Princess Cays question

TriumphGuy

Having never been to Princess Cays before, can someone tell me if there are lounge chairs available on the beach for passengers? Is it a giant free for all to get one? Princess has a Clamshell Rental in the excursions listing, clamshell for two with lounge chairs for $40. Worth it or not? 

Thanks.

We rented a clamshell for the day, enjoyed the shade but was very hot. We pulled up the back to encourage air flow and it helped. Not much shade available in the area unless you go back to food pavilion. There are a few palm trees which offer some mild shade; bottom line, we enjoyed the clamshell. 

I wouldn't bother with a clamshell.....They are hot and just big enough to put two chairs side by side and have to get into them by climbing in from the bottom.  Get off the ship early if you want chairs in the shade, as they are taken quickly, but as the day goes on, the sun shifts so the shade changes. When we were there last time I booked the clam shell and the water chair, waste of money on my part.  

• Like 2

My biggest issue is getting in and out of the water, its so uneven and one mis step and down you go.  For snorkelers I guess it's OK.  I booked the shell and chair through Princess, so we had to go way far to the left past the buffet building to find the place to get them, and then we were shown a shell by the wall, so I had to walk a good distance to the area where you could go into the water, past the area where the water toys were. And I couldn't even get into the water for fear of falling.  We called it a short day and went back to the ship.   I prefer Grand Turk over Princess Cays.

Oh and factor in how long your day is, if its a short stop...really don't bother

Many loungers are available but most in the intense sun on a sandy beach which reflects the sun very well.  The lounge chairs are free available to the first one that gets there.  The clam shells are small and solid construction so no air flow which an a hot Bermuda day can be stifling as already mentioned.  So the decision is yours as to what you want and what you are willing to pay.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, myfuzzy said:

My biggest issue is getting in and out of the water, its so uneven and one mis step and down you go.  For snorkelers I guess it's OK.  I booked the shell and chair through Princess, so we had to go way far to the left past the buffet building to find the place to get them, and then we were shown a shell by the wall, so I had to walk a good distance to the area where you could go into the water, past the area where the water toys were. And I couldn't even get into the water for fear of falling.  We called it a short day and went back to the ship.   I prefer Grand Turk over Princess Cays.

Oh and factor in how long your day is, if its a short stop...really 

Deleted wrong thread ..lol

Edited by Reader0108598

10 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

Having never been to Princess Cays before, can someone tell me if there are lounge chairs available on the beach for passengers? Is it a giant free for all to get one? Princess has a Clamshell Rental in the excursions listing, clamshell for two with lounge chairs for $40. Worth it or not? 

Thanks.

Lounge chairs are free and there are plenty of them. There are lots of palm trees, but getting one in the shade may be difficult if you arrive later in the morning. Suggest you show up at the tender ticket location early to be on one of the early tenders. It's one tender ticket/person. One person can not pick up tickets for the group.

Clam shells can be hot, with little air flow. When we were there last winter I noticed some where still available. So you can probably check it out first. Most are to the right over the bridge as you exit the tender.

Tip, bring water shoes. The entrance to the water is rocky with coral stones. 

Thank you all for the insight and tips. We'll probably skip the clamshells and try for the free loungers. DW and I are early morning types and would probably head back to the ship early afternoon anyway. Nap time, you know!

Thanks again.

We took the first tender over in the morning.  It was not initially full when ready to go.  We waited a couple minutes for it to fill up before departing, so it seems easy to get on the early tenders if you are ready to go when they tell you to be ready.

There are several wooden shade shelters over near where the lunch area.  There are 4 or 5 loungers under each of these shelters, with a little extra room to move your lounger as the sun moves along its course.  This area was fantastic.  Would do the same thing again if we go back.  And I didn't find it that difficult to get into the water.  And surprisingly, the snorkeling really wasn't too bad.  And the lunch was good too.  We really liked the day at PC.

Don

6 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Many loungers are available but most in the intense sun on a sandy beach which reflects the sun very well.  The lounge chairs are free available to the first one that gets there.  The clam shells are small and solid construction so no air flow which an a hot Bermuda day can be stifling as already mentioned.  So the decision is yours as to what you want and what you are willing to pay.  

Bermuda????????

34 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

We took the first tender over in the morning.  It was not initially full when ready to go.  We waited a couple minutes for it to fill up before departing, so it seems easy to get on the early tenders if you are ready to go when they tell you to be ready.

There are several wooden shade shelters over near where the lunch area.  There are 4 or 5 loungers under each of these shelters, with a little extra room to move your lounger as the sun moves along its course.  This area was fantastic.  Would do the same thing again if we go back.  And I didn't find it that difficult to get into the water.  And surprisingly, the snorkeling really wasn't too bad.  And the lunch was good too.  We really liked the day at PC.

Don

You will like this one— one time we didn’t get s clamshell so we got the early tender over to the island.we came across a few unoccupied loungers in the shelter— as we are making our way towards them (we are two seniors) here comes this young guy running past us and throws towels on every lounger right in front of us— looks st us and blatantly says— these are taken

We never rent a clam shell.  As others have said, they are hot and I feel crowded together.  We go early to P Cays, and leave before the lines get long to board a return tender.  Loungers can be moved to shade, and we've always been able to find a shady spot.  Our son rented a bungalow once, but I don't think it is worth the price.

I'd bring water shoes... There are a ton of sharp rocks on the beach adn in the water, and I had plenty of minor cuts and pricks on my feet, but when my 4 yo sliced his foot pretty badly on a sharp rock... he refused to go in the water for the rest of the cruise. Any water: shower, ocean, and pool. And Princess Cay was our first stop....

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I'd bring water shoes... There are a ton of sharp rocks on the beach adn in the water, and I had plenty of minor cuts and pricks on my feet, but when my 4 yo sliced his foot pretty badly on a sharp rock... he refused to go in the water for the rest of the cruise. Any water: shower, ocean, and pool. And Princess Cay was our first stop....

Unfortunately Princess Cays isn't noted for having the best sand in the water compared to the other cruise lines. It's been that way for years & I'm not sure if anything can be done about it other than wearing water shoes. :classic_unsure:

I personally wear my Crocks which give some protection.

I wouldn't waste your time renting a clamshell.

IMO they can get hot. Last time there was a huge log jam with the lack of staff that were getting them ready for each person.

We just sat there and watched the show. It was chaos.

There are plenty of loungers. If you try and head over in the first couple of tender groups there are plenty of choices.

We usually go left and grab a lounger under the palapa type structures that have about 8 or so loungers under them.

Great view and breezes.

33 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

The sand is crushed coral.  That is why it is so sharp. Water shoes definitely needed.  

I think P Cays is a fun beach day! 

Unless of course your feet need a good sand papering ... er, I mean exfoliation.

I never go to PC without renting a shell. It takes a lot to maintain my level of pasty whiteness! We have found that proping the back up lets the air flow, and we're in and out of the water all day anywhay.

Also, for PC, water shoes are a must.

I like the fact that my beverage package works on the island, we tend to go over to the quieter/rockier side by the food trucks.

Enjoy!

Deb