Rhine water levels 2019 and similar topics

notamermaid

@pacmom

@foodpolice 

Thank you for your wishes. The same to you.

It has been a busy Advent for me and work has kept me from enjoying longer trips to Christmas markets but I managed to squeeze in a few days on my beloved island, Kent to be precise. Other people have had more time and I enjoyed this article by a Canadian author: https://torontosun.com/travel/europe/prost-german-christmas-markets-a-jolly-good-time

Although I missed the Christmas market in Faversham as it was only on at the weekend I had a lovely shopping trip and evening stroll through the small town. I also like the Christmas lights there, here is a photo of the small and quiet market square: 

I did have a stroll along the Christmas market in Neuwied near Koblenz where a charity stall of a church parish caught my attention. I did not buy any of their handcrafted wares, yet they happily gave me a few home baked biscuits. We talked a little about our differing Christian faiths and then one of them said that what we should all focus on instead is what we have in common. A good message. I leave you with that and hope you have a splendid time whatever you celebrate.

Merry Christmas!

IMG_20191217_184627.jpg

• Like 1

There is mild frost in the valley and there is this light grey haze in the air covering the river and its banks. All but a few Christmas markets have been taken down. The river has risen giving mild flooding in the Upper Rhine valley. Maxau gauge is at 625cm, which means that river traffic has to slow down for safety reasons. But it should peak soon and return to normal status by tomorrow.

We are of course in the 12 nights' period of Christmas which has no special traditional implications in my part of the valley though. But like the British tradition we keep the Christmas lights and decorations up and they are taken down on Epiphany. However, privately people like me choose to keep them up until Maria Lichtmess, that is Candlemas on 2 February.

In these modern times Christmas lights come in all forms and sizes and I am now the owner of a string of LED lights that has a USB plug to connect it to a computer. Really nice to brighten up a work desk.

A more traditional Christmas decoration that Germany has brought the world - yes, not only food and drink like Stollen, Lebkuchen and Glühwein - is the nutcracker. Here is how this came about and why the figures are all around to this day (republished by Deutsche Welle from last year): https://m.dw.com/en/how-the-nutcracker-achieved-worldwide-fame/a-46529001

notamermaid

• Like 2

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

There is mild frost in the valley and there is this light grey haze in the air covering the river and its banks. All but a few Christmas markets have been taken down. The river has risen giving mild flooding in the Upper Rhine valley. Maxau gauge is at 625cm, which means that river traffic has to slow down for safety reasons. But it should peak soon and return to normal status by tomorrow.

We are of course in the 12 nights' period of Christmas which has no special traditional implications in my part of the valley though. But like the British tradition we keep the Christmas lights and decorations up and they are taken down on Epiphany. However, privately people like me choose to keep them up until Maria Lichtmess, that is Candlemas on 2 February.

In these modern times Christmas lights come in all forms and sizes and I am now the owner of a string of LED lights that has a USB plug to connect it to a computer. Really nice to brighten up a work desk.

A more traditional Christmas decoration that Germany has brought the world - yes, not only food and drink like Stollen, Lebkuchen and Glühwein - is the nutcracker. Here is how this came about and why the figures are all around to this day (republished by Deutsche Welle from last year): https://m.dw.com/en/how-the-nutcracker-achieved-worldwide-fame/a-46529001

notamermaid

Your posts are always so informative and fun to read.  I don't have a river cruise booked at the moment ( a tear here) but I come here everyday and feel that I always learn something new and see something interesting from your posts.

Thank you and Happy New Year 2020

On 12/29/2019 at 7:10 PM, Peekskill Peach said:

I read your valuable posts before my Viking Rhine River cruise from Basel to Amsterdam Dec. 6 - 13.  Fortunately we experienced no problems with the water level.  We enjoyed many Christmas markets.  

Thank you for your help and have a wonderful New Year.

Thank you, have a great New Year, too.

It has been such pleasure taking people along through the year, thankfully this year on the Rhine not a single sailing day lost to official low water status. And currently it is looking good for no flooding in the next week or so.

Thank you all for your kind words and joining in the conversation with tips and reports from your travels. Wishing you fun and laughter for tomorrow's celebrations and health and happiness in 2020.

notamermaid

On 12/28/2019 at 10:34 PM, helpmesailaway said:

Your posts are always so informative and fun to read.  I don't have a river cruise booked at the moment ( a tear here) but I come here everyday and feel that I always learn something new and see something interesting from your posts.

Thank you and Happy New Year 2020

Thank you for your kind words. Happy New Year!

notamermaid

On 12/31/2019 at 1:19 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you @notamermaid once again for maintaining these water level threads so assiduously.  Looking forward to your 2020 threads!  Happy New Year.

Much praise from our great host! Thank you for looking after us here on the river cruising board.

With all the praise comes the thought of responsibility for doing my best as an amateur to inform everyone to the best of my knowledge. I look forward to a year of ships sailing the river with ease and uninterrupted, giving much enjoyment to thousands of river cruisers.

But first the last sailings are still taking place. Places like Cologne harbour will soon welcome those returning from their New Year's Eve itineraries and then it will be quiet for some weeks in the tourism ports.

Last night, the Amavenita on the APT itinerary ended the year in style. They held the signature event dinner at Namedy castle and if they docked in Andernach until after midnight they will have been able to see the locals' fireworks display in the valley that is called Neuwied basin there. Wow, not a bad way to close 2019!

Now onto 2020.

Happy New Year!

notamermaid

Sounds like a wonderful end to the season, Notamermaid. I also have enjoyed your postings and like you keep up our Christmas decorations until at least mid-January. Don't usually go as far as Candlemass though. My husband and I were married on January 9, 1954, and we always have our decorations up past that week. Unfortunately here in Georgia, decorations often come down January 1. Not sure we will cruise again in Europe, my husband feels he can't do it anymore. There is one that I would love to take with Croisi Europe that starts in Berlin and ends in Copenhagen. My dad was born in Stettin and would love to see that area. Although we have loved our cruises with Uniworld, Crosi is the only one that has this route. 

All blessings in the New Year to you and your readers.IMG_1161.jpg.77d61f0017fad7e64df165c224e6eaa9.jpg

On 1/2/2020 at 3:39 PM, GeorgaRambler said:

Sounds like a wonderful end to the season, Notamermaid. I also have enjoyed your postings and like you keep up our Christmas decorations until at least mid-January. Don't usually go as far as Candlemass though. My husband and I were married on January 9, 1954, and we always have our decorations up past that week. Unfortunately here in Georgia, decorations often come down January 1. Not sure we will cruise again in Europe, my husband feels he can't do it anymore. There is one that I would love to take with Croisi Europe that starts in Berlin and ends in Copenhagen. My dad was born in Stettin and would love to see that area. Although we have loved our cruises with Uniworld, Crosi is the only one that has this route. 

All blessings in the New Year to you and your readers.IMG_1161.jpg.77d61f0017fad7e64df165c224e6eaa9.jpg

Happy Anniversary! Hope you are having a great time celebrating and next year's day will see you as happy as in your lovely photo. And the year after, ...

I was in Stettin about 25 years ago, a city just emerging from behind the curtain. It was fascinating. Hope you get to see it, perhaps on a land trip rather than a cruise? Danzig (Gdansk) is a delight, very well worth seeing, a great region to explore, I recommend it, all river cruise fans out there. :classic_smile:

But back to the lovely couple: Thank you for sharing your story and photo. :classic_smile::classic_smile: Have a great 2020.

notamermaid