What is you favorite cruise hack on RCCL

Not that I'm any kind of "rules" person myself as I've been known to bend one or two in the past but, isn't the use of travel routers "breaking the rules"?  If I understand correctly, you can purchase the one-device internet package, connect the router, then connect multiple devices to the router, thereby getting around the need to purchase a multi device package?

Isn't that the same thing as a Diamond member sharing free drinks with a non-Diamond or smuggling alcohol (or extra wine) onboard or people with a drink package sharing....

I don't have an issue with the travel router myself but I'm just wondering where the typical CC outrage is......:classic_biggrin:

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LovetheTXsun said:

Liberty of the Seas

Sorrento's Pizza.  Very tasty, almost addictive. I believe they upgraded their recipe and ingredients  There may be a short line but it moves really quick.

Cafe Promenade will have pastries, yogurts and snack sized mini sandwiches which can holds me over to dinner time.

And if you purchase The Key, you can eat lunch at Chops Grille.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Sorrento's Pizza.  Very tasty, almost addictive. I believe they upgraded their recipe and ingredients  There may be a short line but it moves really quick.

Cafe Promenade will have pastries, yogurts and snack sized mini sandwiches which can holds me over to dinner time.

It's worth grabbing something at these locations to avoid the madness of the buffet embarkation day lunch IMO.  I think this will be my plan this next cruise.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Not that I'm any kind of "rules" person myself as I've been known to bend one or two in the past but, isn't the use of travel routers "breaking the rules"?  If I understand correctly, you can purchase the one-device internet package, connect the router, then connect multiple devices to the router, thereby getting around the need to purchase a multi device package?

Isn't that the same thing as a Diamond member sharing free drinks with a non-Diamond or smuggling alcohol (or extra wine) onboard or people with a drink package sharing....

I don't have an issue with the travel router myself but I'm just wondering where the typical CC outrage is......:classic_biggrin:

Sort of.  But you still have only one connection to the ship.   If you have 5 people sharing one connection, they each have 20% of the bandwidth of a single connection.  Not exactly, as it dynamic.

It is similar to sharing the 3 free drinks for D or higher.  You still only get 3, so if shared between 3 people, each gets the equivalent of 1 drink.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I guess the Cruise Critic’s Ethics Committee has also been effected by the government shut down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Host Clarea

liked the question/answer re lunch options on liberty of seas, do you know what options if any on voyager of seas?

It will be our first time on this ship.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Dundee12

18 hours ago, HBE4 said:

The router only gives you wifi in the room (or wherever you put the router) -- not over the entire ship.  So it's really not quite the same as getting "free" devices. 

Yes, you can both use it at the same time, but it's just one ship connection, and you both have to be in the same place at the same time, so it's not much different than one person logging off and the other person logging on. 

With the shared router, you can't just pay for one and both use it anywhere you want at any time.  You're still very limited.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

On Liberty, you will have Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's as alternatives to Windjammer for lunch on boarding day.

Is Johnny Rockets not open on boarding day? While I know there is a charge, I don't feel it's too bad. Just another possibility.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dundee12 said:

Host Clarea

liked the question/answer re lunch options on liberty of seas, do you know what options if any on voyager of seas?

It will be our first time on this ship.

Thanks in advance

Voyager has Cafe Promenade as an alternative "free" lunch venue.

A few i have picked up:

- Hold onto your towel for dear life. Someone took my boyfriends towel whilst we were on the flowrider. We explained the situation and they didn't charge us, but it wasn't the best start to the cruise.

- Ask the room steward for more hangers. Don't bring them with you!

- Breakfast in the MDR is a lot more civilised. Can choose from buffet, menu or a combo of the two. 

- Sorrentos serves pizza very late. Its a wonderful snack at 2am! 

- On the Symphony the artwork was incredible. There was a painting of a captain on one of the higher stateroom decks near the front. You had to open the Royal app, open the scanner on it and point your phone at the photo. It then showed a live stream of the bridge!!

- The bartenders know drinks that are not on the menu.

- If you want a certain brand of spirit in your drink, tell them! Eg, ' A Belvedere Appletini'. 

- Take advantage of the competitions they run. I got invited to one in Regalia as i had spent over $50 in the giftshop. All you had to do was try a piece of jewellery on and let them take a photo. All photos were put in a loop and stopped at random. However, there were only 30 people in the one i entered, AND, they only give the prize if the person is present. They must have re-chosen 5 times when i was there! 

- Speciality restaurant bars are wonderful and you do not necessarily need to eat there to get a drink. Eg Wonderland bar. We only realised this after eating there! 

- Bring long trousers if you are planning on ice skating. I would never usually pack long trousers for a Caribbean cruise! 

- If you are in an inside cabin, set the tv channel to the bridge cam. 

18 minutes ago, OceanBlue123 said:

Are there also alternatives to the buffet when first boarding Anthem? One thing I love about NCL is they always have an MDR open as an alternative for that first lunch.

Yes, there are other food venues open on board day. 

This thread has Compass scans, see day 1 for food venues:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2657067

8 hours ago, payitforward said:

Is Johnny Rockets not open on boarding day? While I know there is a charge, I don't feel it's too bad. Just another possibility.

Yes it is and that's where we'll head on embarkation day.  No one thinks to eat there then so it's quiet and the service is great .

Another place we like to eat at on embarkation day is the barbecue area by the pool (forget what it's called).  Very few people think to eat outside by the pool and even less think to order burgers & dogs for the first lunch.

28 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Another place we like to eat at on embarkation day is the barbecue area by the pool (forget what it's called).  Very few people think to eat outside by the pool and even less think to order burgers & dogs for the first lunch.

On which RC ship is the pool BBQ located?

On 1/25/2019 at 10:37 AM, HBE4 said:

It's a way of saving money by bringing something on board you can use, and not have to pay as much to RCI. It's no different than smuggling your own booze on to the ship, which nearly everybody here seems to be fine with. :classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Yes it is and that's where we'll head on embarkation day.  No one thinks to eat there then so it's quiet and the service is great .

What ship?🤔

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:07 PM, fizzywm said:

I guess most of these aren't RCI specific, but:

– Essential oil for the toilet (I use eucalyptus), a la Poo-Pourri

– A travel steamer

– Rum runners 😊

– Yeti cup (so many people on my last cruise had one–wondered why I never thought of it!)
– Trial-size Clorox wipes pack

– Saving a bag of potato chips from Park Cafe at lunchtime, or Cheerios from breakfast, as a snack for later

– My personal favorite, the HooToo Tripmate. It's worked flawlessly on Majesty OTS and every hotel and plane I've tested it on. Fingers crossed it will work on Oasis in 3 weeks.

Last cruise my son pretty much lived off of mini boxes of Frosted Flakes and applesauce. He was 4 ;). We grabbed several boxes each morning.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:05 AM, Glitterati said:

A few i have picked up:

- Hold onto your towel for dear life. Someone took my boyfriends towel whilst we were on the flowrider. We explained the situation and they didn't charge us, but it wasn't the best start to the cruise.

- Ask the room steward for more hangers. Don't bring them with you!

Thanks for the heads up on the hangers ~ wouldn’t have thought you could ask for more.  Was going to pack them....now I have room to overpack more clothes I won’t wear 😁 (must. have. choices....) 

The towel being taken ~ how frustrating.  Maybe just bring our own towels?

10 hours ago, LovetheTXsun said:

The towel being taken ~ how frustrating.  Maybe just bring our own towels?

Just don't leave your fresh towel holding a lounger for a long period of time. 😄

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1