Live Review- Symphony of the Seas 1/12/19; First Oasis Class in 7 Years!

OTownNick

13 hours ago, perfect match said:

Yep, that's a big boy cat you have there! Our boy is about the same size, and just as fluffy. Love the picture of the two of you. 

Symphony looks beautiful! We can't wait to be on her! Final payment is coming due soon, plan to get that taken care of this week.

I know you're not doing Traditional dining, but I'm wondering what times the seatings actually are. On our last several cruises, our reservation said late dining was one time, only to find the actual time to be different once we got aboard. The change in time for dinner always creates conflicts with our carefully planned show reservations. 

Seatings are 5:30 and 8:00 for traditional dining 

8 hours ago, oceanblue33 said:

Hey Nick really enjoying your live review thanks so much. Two quick questions how was Wonderland and they rent tuxes on the ship.  Great review.

I will find out the answer to both of these and let you know. We decided not to do Wonderland this time. Friends did eat there last night and she will be posting food pics and giving a review here on this review. 

3 minutes ago, OTownNick said:

I will find out the answer to both of these and let you know. We decided not to do Wonderland this time. Friends did eat there last night and she will be posting food pics and giving a review here on this review. 

Wonderland was wonderful! Paul and I did Wonderland several years ago on Quantum Bayonne to Barcelona. He called it a “chick” restaurant. I liked it and went by myself on  Anthem and told him menu offers were different. So I was so surprised and happy he was willing to try it again. I will post pictures and other observstions from my ipad. Easier than doing on iPhone.

-Cheryl

Day 3- Roatan. Our first port of call. I’m pleasantly surprised. It’s got a small area right next to the dock (not a tendered port) with shops and small bars. It’s quaint. The scenery from the ship is beautiful. This is the prettiest port we will be docked in for this itinerary. I’ve already been to the others before so I know what to expect at those places. 

I started the day getting my espresso and cappuccino and then getting to the gym by 7:15. This gym is really good but so far it’s pretty crowded each time. On sea days you need to be here by 8:00AM if you want to be able to get any kind of workout in. 

We booked Boddens Tour for $30/pp. payable by cash once you arrive at Victor’s Monkey Business (Victor Bodden owns the animal sanctuary). We met the guide right at the port and we got lucky because it was just me and my wife! We had a private tour! The guide Issac was super nice and gave us flexibility on our tour. 

We fell in love with the sloths at the sanctuary. If you ever have a chance to hug a sloth, i highly recommend it. 

We drove to West End Beach and then to West Bay. These are very pretty areas.  The water at West Bay Beach was probably the clearaest most beautiful water we’ve seen. I was surprised to learn that Roatan has about 180,000 residents and almost HALF are Americans and Canadians. Who came here to retire. At least that’s what our guide told us. 

We came back onboard around Noon or 12:30 ships time. We stayed on ships time although the local time was an hour behind us. 

We were hungry so we first went up to the Suites Lounge to get a beer (free) and I had a small snack. Then we headed to the Windjammer for the first time thuan cruise. I wasn’t impressed with the selection but it was only lunch and it was adequate enough.   My favorite item was roasted sweet potatoes. Now it’s nap time. Here are a few pics from the monkey and sloth sanctuary.

B3354D9F-95DD-424D-AC15-36062FA49C18.jpeg

5E5E99C5-F7B3-4252-A252-A01D31C40024.jpeg

A6D5F8AD-EC82-4176-B019-B74F8067FE2E.jpeg

07A56BC1-7E95-4809-AF89-387A4EA84E7F.jpeg

ADF2C2AD-5077-4376-B39D-C35D6567CD38.jpeg

37ADB6F4-1D72-438C-BF14-5F28416E5362.jpeg

37B9E99F-E8C7-42E0-B09F-61CCD01B972C.jpeg

FEA1379D-6C1E-4CEC-BCBE-402C0D9751C2.jpeg

Nick,  your pictures are awesome.  The only time I have seen a sloth was one hanging from a tree.  They appear to be a very cuddly animal.

The first and last time we were in Roatan was I think when it opened up to cruise ships.  A very dirty muddy road which led to a few run down huts.  I remember a little boy running after my husband and wanted to sell him a plastic ring.  Of course DH obliged.  I'll never forget the sweet smile on that little boy's face.  Roatan has certainly changed and I'm looking forward to visiting there again next month.

Janeen

2 hours ago, OTownNick said:

Day 3- Roatan. Our first port of call. I’m pleasantly surprised. It’s got a small area right next to the dock (not a tendered port) with shops and small bars. It’s quaint. The scenery from the ship is beautiful. This is the prettiest port we will be docked in for this itinerary. I’ve already been to the others before so I know what to expect at those places. 

I started the day getting my espresso and cappuccino and then getting to the gym by 7:15. This gym is really good but so far it’s pretty crowded each time. On sea days you need to be here by 8:00AM if you want to be able to get any kind of workout in. 

We booked Boddens Tour for $30/pp. payable by cash once you arrive at Victor’s Monkey Business (Victor Bodden owns the animal sanctuary). We met the guide right at the port and we got lucky because it was just me and my wife! We had a private tour! The guide Issac was super nice and gave us flexibility on our tour. 

We fell in love with the sloths at the sanctuary. If you ever have a chance to hug a sloth, i highly recommend it. 

We drove to West End Beach and then to West Bay. These are very pretty areas.  The water at West Bay Beach was probably the clearaest most beautiful water we’ve seen. I was surprised to learn that Roatan has about 180,000 residents and almost HALF are Americans and Canadians. Who came here to retire. At least that’s what our guide told us. 

We came back onboard around Noon or 12:30 ships time. We stayed on ships time although the local time was an hour behind us. 

We were hungry so we first went up to the Suites Lounge to get a beer (free) and I had a small snack. Then we headed to the Windjammer for the first time thuan cruise. I wasn’t impressed with the selection but it was only lunch and it was adequate enough.   My favorite item was roasted sweet potatoes. Now it’s nap time. Here are a few pics from the monkey and sloth sanctuary.

B3354D9F-95DD-424D-AC15-36062FA49C18.jpeg

5E5E99C5-F7B3-4252-A252-A01D31C40024.jpeg

A6D5F8AD-EC82-4176-B019-B74F8067FE2E.jpeg

07A56BC1-7E95-4809-AF89-387A4EA84E7F.jpeg

ADF2C2AD-5077-4376-B39D-C35D6567CD38.jpeg

37ADB6F4-1D72-438C-BF14-5F28416E5362.jpeg

37B9E99F-E8C7-42E0-B09F-61CCD01B972C.jpeg

FEA1379D-6C1E-4CEC-BCBE-402C0D9751C2.jpeg

Can we go and use this pool?  Name please

On 1/13/2019 at 8:43 AM, renza said:

Someone asked about a tendered port on video, non of the oasis class ships are tendered. Way to many people for tender. 

40 minutes ago, renza said:

Oasis class ship never ever tender. Too big. 

By any chance do you know if Oasis class ships ever tender? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Where did you take the photos of the pool and beach areas?  I am hoping it was at the beach portion of the tour because I have the Fun-n-Sun tour booked in March.  Did you go to the beach?

I'm interested to know which resort/beach this is as well! Did you have time to enjoy the pool?

We are going to Roatan on Harmony in October and I'm SO EXCITED to go to the Sloth and Monkey EcoPark. I didn't realize Victor owned the tour company and the zoo! Too cool!

10 hours ago, OTownNick said:

Seatings are 5:30 and 8:00 for traditional dining 

Thanks, Nick! Good to know that the times I'm seeing match up with the actual times on the ship. 

Those sloth pictures are awesome! Looks like you and your wife had a great time hugging the sloths! 

15 hours ago, renza said:

Can we go and use this pool?  Name please

The only problem is this area is not included in any tour. Our tour guide took us here cause he happened to know people their and we were the only ones on our tour. However nearby West End Beach is accessible and its beautiful. We would go there next rime. Taxis or tours going rhere would be the way to go. 

Edited by OTownNick
  • Like 1

The pool/beach photos we took was at the Grand Roatan Caribbean Resort. West Bay. Wish we could spend a day or a week there. It’s private. We were lucky enough to be able to go in and tour the place. When we return to Roatan we would find a way to go back to West End Beach. Don’t go to Bananarama Beach. Too crowded. Here’s a pic of West End Beach area 

ABC31C10-29E5-47E3-BC6C-25A4D1848554.jpeg

8FB66113-9142-4DCD-A525-606E7B57471A.jpeg

On 1/13/2019 at 7:10 AM, blusun said:

Following along - we are on the same trip April 6th, was also thinking of the same Bodden Fun and Sun tour.

Have a great time!

Same here.  We're on May 11th almost same itinerary except we hit Cococay instead of Nassau . 

We're bringing our two kids and staying in a Grand Suite so I'm loving this review.  I haven't been on a Cruise since 2002 (pre-kids) so this should be fun!

Nick, you have to wear your yellow crocs with the tux at least ONCE!  Please?

I want to cruise with you, you look like a blast!

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor

Today we woke up to a rainy day in Costa Maya. We are in port with NCL Escape so there’s a lot of people here. The rain is keeping many on the ships. From what I’m hearing this morning, “everyone” wants to go to Krazy Lobster.. I really wanted my wife to see this place but because the rain is expected most of the day, she would rather stay on the ship! That’s fine by me because we haven’t even seen half the ship! I have not gotten to ride the water slides or Flow Rider yet so today would be a great day to get wet. The lines should be low so that would be a bonus.