Tokyo?

Mtngirl2

Hello!  We will be on a cruise this summer beginning in Yokohama.  We would like to spend one day in Tokyo before the cruise.  We will be staying in Yokohama and plan to take a train into Tokyo for the day.  My other half is 83 and likes to take things slowly, but walks well and loves history.  His first time to Asia, but I have worked and lived in Asia and have been to Japan many times, but not that much to Tokyo.  What should we do for an enjoyable day in Tokyo?? Would love to hear your ideas!  Thanks!!!

Arrange for a volunteer goodwill guide who can meet you at an arranged place and walk at your desired pace, visiting places that you and the guide plan.  They are all english speaking volunteers and its a great experience to spend a day with a true local who is proud to show you his/her country.  We have had students, homemakers, retired people and even uni professors as goodwill guides.  They are in most cities around Japan but the important thing is to book as far ahead as possible.  There is a limited number of guides available.  We book as soon as available, some only allow a few weeks, others can be booked several months ahead.

https://www.japan.travel/en/plan/list-of-volunteer-guides/

I would strongly suggest visiting the emperial palace gardens, and the metropolitan government building where you can have a fantastic free view all over tokyo.

Edited by Tara Jane
  • Thanks 1