taxis or Uber cost in Singapore?

Amster12345

I'm flying into Singapore a couple days before my cruise.  I'm staying at the Marina Mandarin.  The hotel wants $117 SGD, about $86 in USD, to pick us up at the airport and bring us to the hotel.  According to GoogleMaps, it's about a 19km drive.  That sounds really expensive to me.  Is it?  How much do taxis there cost?  Or Uber if people use that there? 

8 hours ago, Amster12345 said:

I'm flying into Singapore a couple days before my cruise.  I'm staying at the Marina Mandarin.  The hotel wants $117 SGD, about $86 in USD, to pick us up at the airport and bring us to the hotel.  According to GoogleMaps, it's about a 19km drive.  That sounds really expensive to me.  Is it?  How much do taxis there cost?  Or Uber if people use that there? 

According to the news, no more Uber in Singapore.  Local version is called Grab.  

13 hours ago, Amster12345 said:

You did not mention how many people are in your group. Back in April my wife and I took a taxi from the airport with our two large luggage and it was about 20SGD. 

If you want the cheaper option, just get a taxi from the airport (being sure to use the official taxi queue, of course 😉 ) Hotels - esp the higer$ places - charge quite the premium for a pickup service.

Can't remember what our fare was but I'm sure it was closer to $20SGD than $120SGD! And that includes going to the wrong hotel first 😉 (we stayed at the Oasia Downtown which had only been open a couple months - cab driver originally took us to the Oasia Novena)

I live in Singapore.

Since there are just 2 of you, take a taxi.  They are efficient and inexpensive by Western standards.

When you reach the Arrival Halls, just follow the sign to taxis.  There are plenty and the queues are very well organised. 

It shouldn't cost you more than $30 SGD to get from the airport to Marina Mandarin.

Have you seen my videos of the Marina Mandarin, Suntec City area?  Here you go.  Marina Mandarin is a nice hotel, and there is a walkway to Marina Square.  You can find plenty of eateries and even a food court at Marina Square, i.e. you don't have to eat expensive hotel food.  This video illustrates.  See from 2:40 as I make my way to Marina Mandarin from the Marina Square mall.

In this video, I show you how to walk to Esplanade MRT from Marina Square.