Danube water levels 2019 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

20 hours ago, Bolshoi said:

We are on Scenic Amber Nuremberg - Budapest July 11 - 18.  Is the bridge in Passau likely to be a problem, and might there be other water level issues at that time?  TIA!

My crystal ball only reaches out for two weeks. Too early to say.

PS. As we are not allowed to advertise on CC, think I will have to rename the crystal ball. Any ideas?

Edited by G.M.T.

How about the Quartz Orb?

11 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

My crystal ball only reaches out for two weeks. Too early to say.

PS. As we are not allowed to advertise on CC, think I will have to rename the crystal ball. Any ideas?

I've just been inhaling chlorine fumes from cleaning out the shower stall, so my sense of humor may be impaired.  Is the 'advertising' reference to the Crystal cruise line?  If so, no problem – not a travel agency.  You could even say Magic 8 Ball(r) and it would be all right.  That would also give you a great answer for long-range weather questions:  "Reply hazy, try again."  :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

Enjoying golf? We have heard about the Etretat golf course on a Seine cruise in another thread. It is also possible to indulge in the sport on the Danube. Here is an article of British journalist on his (sponsored) cruise along the Danube: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/articles/golf-game-danube-cruise-europe-stunning-golf-courses/

The setting of the Vienna golf course certainly looks good, but cannot beat Etretat where you can hit the balls right into the sea - if you are bad at the game, like me. :classic_wink:

notamermaid

• Haha 1

Hi Notamermaid & GMT,

I am currently on the Sigyn. We are traveling from Linz to Krems. The weather is terrible The Danube is really high and the ship is creaking. I am grateful not to be in an “aquarium” class room. They are fully underwater. I hope this won’t impact our itinerary. More rain and thunderstorms in the forecast for tmw.

The River Inn is at fault from all the melting snow in the Alps, the Danube itsself is like a back water.

You should have stayed in Passau having great weather at the moment, you are following the bad weather or vice versa.

Have a great cruise.

26 minutes ago, denny girl said:

According to a travelling friend the Viking Gullveig was delayed in Regensburg because of a lock problem upstream today

Have not read anything about another lock problem (yet). But traffic was halted on the Danube yesterday as a barge had blocked the river at Straubing due to a technical fault. During the afternoon another ship was able to free the "Misandro". Traffic resumed soon after that: https://www.pnp.de/mobile/?cid=3361269

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Have not read anything about another lock problem (yet). But traffic was halted on the Danube yesterday as a barge had blocked the river at Straubing due to a technical fault. During the afternoon another ship was able to free the "Misandro". Traffic resumed soon after that: https://www.pnp.de/mobile/?cid=3361269

notamermaid

I guess you don't need the details, just the fact there is a delay 🙂

They were happy to have more time ashore

1 hour ago, denny girl said:

I guess you don't need the details, just the fact there is a delay 🙂

They were happy to have more time ashore

A minor thing then, with a positive effect for your friends. 🙂

notamermaid

Currently all stations in Bavaria and Austria show favourable levels (above the mean but far away from official flooding level). Looking at the forecast there is no flooding indicated for the next three days. I think most of the surplus water from the Inn must be past Vienna by now.

@Cairn Mom, thanks for reporting, how has your trip through Austria been?

Over to G.M.T., any news? Passau looks fine to me judging from the graph...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added something

22 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Currently all stations in Bavaria and Austria show favourable levels (above the mean but far away from official flooding level). Looking at the forecast there is no flooding indicated for the next three days. I think most of the surplus water from the Inn must be past Vienna by now.

@Cairn Mom, thanks for reporting, how has your trip through Austria been?

Over to G.M.T., any news? Passau looks fine to me judging from the graph...

notamermaid

No idea.

Currently on our way to Lake Garda (as Host Jazzbeau says) to take the waters. originally planned for a week, could be longer if the wine and pizzas are agreeable.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

No idea.

Currently on our way to Lake Garda (as Host Jazzbeau says) to take the waters. originally planned for a week, could be longer if the wine and pizzas are agreeable.

Aahh, Lake Garda (eyes drift into the distance reminiscing). Spent many a pleasant hours driving along (in a coach) and sipping lemonade at its shores when I was young (too young to drink wine).

Enjoy.

notamermaid

We had two evenings of heavy thunderstorms with extreme rain. Especially Thursday was more like my garden is floating away... Never had such an amount of rain. But again we´ve been lucky as the hail went down on the autobahn A8 just a little south east of us.

But those amounts of water were pretty local so they won´t add much to the river levels. Actually our local river Isar was starting to show the first gravel banks.

steamboats

Hi Notamermaid & all

Thanks a lot for the most up-to-date information.   We are leaving from Hong Kong to join the Danube river curise (from 30 June to 7 July heading to Budapest from Vilshofen).   What will be the water level as we have no idea of th weather ahead and are worrying if we may end up with bus tour?   

Any advice will be much appreciated.

MYHK

We boarded in Deggendorf on Thursday and are now in Vienna. No problems at all and the Captain says he doesn't expect any between here and Bucharest, where we disembark July 3.

• Like 2

Any news regarding the damaged lock? I originally read that it should be repaired and operational by the end of June at the latest but we just were notified by Emerald Waterways that our trip Amsterdam to Budapest, 7/12-26.  that was originally on The Sky is now on the Dawn. People on the Dawn are now switched to the Sky. I wonder if this has something to do with the lock accident since water levels are reported as satisfactory. Thank you in advance for any insight.

3 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

Any news regarding the damaged lock? I originally read that it should be repaired and operational by the end of June at the latest but we just were notified by Emerald Waterways that our trip Amsterdam to Budapest, 7/12-26.  that was originally on The Sky is now on the Dawn. People on the Dawn are now switched to the Sky. I wonder if this has something to do with the lock accident since water levels are reported as satisfactory. Thank you in advance for any insight.

The lock has been repaired and the ship backlog has been cleared.  Emerald may have ended up with those two ships on the 'wrong' sides of the lock and decided it would be easier on passengers to change the name of the ship rather than disrupt more cruises to get the ships back in position.  Sky is an identical sister to Dawn, so it shouldn't make any difference to your cruise.

My family and I are currently on the Danube with Viking right now. We started in Budapest on Saturday and heading to Nuremberg. Original ship was Egil but was switched to Gullveig (got an email a week prior to sailing about change). Was told last night that another ship (not sure if it’s a river cruise?) hit one of the locks down the river so we have to pack our bags and swap ships in Passau (on Wed) going back on our original ship Egil! Director says it will probably take another 2 weeks to fix and it sounds like it was the one that was damaged and just fixed in June. Water level has been fine for the last few days but the mosquitos have been fierce. I was out on the deck for 10 mins last night and got 7 bites (we were sailing too, not docked) with more mosquitos latching on. They are huge too. Bring bug spray if you plan on evening walks on the track! 

• Like 1

Thanks Arsesta! Packing mozzie spray as I type! We’re boarding the SS Maria Theresa on the 7th and cruising to Budapest. Hopefully said lock won’t interfere with our trip too much. Must be magnetic! Which ship did the damage this time?