. Another way to remember is to look at the theme. "This is the 'montain' deck, I'm supposed to be on the 'cat' deck.

P.S. - Howdy Neighbor!

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, micahd said:

So... back to the HooToo travel router. How are you using it? connecting it to the ships wifi to share with multiple other devices? somehow getting free connectivity? @fizzywm

Share one connection with multiple devices in the same room.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, micahd said:

Thanks @Host Clarea . All over wifi or is there a hidden network cable somewhere in the room?

Over wifi. Connect your phone to the HooToo, log in to HooToo's settings and from there connect to ship wifi and log in with Voom code. From there everyone who connects to your router can use the connection.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, micahd said:

Thanks @Host Clarea . All over wifi or is there a hidden network cable somewhere in the room?

Over WiFi.  You have to pay for at least one VOOM connection.

You may have to clone your device's MAC address on the router.  There has been at least one report that indicated Royal may be blocking known MAC addresses from router manufacturers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

OP - Most of the suggestions so far have not been RCI specific, which is what you asked for. On most RCI ships you can access the helipad on the bow of the ship. Find out how to access it and go to the helipad at night. It's a great place to stargaze at night. Another thing I have found is every deck on the ship will have a different theme, things like animals, mountains, cars, architecture etc. All of the paintings and artwork on that particular deck will follow the same theme. Sometime during the cruise I will walk every hallway of every deck and look at the artwork. Some of it is very interesting. Knowing this about the themes can also help you find your cabin. Some people claim they forget which deck their cabin is on. Another way to remember is to look at the theme. "This is the 'montain' deck, I'm supposed to be on the 'cat' deck.

P.S. - Howdy Neighbor!

Love this tip about the helipad... I’ve thought of this.. I’m assuming it’s “off limits “ and you’re saying sneak there? Or the crew doesn’t care?

3 hours ago, fizzywm said:

Over wifi. Connect your phone to the HooToo, log in to HooToo's settings and from there connect to ship wifi and log in with Voom code. From there everyone who connects to your router can use the connection.

@fizzywm So let's say I get VOOM for my phone, and use the HooToo to connect my kids' phones.  Will we all have wifi all over the ship, or only in the room?  

36 minutes ago, Ogtubbx3 said:

Love this tip about the helipad... I’ve thought of this.. I’m assuming it’s “off limits “ and you’re saying sneak there? Or the crew doesn’t care?

Helipads are normally open during the day, and most of the time at night depending on the conditions. Not off limits. There are even benches to sit on. Should add that the helipad on an Oasis Class is never open to the public unless some function is being held there.

Edited by bilyclub
add

Just now, bilyclub said:

Helipads are normally open during the day, and most of the time at night depending on the conditions. Not off limits. There are even benches to sit on.

Thanks so much! Definitely going to be heading there 

3 minutes ago, Ogtubbx3 said:

Thanks so much! Definitely going to be heading there 

I forgot that they are off limits on the Oasis Class.  On those ships there is the area on top of the bridge is accessible.

Edited by bilyclub
add

12 minutes ago, Ogtubbx3 said:

Well that changes that.. 😣

They are open on the Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom Class.  Quantum Class doesn't technically have a heli pad and it's off limits anyway.

Edited by bilyclub

1 minute ago, bilyclub said:

They are open on the Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom Class.  Quantum Class doesn't technically have a heli pad and it's off limits anyway.

I’ll be on Allure, no helipad for me 🤷🏼‍♀️ thanks for all the info though! 

11 minutes ago, Ogtubbx3 said:

I’ll be on Allure, no helipad for me 🤷🏼‍♀️ thanks for all the info though! 

They used to have a party for suite and top tier C & A on the Allure helipad.  Don't know if they still do.

Deck 14 observation area, above the bridge wings. Go forward in the deck 14 port side passenger corridor through a door.

23548148943_40564e2cef.jpg

Edited by bilyclub
add

4 hours ago, micahd said:

I don’t know much about network cables, etc but I accidentally pulled out a drawer and what looked like ‘net stuff was there — antenna and such. Tried taking a pic but all components were black so nothing showed.

Cabin 7264. You will notice that the inside of the drawer is not as deep as it should be.

4 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

@fizzywm So let's say I get VOOM for my phone, and use the HooToo to connect my kids' phones.  Will we all have wifi all over the ship, or only in the room?  

What brillohead said, you’ll have WiFi when in proximity of the Tripmate. But there are battery versions that are portable. If you leave the Tripmate in your room, you just have to remember to log out of Voom before you leave the room, so that then you can access Voom on your phone again on the rest of the ship. The Tripmate counts as your one logged-in device, while sharing the connection. 

Edited by fizzywm

3 hours ago, cgags47 said:

That tripmate looks like it could be a useful item.  Is it easy enough to connect to the Voom network?

Yes i'm also thinking about getting one if anyone can give us more info .

11 hours ago, Rubysky said:

I don’t know much about network cables, etc but I accidentally pulled out a drawer and what looked like ‘net stuff was there — antenna and such. Tried taking a pic but all components were black so nothing showed.

Cabin 7264. You will notice that the inside of the drawer is not as deep as it should be.

I got down on my arthritic knees and moved things around and got rid of some junk, it might just be the tv. Don’t know what the green things are for.

What looked like an antenna was not connected to anything. ☹️

1B380381-A8A3-4101-8796-16F079F3DE46.jpeg

5EDC2871-CA0A-4B9B-BABC-C0CBE40973FE.jpeg