Danube water levels 2019 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

15 hours ago, Coral said:

I sailed last year on November 20th (RT Vienna and we did not go to Budapest). The previous trip started there or visited there on the Mozart. I asked a few of them (I boarded early and they were still on the ship) if they were disappointed on how Crystal handled it and they said no - they then said "Crystal put us up at the Ritz". They were smiling.

That's pretty much what I would expect Crystal to do.  They really are a first class operation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

This is it: http://www.hydroinfo.hu/mobil/en/hydroinfo.php

notamermaid

Thank you notamermaid.  Having looked at this link, I think I have seen it before - quite likely provided by you at that time.  I am not sure if I am reading it correctly, but the spots that they list at the Shallow Section Information tab do not include some of the places in the Hydrological Data table that appear currently to have problematic water levels.

On 11/18/2019 at 3:02 AM, RDVIK2016 said:

Thank you notamermaid.  Having looked at this link, I think I have seen it before - quite likely provided by you at that time.  I am not sure if I am reading it correctly, but the spots that they list at the Shallow Section Information tab do not include some of the places in the Hydrological Data table that appear currently to have problematic water levels.

I did indeed link to it some months ago - could not find my post as quickly as Google found the website again. The shallow section part is definitely information different from the general, but that is as far as my understanding goes and I need to leave any interpretation to those sailing the river in Hungary.

One fact has come to light though. As past cruisers have spotted European companies with often shorter ships in Budapest when their own ship did not dock, there were issues with water levels in or around Budapest. A quick look at marinetraffic day before yesterday showed me all varieties of ships, so at least on that day it was not an issue anymore.

How this will continue for the rest of the season is difficult to say, as the river in Germany has been given different amounts of water from the river downstream. Austria has seen more rain in the last few days than Southern Germany. So let us have a look at Pfelling and the German Danube.

Pfelling gauge is staying nicely above 300cm albeit closer to that figure than last week. The level this lunchtime is 308cm. Looks alright and a big drop that gets it close to 290cm is not anticipated. Minimally falling levels are currently the most likely scenario.

The weather: it is cold but not very with frost in the hills at night, the valleys are a little milder. The weekend will see slightly warmer temperatures. Today little rain feeds the Danube in Germany with a bit more tomorrow. No rain is forecast for Friday to Sunday.

notamermaid

Hi all,

So I'm seeing posts about "shallow sections."  My concern will be the opposite, too high water levels.

We are on Scenic Crystal April 8th - 15 from Nuremberg to Budapest.

So what bridges or areas may pose a problem for us in April 2020?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Good question hernstro.

In April the problems can be everywhere and nowhere - and any scenario inbetween that. It all depends on snowmelt and rain. One place that can be tricky is the notorious bridge in Passau.

During flooding the authorities can close whole sections of the river.

When and where that will be can be a very short-term decision, meaning sailing in the morning and finding out at lunchtime that traffic will be suspended at 5pm is possible. The Danube (in Germany) is a little more unpredictable than the Rhine.

notamermaid

19 hours ago, hernstro said:

Hi all,

So I'm seeing posts about "shallow sections."  My concern will be the opposite, too high water levels.

We are on Scenic Crystal April 8th - 15 from Nuremberg to Budapest.

So what bridges or areas may pose a problem for us in April 2020?

Thanks for everyone's input.

No one can predict what the Danube levels will be next April.

The main low bridge on the Danube is the suspension bridge in Passau, when the Danube is running high then any level abobe 630 cm then the larger boats will not have enough clearance to pass under it.

Photo is from the last flood of the century in June 2013,m showing suspension bridge.

image.thumb.png.17b37c2bc515a3d5c8ac1fd5a9f1a1b4.png

Thanks G.M.T.,

That is the bridge I meant. 630cm the crucial figure indeed. Clearance for the four deck ships difficult, three deck ships like the smaller ones of CroisiEurope can manage - but will have to stop sailing latest when the authorities suspend shipping, if not before due to the bridge.

Danube June 2013 was indeed bad, the Rhine fared a bit better we just had bad flooding, not a flood of the century. Ours was in 1993.

Right now the Danube is more showing signs of low water still. The level at Pfelling is at 299cm and with the absence of rain in the forecast we could see it fall a little. A nervous 48 hours lie ahead but after that the coming rain should ease the situation again and our nerves.

My next 48 hours shall be busy with work but I will try and squeeze in a brief post.

notamermaid

Thanks for the replies. I will certainly be watching this topic as spring comes.  The information provided here is appreciated by many.

In Sept. 2018 on the Rhine, we missed one port due to low water. Our ship was lucky, as many others had major itinerary disruptions. We'll keep our fingers crossed that our April cruise will go without a hitch!

Brief update on Pfelling. The current level is 296cm. The most likely scenario in the forecast reflects the absence of rain, so 286 is the figure to expect tonight. However, the river is showing signs of keeping above that - for now.

notamermaid

After a brief drop below 290cm, Pfelling gauge is relatively stable at 294cm. And staying above the most likely scenario (what I hinted at yesterday). No rain before and very little on Tuesday for the Danube upstream from Vilshofen (Bavaria).

notamermaid

A thief with a sweet tooth

In Austria a truck driver tricked a company into giving him a literally truckload of chocolate: https://www.dw.com/en/austrian-thief-steals-20-tons-of-chocolate/a-51358297

I would hope as it is the time of year, that it is "stolen from the rich and given to the poor children", but something tells me that is wishful thinking.

notamermaid

What a gem you are, Notamermaid - so glad I found this topic!  We're doing a Scenic river cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg from Dec 9-16.  Can you look in your crystal ball and forsee what our chances are for a smooth uninterrupted cruise?  Thanks ever so much!

12 minutes ago, lpmpsail said:

What a gem you are, Notamermaid - so glad I found this topic!  We're doing a Scenic river cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg from Dec 9-16.  Can you look in your crystal ball and forsee what our chances are for a smooth uninterrupted cruise?  Thanks ever so much!

Hello lpmpsail,

the Crystal ball is rather hazy more than three days into the future, but the current forecast for next week shows rain all over the Danube valley in the second half of next week so that is a good sign. Crystal ball as murky as stagnant waters for the week after that.

Edit: Oh, and have a great cruise with lots of food and a bit of glühwein.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
sentence added

Pfelling gauge has now fallen below 290cm "in earnest". Consecutive figures showed it this morning and the river level is now at 285cm. For those relatively new to the subject: Pfelling in Bavaria is a good indicator for the river level both for commercial shipping and river cruising. At 290cm the large river cruise ships with the deepest drafts encounter problems sailing and we have had comments from past cruisers saying that their ship "scraped bottom" at around such a figure.

The forecast indicates a relative stagnation at this point in time...

notamermaid

14 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

The Christmas festivities have begun, with the visit to the first Christmas Market of the year.

The Danube level at Pfelling is like the white glühwein, both are going down.

20191124_153139.jpg

20191124_155558.jpg

White glühwein I have actually never tried. Tomorrow will give me the opportunity to see my first Christmas market of the year. As it will be during daytime I shall stick to food and a lighter beverage. What is the baguette with sausage called - if it has a name. They do not serve it near me.

Pfelling is going down, now at 280cm. The weather forecast shows light rain mostly for the Danube tributaries on Wednesday and good rainfall all over the valley on Thursday. Till Wednesday the most likely scenario is for Pfelling to fall a bit further.

notamermaid

The white glühwein is much lighter, not so much sugar, doesn't give you a headache.

The long sausage and baguette is called "halbe meter bratwurst" so 50 cm long, here every Christmas Market (even the smallest village) sell them, it's a tradition. The bratwurst is like a Nürnberger or Thüringer wurst.

https://www.haxenhaus.de/eng/menus/the-best-homemade-bratwurst/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

The white glühwein is much lighter, not so much sugar, doesn't give you a headache.

I did not know that, thanks!  After the second glass of the red, I always needed to drink a lot of water or the headaches would be there, never knew why.

Yesterday was wandering around Lisbon drinking some spiced wine, very good at 2.50E for around 12 ounces.

• Like 1

The level at Pfelling is staying low, currently at 280cm, up from a brief drop. Most likely scenario is for a level between 274cm and 270cm during the afternoon, with relative stagnation after that - till the rain forecast for tomorrow and Thursday shows its effect.

notamermaid

Just heard from someone on another forum who is cruising on Scenic from Budapest to Amsterdam.  Apparently they are stuck near Passau, and have been given the option to return home, stay on board and hope or continue by land.

They will certainly be hoping for rain.

Pfelling is now at 284 cm.

Should have had rain today, but no sign of it just very foggy.

The Passau Christmas Market opens today at 17:00 and continues until 23rd. December.

Here is a link (in English) to the Market.

http://passauer-christkindlmarkt.de/en/

PS. Anyone who is missing their ocean cruise can see Ice Carving / Sculpture in Passau on 3rd. December 17:00 to 19:00.

Enjoy your cruise or if at home happy a glühwein can be drunk anywhere at anytime.

2 hours ago, djh1959 said:

Just heard from someone on another forum who is cruising on Scenic from Budapest to Amsterdam.  Apparently they are stuck near Passau, and have been given the option to return home, stay on board and hope or continue by land.

Thank you for reporting. Stuck halfway on the journey. Would I wait or go home? A difficult decision. Being stuck in beautiful Passau, one can do worse. I would perhaps wait and if the ship cannot reach Amsterdam in time for my flight I would DIY a train journey across Germany. If you are sufficiently mobile it is easy to do.

Have a great Advent time.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, djh1959 said:

That sounds ominous for others cruising on that route now, and those expecting to follow.

It would be helpful to hear from others cruising on that route.

Can see many ships currently cruising on the Danube at present. 

21 minutes ago, pully8 said:

That sounds ominous for others cruising on that route now, and those expecting to follow.

It would be helpful to hear from others cruising on that route.

Can see many ships currently cruising on the Danube at present. 

Yes, Christmas market sailing season is in full swing. I wonder how Viking is doing, they also get problems/swap ships at this level.

@G.M.T. Thanks for reporting and the link. Would love to see Passau in winter, only know the town in Spring.

A slight in weather forecast in Bavaria perhaps if you have not got any rain yet? On the radar images I can see a band of cloud coming your way from the West. Overall volume of rain looks not much on the colour map for today but good amounts around Donaueschingen. Tomorrow rain oddly absent from the valley more or less exactly from Ulm to Vilshofen. Friday better.

notamermaid