Danube water levels 2019 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

17 hours ago, Mimosa09 said:

We are now at the Radisson Bleu in Bucharest & went to the general meeting held by our local host. Besides giving us general information & discussing the tours available from Uniworld in/out of Bucharest, she has informed us we will not be embarking on our boat from Giurgiu on Oct 2nd, but the busses will drive another hour to get us to Turnu Magurele to embark. This also tells me that we will be taking busses back to Rousse for excursions there. 

We are actually in Russe today and it’s a really nice town, very Mediterranean feel. And only 15 minute walk from the river to the centre. 

We we should have been here all day but are moving upriver to Svistov to pick up tourers. This has meant that the tour was all day with 4 hours on buses instead of two half day tours with the boat staying in Russe. 

This is us the main square from our coffee stop 

31026B63-173D-407D-A03E-C1F38A2C8CD8.jpeg

A quick look at Pfelling this lunchtime. As predicted the level has fallen, now being at 272cm. This is quite a drop, but I am only mildly surprised now, having followed the level for a few weeks now. To expand on my post last week about the difference in reaction to rain on the Rhine and Danube, here is what I noticed in lack of rain. In the last 12 hours Maxau on the Rhine has managed a drop of 11cm, Pfelling in the same time span 26cm.

If I was a forecaster in Bavaria I would probably give up my job out of desperation (yes, they were wrong by more than 4cm again).

This is rather unpleasant and we could see a tiny change for the worse during today. Tomorrow looks, hmm, similar to today... if one still wants to go by the forecast.

Rain just as drizzle today, with a fair bit spread over the catchment area of the Danube tomorrow. Also rain in the Austrian Alps which is good for Austria's stretches and further afield - hoping some direct rain as well as the water will reach the countries further downstream.

Thank you to jo-b and everyone else reporting from Hungary and further afield, it is really helpful. Have fun!

And now, in my next post that is, let us have a break from river levels.

notamermaid

Onto something more joyous than the low water levels. When in Vienna you are likely to visit the palaces and the riding school and the cafés and ... Forget opulence, Klimt, horses and coffee for an hour or two. Here is my tip for an experience of a lifetime.

Which is in all likelihood the most famous hare in the art world? Albrecht Dürer's. Over 500 years old, the painting is a masterpiece of animal painting. If you happen to be in Vienna in the next few months you have the rare chance to see the original exhibited at the Albertina Museum: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20190917-albrecht-drer-the-painter-with-a-magical-touch

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
corrected word

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

A quick look at Pfelling this lunchtime. As predicted the level has fallen, now being at 272cm. This is quite a drop, but I am only mildly surprised now, having followed the level for a few weeks now. To expand on my post last week about the difference in reaction to rain on the Rhine and Danube, here is what I noticed in lack of rain. In the last 12 hours Maxau on the Rhine has managed a drop of 11cm, Pfelling in the same time span 26cm.

If I was a forecaster in Bavaria I would probably give up my job out of desperation (yes, they were wrong by more than 4cm again).

This is rather unpleasant and we could see a tiny change for the worse during today. Tomorrow looks, hmm, similar to today... if one still wants to go by the forecast.

Rain just as drizzle today, with a fair bit spread over the catchment area of the Danube tomorrow. Also rain in the Austrian Alps which is good for Austria's stretches and further afield - hoping some direct rain as well as the water will reach the countries further downstream.

Thank you to jo-b and everyone else reporting from Hungary and further afield, it is really helpful. Have fun!

And now, in my next post that is, let us have a break from river levels.

notamermaid

Thank you notamermaid! We are leaving for Prague a week from today and then to Nuremburg for Romantic Danube in Viking. I have been following weather on several German weather sites and would like a reminder please of the catchment areas for the stretch of Danube between Nuremburg and Budapest. Thank you!

p.s. Wish we had time to find my uncle’s grave in Nuremburg but knowing his address from letters to my mom I could Google and look at the picture of his home. A thrill!

I am wondering if there a magic water level number on the Danbue from Vilshofen thru Budapest.. that will keep us sailing and not make it a bus trip ?   I have been keeping my eye on the weather for this week .. and I see a chance of light rain every day .  20 % - 60 % .. so I guess we can hope that we won't have to keep packing and unpacking ..

Nuremberg to Budapest is a huge area! With little time this is the best map I have ready. There are some better ones. We need to exclude Nuremberg of course, being on the canal. This is from the French Wikipedia site: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Bassin-du-Danube.png

The red line to the left is marked as the canal, at its end you meet the Danube at Kelheim. A little West of the letter D of Danube on the map is Ulm, which is often mentioned on weather maps.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

13 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

I am wondering if there a magic water level number on the Danbue from Vilshofen thru Budapest.. that will keep us sailing and not make it a bus trip ?   I have been keeping my eye on the weather for this week .. and I see a chance of light rain every day .  20 % - 60 % .. so I guess we can hope that we won't have to keep packing and unpacking ..

I wish I had one for Austria and Hungary! In Germany we never will but Austria if I remember correctly and definitely Budapest closed the river last year at some point. But bear in mind that the situation last year was far worse than it is now. As I have indicated in a previous post to you starting the cruise in Vilshofen is in your favour as you definitely need not go through Pfelling.

Have a great time, Budapest is a delight. And before I get into trouble with G.M.T. - Passau is lovely, too.

notamermaid

45 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I wish I had one for Austria and Hungary! In Germany we never will but Austria if I remember correctly and definitely Budapest closed the river last year at some point. But bear in mind that the situation last year was far worse than it is now. As I have indicated in a previous post to you starting the cruise in Vilshofen is in your favour as you definitely need not go through Pfelling.

Have a great time, Budapest is a delight. And before I get into trouble with G.M.T. - Passau is lovely, too.

notamermaid

Thank You ..with only 24 hrs until we start our flight over to Europe .. We are sure getting excited ..  It will all be new to both of us 🙂.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

Passau was lovely before it became the Barcelona / Dubrovnik of the Danube. The Altstadt is dying, shops closing, people moving away. There are stories of tourists walking into people inner courtyards or even appartments (even using the toilets) and takeing pictures of everything.

Where will this end.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Passau was lovely before it became the Barcelona / Dubrovnik of the Danube. The Altstadt is dying, shops closing, people moving away. There are stories of tourists walking into people inner courtyards or even appartments (even using the toilets) and takeing pictures of everything.

Where will this end.

Eeek!! Sounds like it is on the way to turning into a kind of Disneyland.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

Where will this end.

37 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Eeek!! Sounds like it is on the way to turning into a kind of Disneyland.

notamermaid

Glad we opted for the optional Cesky Krumlow excursion- although I do love both Barcelona & Dubrovnik so don't understand the demise of Passau.

Sounds unpleasant for the locals in Passau.

We have been there a few times and enjoy quiet walks along the river as well as the charming old town and shopping area.

Invading and intrusive hoards of people would be hard to live with, particularly if they hard little value to the local community. 

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Onto something more joyous than the low water levels. When in Vienna you are likely to visit the palaces and the riding school and the cafés and ... Forget opulence, Klimt, horses and coffee for an hour or two. Here is my tip for an experience of a lifetime.

Which is in all likelihood the most famous hare in the art world? Albrecht Dürer's. Over 500 years old, the painting is a masterpiece of animal painting. If you happen to be in Vienna in the next few months you have the rare chance to see the original exhibited at the Albertina Museum: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20190917-albrecht-drer-the-painter-with-a-magical-touch

notamermaid

Thank you for this information! We will be in Vienna in December and this looks like an experience not to be missed. We also stop in Passau and promise not to be the “ugly tourist “. A few of the restaurants mentioned look wonderful! 

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Nuremberg to Budapest is a huge area! With little time this is the best map I have ready. There are some better ones. We need to exclude Nuremberg of course, being on the canal. This is from the French Wikipedia site: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Bassin-du-Danube.png

The red line to the left is marked as the canal, at its end you meet the Danube at Kelheim. A little West of the letter D of Danube on the map is Ulm, which is often mentioned on weather maps.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

Thank you notamermaid. I didn’t realize it was so obvious as it seems to be. 

18 hours ago, notamermaid said:

If you happen to be in Vienna in the next few months you have the rare chance to see the original exhibited at the Albertina Museum: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20190917-albrecht-drer-the-painter-with-a-magical-touch

notamermaid

Thanks from me too notamermaid, we will have a week in Vienna later this month and the Albertina is already on my list.  We will definitely try to see this too.

Pfelling gauge is relatively stable today. Currently at 270cm. Good rain cover of more or less the whole Danube in Germany. No rain tomorrow, with Friday a fair amount over the area.

It is getting colder. Snow will reach the lower Alps in Austria and a bit in Germany Wednesday to Thursday night at a height of 1000m to 1300m, but just be in the air without settling properly yet.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Currently on Viking Ve heading towards Koln, travelling A to B.

Advised this evening that currently water levels on critical section of Danube at 262cm, and need 290. However, rain in forecast so they will monitor situation until we reach a decision stage, likely in about 4 days.

Escaper

German Renunification Day toady (public holiday).

Our old friend (or should that be fiend) Pfelling is currently standing (actually flowing) at 282 cm.

Lots of rain over the last 12 hours, Pfelling is expected to rise above 300 cm by 12:00.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

German Renunification Day toady (public holiday).

Our old friend (or should that be fiend) Pfelling is currently standing (actually flowing) at 282 cm.

Lots of rain over the last 12 hours, Pfelling is expected to rise above 300 cm by 12:00.

Yep, just read that. Pfelling was behind expectations yesterday but is reacting better today. The promise of 300cm is in the air - and a bit more. I am a bit sceptical...

If it comes about: the forecast shows more rain spread well over the area - in varying amounts though - Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This should help.

Unfortunately, this also means it is cool and grey. Not yet the "Goldener Oktober" we would like. As they say "you can't have your cake and eat it".

notamermaid

22 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Yep, just read that. Pfelling was behind expectations yesterday but is reacting better today. The promise of 300cm is in the air - and a bit more. I am a bit sceptical...

I am also sceptical and the erratic predictions.

I think I know the reason for the ups and downs.

Germans now drink more than the Russians:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/01/russian-alcohol-consumption-down-40-since-2003-who

2 hours ago, dairymancruiser said:

Our cruise leaves on 12-27-19 out of Nuremberg and was wonder if they keep the Christmas lights and decorations up through out most of Europe until New Years Eve? Thanks

In Germany from my experience, yes. Apart from shops that start changing their displays from 27th December, no-one rushes out to get rid off the lights, etc. Christmas market stalls will be taken down very quickly after the markets close, but in general the towns I know still look festive. Churches need to keep the Nativity scenes anyway to "complete the story" till Epiphany, 6th January, the arrival of the Magi.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, dairymancruiser said:

Our cruise leaves on 12-27-19 out of Nuremberg and was wonder if they keep the Christmas lights and decorations up through out most of Europe until New Years Eve? Thanks

We were in Vienna last year Dec. 28 — market between Fine Arts and Natural History Museum was open. Arrived in Budapest Dec. 31 —market near cathedral was open. Lights still up most places.

5 hours ago, dairymancruiser said:

We travel to Europe with our high school teacher daughter and students/parents often during this time of year, leaving USA on 12/27. Christmas markets are gone for the most part except last year in  London Leicester Square, open until 1/6. Street decorations were up and trees were up in some restaurants and  public areas in Berlin as well, including Checkpoint Charlie. It snowed in Berlin last  Jan 2,3!  Great time to be there but cold! Brrrr!