ONSHORE CRUISE OPERATORS

mick rivers

My brother and I are first time cruisers, we have booked 7 day cruise on MSC Meraviglia from Genoa, we are novices and are looking for any information as to independent onshore excursion operators, most especially from Civitavecchia/Rome, Barcelona, Marseille, what criteria we should follow, any warnings in booking one.

If you look thru the first several pages of each forum, you'll find all the popular vendors used at each port. 

I'm doing a W Med cruise in Sept and have found over a dozen companies thru these forums ..... use the search tool to find old trip reports ( "w med review" or 'w med report' ), or go to MSC forum and look at Meraviglia threads.  I also bought Rick Steves book on Med Cruise ports, and borrowed a few travel books from the library. 

A little research will make you more comfortable about excursion choices.  

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

If you look thru the first several pages of each forum, you'll find all the popular vendors used at each port. 

I'm doing a W Med cruise in Sept and have found over a dozen companies thru these forums ..... use the search tool to find old trip reports ( "w med review" or 'w med report' ), or go to MSC forum and look at Meraviglia threads.  I also bought Rick Steves book on Med Cruise ports, and borrowed a few travel books from the library. 

A little research will make you more comfortable about excursion choices.  

Here are past threads for  your ship.  Just skim thru the titles and look for W Med.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=meraviglia&type=forums_topic&nodes=49&sortby=newest&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&page=1

Another suggestion is to join your ships Roll Call.   Many of your fellow travellers will be looking for tour suggestions whether it be DIY or a group.  Or sometimes they have found a great private excursion but need 2 or 3 more people to join them to keep the cost down or they want to join a small group excursion https://italytours.eu/rome-tours-civitavecchia/best-of-rome-full-day/

For Rome I couldn't find the itinerary I wanted for but in reading trip reports learned it was easy enough to take the train and DIY.    And in Naples I found a vendor who will let us customize one of their 8 hr tours.