Once you try Regent, you ever go back to Celebrity?

If you sail luxury lines ..... Crystal, Regent , Silversea or Seabourn you will get spoiled. Oceania and other premium plus cruise lines may or may not cause you to leave Celebrity. 

Many Celebrity customers try Oceania and like Oceania while others return to Celebrity.  

We we are pretty much luxury cruisers (Regent and Silversea) we have sailed on Celebrity and Oceania.   The benefits of having a suite on Celebrity was nice. The “suite only” dining and lounge compare favorably to luxury cruise lines. 

In my opinion,you can enjoy Crlebrity as well as luxury and premium plus cruise lines. 

We sailed on Regent 3 times before trying our first Celebrity cruise.  We did 2 cruises with Celebrity and then back to Regent for our most recent one and our next 2.  We chose the Celebrity cruises because they gave us the itineraries we wanted and Regent didn't. We did both in suite class and wouldn't even consider Celebrity in anything less than that. We approached the cruises with different expectations and so enjoy both experiences. 

Cruising Celebrity is far more work because i have to research and book all private tours while on Regent for the most part we have been happy with Regent shore excursions. 

We would cruise Celebrity again in suite class if it offered an itinerary that Regent didn't. To be honest by the time we add in all the included items on Regent, Celebrity is close to the same price so wouldn't chose them over Regent unless they offered something Regent didn't. 

• Like 1

I agree that Celebrity suite class affords an experience much like Regent, and perhaps even better in the larger Celebrity suites. One has to see lines (like into the MDR) but one need not wait in them, because suites have their own dining room. So the choice for us is based on itinerary and price. But we wouldn’t consider Celebrity in less than a higher level suite.

49 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I agree that Celebrity suite class affords an experience much like Regent, and perhaps even better in the larger Celebrity suites. One has to see lines (like into the MDR) but one need not wait in them, because suites have their own dining room. So the choice for us is based on itinerary and price. But we wouldn’t consider Celebrity in less than a higher level suite.

I personally would not say that Celebrity affords an experience much like Regent, however, Luminae (the restaurant for suite passengers) has food and service that compares well with luxury lines.  I cannot see myself dining in Luminae every night (we didn't do that - even on our 7 night cruise).  We wanted to experience other parts of the ship but many times found it too crowded and noisy.  The suite did not compare favorably to Regent and the butler was invisible (service in general was not great except in the areas that are for suite guests).  The worst part of the cruise was muster but since this isn't a thread comparing Regent to Celebrity, I'll stop there.

TC2,

I found our butler “more present:” on our Alaska cruise In a Celebrity Royal suite than on the Regent Mariner, when we were forced to upgrade to a concierge suite due to my wife’s temporary disability. But, we can all have our opinions based upon our own tastes. But we really enjoyed having a 900+ sq. ft. Interior REAL suite with a huge balcony. But I have read that the price for such Celebrity accommodations have been increasing greatly. When we took that Celebrity cruise, the price was comparable to the least expensive “suite” on the Mariner for a similar irinerarity. If that is true, Celebrity too will be off our list. And if we can’t find anything that is worth the price, we will just stay here and enjoy the Rocky Mountains. It won’t be that bad.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

TC2,

I found our butler “more present:” on our Alaska cruise In a Celebrity Royal suite than on the Regent Mariner, when we were forced to upgrade to a concierge suite due to my wife’s temporary disability. But, we can all have our opinions based upon our own tastes. But we really enjoyed having a 900+ sq. ft. Interior REAL suite with a huge balcony. But I have read that the price for such Celebrity accommodations have been increasing greatly. When we took that Celebrity cruise, the price was comparable to the least expensive “suite” on the Mariner for a similar irinerarity. If that is true, Celebrity too will be off our list. And if we can’t find anything that is worth the price, we will just stay here and enjoy the Rocky Mountains. It won’t be that bad.

You had a butler in a concierge suite?  That would be very unusual as they are typically in PH suites and above.  As I noted in my review of Celebrity on another board, when our butler showed up on the last day (presumably to get a tip), my DH had no idea who he was.

Thanks for the heads up about increasing prices on Celebrity.  While we are all booked up this year, we would consider another Celebrity cruise IF it were on the west coast and we could get a higher level suite on a newer ship (we were also in a Royal suite).  I suspect that your "Royal suite" was larger than ours as we were on an older ship (Infinity).  Celebrity's new ship (Edge) looks really nice.

We have done over 30 cruises, mostly on Royal Caribbean.  We completed our first Regent cruise on Mariner in Dec. (44 nights).  Am I spoiled?  Unquestionably!  But we are booked in March on Allure of the Seas (6,000 passengers) with friends.  So it'll be interesting to see how I feel.  Our feelings now is that RCCL is fine for a 7 night Caribbean with friends where you want to relax on the ship, party in the evenings, etc.  We did book an upper suite so it'll be a more exclusive experience.  So I'll say I'm certainly ruined by Regent for the "masses."  I do not want a lower cabin where I'm relegated to no suite lounge (thanks a lot Regent).  

So... we booked a July cruise with friends on RCCL for the British Isles.  We can't go due to family obligation, but I booked 29 nights on Regent Navigator from NYC to Dublin!  After our Mariner experience, I can confidently say I'm glad we're cancelling the RCCL cruise in lieu of the Regent cruise.  I want to do itinerary based cruises on Regent.  So I guess what I'm saying is, right now, depends on itinerary and expectations.  But I think I've definitely been spoiled beyond any hope of return.  😎

• Like 1

Just a note about RSSC Navigator: I’ve heard from my Regent advisor that this ship has a lot of aft vibrations. I have also read it from someone who has been on the ship. I don’t remember if the post was on Cruise Critic site...

• Like 1

Dolebludger posted:  "But I have read that the price for such Celebrity accommodations have been increasing greatly. When we took that Celebrity cruise, the price was comparable to the least expensive “suite” on the Mariner for a similar itinerary."

Rich - Despite the lamentations on the Celebrity CC board, there remain many cruises on X on which the Royal Suite is indeed more or less the same tariff (all benefits considered) as the standard cabins on Regent.  In our case, a trans-oceanic cruise in the Royal Suite on a lovely S-class ship will have a lower per diem than we would have paid on a similar trans-oceanic on Regent in a G cabin less than half the size of the Royal Suite, even though on X we will have the premium beverage package, unlimited specialty restaurant dining, laundry, and a number of other pleasant benefits.  Further, we will have a very large living/dining area, separate bedroom, and (priceless!!!) a separate half-bath.

We are not deluding ourselves that the experience will not be quite different from the small luxury ships to which we are accustomed.  Indeed, this X ship will have more than 3 times the number of pax as we experienced on the largest ship on which we've cruised, Crystal Symphony.   Nonetheless, we are looking forward to the trip, as we will be traveling with good friends to one of our favorite places in the world, and will have the occasion to try out a number of specialty restaurants (as well as the dedicated suite restaurant), and enjoy what we think will be a higher level (or at least a more "Las Vegas level") of entertainment.

Fortunately, we are also booked on Regent and Seabourn during the same general time period and, therefore, will be able to decompress from the mobs on Celebrity if we need to do so.    Frankly, it may well turn out that, like some of our other long-time Regent cruise buddies, X will present an interesting alternative from time to time.   I will, however, admit, that nothing about Edge or the Edge-ification of the older ships appears to be particularly appealing.

Cheers,            Fred

Freddie, 

We enjoyed our Alaska cruise on Celebrity as much as we have ever enjoyed a cruise, as to the onboard experience. We really liked the space in the royal suite. Indeed, we have even booked onboard a Celebrity cruise for 2020, but we can cancel if we don’t like the price. Yes, we saw the lines and crowds for non-suite guests, but we didn’t have to participate!  We also like MSC Yacht Club, where there is true separation from the non-suite ship. We have cruised Regent more times than I can count. We feel that the basic suites on the Mariner are too darned small. And the ones on the Explorer and new  Splendour are WAY TOO SMALL. The Navigator and the Voyager have annoying vibtation problems, so there is little left for us on Regent without blowing our kid’s inheritance!  So yeah, we will cruise Celebrity again, if they don’t price us out. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brownie11 said:

Just a note about RSSC Navigator: I’ve heard from my Regent advisor that this ship has a lot of aft vibrations. I have also read it from someone who has been on the ship. I don’t remember if the post was on Cruise Critic site...

Fortunately I am an avid reader of Cruise Critic.  Thanks to so many on here about the vibrations, I was able to book a cabin forward.  I must say, I am very appreciative of all the advise that everyone has.  When we left on our 44 night cruise on Mariner I was well prepared and had very reasonable expectations thanks to so many people here.  Y'all really made our cruise that much better!  

Edited by papaflamingo

I sailed Cunard, Carnival (forgive me), Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity.  Then I enjoyed 75+ nights on Radisson Seven Seas Cruises, which of course became Regent.  After which,  I sailed Celebrity again, Norwegian, and Celebrity again!  And going on Celebrity February 28th.

So yes, you can “go back”

On 1/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, ilikewhatisgood said:

Once you try Regent, Seabourn, Azamara, Crystal, Oceania, do you ever go back to Celebrity? Or should I expect the luxury cruise to make me never want to cruise Celebrity again?

I guess you will get your answer by asking this same question on all of these boards!

• Thanks 1

We are a bit different.  We have sailed Regent many times, Oceania, Silversea, Celebrity and NCL.  We have no interest whatsoever in sailing Azamara - mainly because of the ships that they use (old Renaissance ships).  

While I thought that we would never return to Celebrity or NCL, we are thinking of doing a NCL cruise (only 7 nights - could not take more) with our adult children.  Would have considered Celebrity but their suites are not in a separate area like the Haven on NCL (although I hear that Celebrity's newest ship has a separate area).  We simply do not want to be with thousands of people 24/7.

For us, however, we would only do a "real" cruise on a luxury cruise line.

• 4 weeks later...

So question? I am reading all the responses. So Do you think that one should not partake in a Regent cruise as a special occasion cruise for fear that another cruise will never be up to their caliber. Regent is quite a bit more money and not everyone can afford this luxury all but once. Just curious.

31 minutes ago, california and cruising said:

So question? I am reading all the responses. So Do you think that one should not partake in a Regent cruise as a special occasion cruise for fear that another cruise will never be up to their caliber. Regent is quite a bit more money and not everyone can afford this luxury all but once. Just curious.

I say go for it!  Special occasion means “do it up”.  As I said above, I “went back” and I still love cruising!

10 hours ago, california and cruising said:

FWIW, while looking at Regents fares compared to a more mainstream may raise your eyebrows, when it’s all said and done a Regent cruise isn’t that much more expensive.  Still more expensive, but the gap isn’t as large as you might think.

When you figure in all of the costs for another cruise like air, transfers, excursions, tips, drinks, specialty dining, etc. it really does narrow the gap.

I’ve been on Celebrity once.   I’ll never do another. 

At at this point I’m happy to alternate between Regent for us and Princess when traveling with friends and family who don’t want to pay Regent prices.  Some day I’ll branch out to Silversea for the expeditions to the Galapagos and Antarctica.  

For me it’s setting my expectations according.    I don’t pay Regent prices on Princess, but I don’t get the cabin, service, food, soda, coffee, and booze either.