Rhine water levels 2019 and similar topics

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, djh1959 said:

Oh well never mind.  At least you have a two week cruise, I'll probably be sorry to have to get off lol.

My only worry about arriving on the day of the cruise is flight delays, although we are coming from Australia so it's a long way.  It always takes a day or two to get over the jetlag.  

Where are you coming from, the UK presumably?

We are coming from Sydney 🙂 I see you are from Melbourne? Yes, a little worried about jetlag, urgh, but hoping to handle it. I will stick my head in the Rhine to wake up 😉 

33 minutes ago, Schlugs said:

We are coming from Sydney 🙂 I see you are from Melbourne? Yes, a little worried about jetlag, urgh, but hoping to handle it. I will stick my head in the Rhine to wake up 😉 

Lol I am sure you will be fine.  We find that coming home is far, far worse than going.  Excitement keeps you up when you are in a new place or an old favourite.

Fly safely and have a great trip.

• Like 1

Good morning, just here briefly to say that the river level at Kaub is fine. Along the Rhine we have not had the ups and downs there were on the Bavarian Danube (thankfully, too nerve-wracking over there). Current levels are Maxau 430cm, Kaub 120cm, Koblenz 126cm. That is of course a bit low for barges - reduced load, more transport costs - but it need not worry river cruisers.

djh1959 and Schlugs, back to you. Lovely reading your conversation posted from so far away. Have a great trip.

notamermaid

• Like 2

On 10/4/2019 at 3:02 AM, rileygirl12 said:

Bring warm clothes because it’s cold! I’m jealous of the passengers that have down jackets 

Can you define cold?  What’s the temperature?  We leave in less than 2 weeks and are packing.  I run really hot.  I don’t own a heavy coat, not just because I don’t need one in Texas, but because I like the cold.  I’m that person walking around ski towns in the winter without a coat, “soaking in the cold”.  But when we did the Danube Christmas market cruise a few years ago there was a storm that came through Vienna that brought snow and bitter cold.  So I’m totally torn on what to pack.  The forecast seems to be in the 50s for most of our trip, which sounds perfect to me.  But it’s hard to know until you are there. 

34 minutes ago, SuzCruise said:

Can you define cold?  What’s the temperature?  We leave in less than 2 weeks and are packing.  I run really hot.  I don’t own a heavy coat, not just because I don’t need one in Texas, but because I like the cold.  I’m that person walking around ski towns in the winter without a coat, “soaking in the cold”.  But when we did the Danube Christmas market cruise a few years ago there was a storm that came through Vienna that brought snow and bitter cold.  So I’m totally torn on what to pack.  The forecast seems to be in the 50s for most of our trip, which sounds perfect to me.  But it’s hard to know until you are there. 

The answer is not a thick down jacket, the answer lies in "layers" of clothes, that you can peeol off or put on as required.

Just keep looking athe online temperatures for 2 or 3 ports on you cruise, then look at their history.

21 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Good morning, just here briefly to say that the river level at Kaub is fine. Along the Rhine we have not had the ups and downs there were on the Bavarian Danube (thankfully, too nerve-wracking over there). Current levels are Maxau 430cm, Kaub 120cm, Koblenz 126cm. That is of course a bit low for barges - reduced load, more transport costs - but it need not worry river cruisers.

djh1959 and Schlugs, back to you. Lovely reading your conversation posted from so far away. Have a great trip.

notamermaid

Thanks notamermaid, your posts have been so enjoyable to read for the last eighteen months.
We fly out on Thursday night and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the water levels remain good enough for the trip.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SuzCruise said:

We are from Florida so probably affected by the cold more than the Canadians on board. It has been overcast or raining in every port since we arrived Wednesday. I left my down jacket at home since the temperatures were to be in the 50’s. Of course that’s the high for the day and it all depends on when your tours are. Ours have left the ship at 9am so this morning it was raining and felt like 43* at that time. You definitely need a good raincoat. I typically wear a long sleeve top then a sweater then a fleece jacket then my raincoat plus a fleece hat and gloves. Our cabin has a big umbrella which I used today but I wish I brought my pop up umbrella in my purse just because it would of been handier. I left it at home since it said the cabin had one although it gave great coverage kind of a pain dragging it everywhere. I have been warm enough with all those layers but a bit of a pain peeling them off when you go inside. Some people have plastic rain ponchos which really seems to keep them drier than just a raincoat. Hope that helps! Pray for sun!

3 hours ago, djh1959 said:

Thanks notamermaid, your posts have been so enjoyable to read for the last eighteen months.
We fly out on Thursday night and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the water levels remain good enough for the trip.

Yes I second that 🙂

Well all of it except the flying out Thursday part, as we fly out Sunday .. 😁😁 Notamermaid..I wasn't actually sure if we were allowed to chat away about things other than weather...so thankyou! And a great trip to you djh1959!!

I have sprayed my puffer jacket and shoes with water repellent in case of rain...or in case there is so much water in the rivers that it splashes up!  Heh, but yes, also have some of those cheap ponchos, just in case. OOH, now adding in a pop up brolly too! Thankyou rileygirl12.

Wonder what the week will bring...

Schlugs,

22 hours ago, Schlugs said:

Notamermaid..I wasn't actually sure if we were allowed to chat away about things other than weather...so thankyou!

anything to do with the Rhine, cruise, weather, packing, etc. this is what the thread is meant for (in my humble opinion). Keep on chatting people, keeps me from holding a monologue. :classic_wink:

With things looking good I shall only be brief today. We have had a few cold and rainy days. It felt like we had more rain in four days than in the past four weeks. Whatever the statistics may be, it has certainly raised the levels all along the river. Kaub is now at 141cm and likely to rise more. We could see 200cm this week. Rain Tuesday to Thursday. Temperatures (all Celsius) are 7 to 10 in the lows but can rise to 14 to 17 during the day. At the weekend 22 degrees are possible in the warm parts of the valley.

It looks like we could get three "Goldener Oktober" days after all!

notamermaid

Hello USC Adventurer,

ah, this is an established term for sunny days that usually happen - when they happen - in the second third of October. It is somewhat akin to "Indian Summer". It refers to the fact that the yellow- orange hue of autumn leaves shines golden in sunlight. It also implies that people like this phenomenon, so much that around this point in time in weather reports the big question is "will we get a "Goldener Oktober" or will it be grey and rainy?".

It is so much of an old coined term that it actually has a wikipedia site in German, with two nice photos: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldener_Oktober

As I said, it looks promising for this weekend along the Rhine. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

With things looking good I shall only be brief today. We have had a few cold and rainy days. It felt like we had more rain in four days than in the past four weeks. Whatever the statistics may be, it has certainly raised the levels all along the river. Kaub is now at 141cm and likely to rise more. We could see 200cm this week. Rain Tuesday to Thursday. Temperatures (all Celsius) are 7 to 10 in the lows but can rise to 14 to 17 during the day. At the weekend 22 degrees are possible in the warm parts of the valley.

Thanks.  Is there a level where either currents get too strong for save navigation or bridge clearances start to get critical?

I'm on Crystal Bach Amsterdam to Baisel October 27.

Roy

Thanks for your explanation of golden or days I really appreciate it and I like that term very very much my Rhine River Cruise starts in Basel on November 3rd so I might be a little late to see all the beautiful fall colors but I'm still really excited about my first river cruise and first visit to Switzerland France and Germany and Holland

rafinmd,

Levels have risen quite a bit but we are far away from high water. Basel has seen a big rise as well and there is a low bridge. I cannot say what the maximum clearance is there. At this point in time I do not think it is critical yet. Lake Constance, sending the water down to Basel, is not filled that much. All other gauges are above low levels, approaching mean levels in part. For Maxau the safe level is 620cm, at which point traffic slows down. It is currently at 490cm. A level above 600cm is not expected. At Kaub the safe level is 460cm, which we are far away from. River closure happens at even higher figures only. All bridges along the Rhine in Germany have huge headroom, I am not familiar with the river and canals in the Netherlands.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
name added
  • Thanks 1

Well we sail on 14th October, so hopefully there will be lots of autumn colours and possible a little sunshine to go with it.
The complete opposite of here in Melbourne, Australia, where spring is springing everywhere, except for today which is cold and wet.
We can't wait to get to Amsterdam on Friday and get ready for our cruise.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:20 PM, USC Adventurer said:

Thanks for your explanation of golden or days I really appreciate it and I like that term very very much my Rhine River Cruise starts in Basel on November 3rd so I might be a little late to see all the beautiful fall colors but I'm still really excited about my first river cruise and first visit to Switzerland France and Germany and Holland

It is all new for you then, that must be exciting!

3rd November is a little late, yes. But the good thing is, the castles and palaces have their own appeal at this time of year and can be even more dark romantic than in Summer. Unless it is very foggy or rains by the bucket load.

You will be able to share the towns with fewer day trippers and potentially fewer ships (Viking I am afraid is ubiquitous these days so they are always docking somewhere near you I think - double docking now a constant for them in Koblenz), which is nice.

I am sure you will bring back great memories of the trip and - who knows - you might get hooked on river cruising. You have been warned :classic_biggrin:.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

December on the Danube, now that is bound to be a bit more magical than November on the Rhine.

But to the present. It has been raining a lot around here, feels more than the forecast said a few days ago. The river has risen quite a lot. The levels: Maxau 579cm, and still rising. It is approaching the flood mark I of 620cm at which point river traffic has to go slowly. Current forecast is for 610cm. Kaub is at 212cm, the low water surcharge has been suspended, so that is good. Koblenz is also fine at 214cm. Both will rise with the high volume of water coming through Maxau from the Upper Rhine valley but will stay below any flood markings.

It is now definite that we will have a sunny weekend but the warm weather will not make it far into next week.

notamermaid

P.S.: I had a look at last year's thread. On 9 October 2018 the river levels I reported were Maxau 357cm, Kaub 64cm, Koblenz 58cm. What a difference to this year!

• Like 2

Thanks for your update notamermaid! Sounds good and I feel quite relieved about the river levels not being to low, and looking forward to seeing those beautiful golden colours that I rarely see here in Aussie.  

Oh wow, a big difference to last year!

Schlugs,

Have a great cruise.

The weather is relatively warm and we had a nice bit of sunshine yesterday.

The river rose so much that it scraped the flood mark I at Maxau of 620cm. Unusual in October, but it was just a spike in the graph, with no rain to follow it up the level is down to 515cm there. Kaub is showing a very good level at 237cm.

Let us have another look at Bonn. The town is really getting ready to celebrate its famous son's 250th birthday next year. A new info tour in the centre will tell you all about Beethoven. But the article also recommends tours beyond, into the Siebengebirge and along the Rhine where young Beethoven went on walks with his father: https://www.dw.com/en/take-a-stroll-with-young-beethoven/a-50792267

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

It is Monday and I would like to have just a quick look ahead into the week. Without a crystal ball we can say that the situation for cruising is really looking well and I do not expect any water level mishaps. As I indicated yesterday the river levels are falling but not so much that it should worry us this week. Kaub is still at 202cm and while it is certainly going to fall, some rain is forecast for this week making a fall to below 130cm highly unlikely before Sunday. Rain mostly Tuesday, Friday and Saturday in varying amounts across the Rhine catchment area.

Temperatures will go down after today, but remain mild for this time of year in many places along the Rhine.

Before I forget, coming up is All Saints' Day on 1 November, with shop closure, a church holiday observed (along the Rhine cruise itinerary route) in parts of Switzerland, in Baden-Württemberg, Rhineland-Palatinate, North Rhine-Westphalia, as well as France.

Have a great time sailing the river - hopefully without rain - in bright Autumn colours this week.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

This is really promising.  Do you have a feel for what will be closed in Rudesheim am Rhein on All Saints Day?

Roy

Oh, in Rüdesheim nothing will be closed out of the ordinary as it is in Hesse (very difficult to know of course) and in Hesse the day is not observed.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1