Celebrity check-in

MichLeBlanc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can always request Celebrity to mail your luggage tags to your home.  Each individual passenger gets about 5 tags or so, and the extra ones could be attached  onto your carry-on luggage.

If you use the printed out at home version, you will need to staple them on to your bags' handle, post flight (if applicable) either at the hotel, or at the pier.  The luggage tags that can be mailed to you are self adhesive.

I found the luggage tags mailed by Celebrity are the most convenient, and could save you a little bit of time at embarkation.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

If you carry on your own. No tags at all are needed. As mentioned. Even if you have no tags. The porter will put one on and mark your cabin number on it. So not to worry. 

Most cruisers do not carry-on all their own baggage for a few reasons.    If you carry all your luggage into the terminal it must be able to fit through the X-ray scanner which cannot handle larger pieces.  Checked luggage is scanned at a different facility with much larger scanning equipment.  When you board a Celebrity ship you will likely not be permitted to go to your cabin until after 1pm (it is sometimes closer to 2).  Meanwhile, you need to keep your luggage with you which is not fun if you have a lot of luggage.  Also be aware that on embarkation day, quite a few elevators are taken out of public service to be used for other purposes.  Just trying to use elevators when you have lots of luggage can be a pain...not to mention an issue with other cruisers trying to cram into crowded elevators.  Personally, we tend to use the steps on this busy day and I would not want to be climbing up 8 stories with more then simple carry-on.

Hank

I am always amazed on how much luggage and the size of the luggage people take. Even on a short 3 or 4 day cruise. We only take one suit case. Even if we are on a 12 day cruise. We have two suitcases that easily fit on the scanner for the x-ray. We can never figure out why two people, 3 or 4 suitcases, a carry on, back packs. Even my daughter when she cruises. She uses one suit case. She changes 3 times a day to different outfits to. 70 cruises now and never needed any more than two. By the way. Our luggage can be expanded. Never needed to use that feature. When a tux was required, many years ago. I carried that on also. Maybe we just have the packing them down to a science.

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I am always amazed on how much luggage and the size of the luggage people take. Even on a short 3 or 4 day cruise. We only take one suit case. Even if we are on a 12 day cruise. We have two suitcases that easily fit on the scanner for the x-ray. We can never figure out why two people, 3 or 4 suitcases, a carry on, back packs. Even my daughter when she cruises. She uses one suit case. She changes 3 times a day to different outfits to. 70 cruises now and never needed any more than two. By the way. Our luggage can be expanded. Never needed to use that feature. When a tux was required, many years ago. I carried that on also. Maybe we just have the packing them down to a science.

We resemble that remark :).  But seriously, DW and I are often in travel mode for 2 months and might take 1 or 2 cruises as part of a longer trip to places around the world.  We have also taken cruises over 2 months long.  We tend to pack heavy and will often have 2 large suitcases, sometimes a third smaller suitcase and a couple of overpacked backpacks.  We also have packing down to a science.  We scientifically pack everything :).  A big problem we have are climate changes.  Last year we took a cruise that started in Singapore (where it was hot) and eventually cruised through Alaska (where it was cold).  Next year we have a similar kind of trip that will begin in Southern Japan (where it will be spring weather) and eventually work its way North to Alaska.  So we need to pack everything from lightweight summer clothes to heavier stuff (including various layers)...not to mention hiking shoes.

Hank

I can certainly understand that when long cruises are taken. But short ones. We have done back to back going from one ship to another and have our clothes washed and pressed. Your situation is totally different from what I was referring to.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, twodaywonder said:

I can certainly understand that when long cruises are taken. But short ones. We have done back to back going from one ship to another and have our clothes washed and pressed. Your situation is totally different from what I was referring to.

I envy those that have mastered packing light.  It is just not in our DNA and does create problems.  Next year we have a 30 day cruise from Japan to Vancouver.  We will fly into Japan at least a week early and do some traveling (we do our own thing).  This means we have to carry our luggage to a few places in Japan including on and off trains and through streets to hotels.  That cruise is another of those climate challenged cruises that starts in relatively warm weather but then heads to Northern Japan (where it is still chilly) and over to Alaska (where it could be quite cold).  I am already working on a strategy for that trip including booking hotels in locations that are convenient to the train stations we will use.  If we could travel with a couple of backpacks it would be very nice.  But that "ain't" going to happen.  And to make matters worse that cruise line still has "formal" nights and we enjoy dressing-up.  That means lugging extra shows, appropriate clothes, etc.  ARGH!

DW has a great point of view.  She figures that if we fly Business Class (which is most likely) we can take 4 pieces of luggage weighing up to 70 pounds each....plus 2 carry-ons.   Monte Python could probably do a skit based on 2 Seniors making their way through crowded Shinjuku Station with over 300 pounds of luggage!  Obviously we will have to make some packing adjustments :).

Hank