Worried about Cabin

Flygirl333

Hello!  We just received our cabin number and I am a little concerned.  We are on Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Sea, Deck 2, Cabin 2000.  The cabin is the last cabin in the hall at the very front of the ship.  Is looks like it might be smaller than others and it also states that it has 1 Pullman bed.  Now my husband and I camp a lot and so we are use to smaller spaces but are we staying a dungeon ha ha?  I also say "concerned" but we also have a good attitude about it and so I am sure we will have some great laughs about the cabin but can anyone let us know what we are in for?

Thanks!  

Majesty of the Seas cabin 2000 is a Stateroom with Oceanview Picture Window. Cabin located in the Forward section of the ship. Stateroom 2000 features the following amenities:

• Stateroom has third Pullman bed available.
  • 24-Hour Room Service
  • In-Room Movies
  • In-Room Safe

Cabin Square Footage: 122 square feet.

Welcome to cruise critic! Well the truth of the matter is that Majesty is the second oldest ship in the RCI fleet (behind Empress) launched in 1992.  As such, she has some of the smallest staterooms in the fleet.  We have sailed on her twice in the early 90's and - at the time - she was the nicest and most innovative ship afloat.  But by today's standards that stateroom is small. But for a short 3-4 day cruise you will be fine.  The fact that there is a pullman bed only means that it can be folded out of the ceiling to allow a third passenger in the stateroom.  Otherwise you will not know that it is there and it will not interfere with the stateroom size or function. 

Being in the very front of the ship, you will experience the up and down motion the most, if that matters.  And you will hear the bow thrusters when docking and if tendering, the release and recovery of the anchors.

But don't let that stop you from enjoying you cruise.  Have a good time!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

BTW, by saying that you just received your stateroom number it sounds like you purchased a GTY fare stateroom that is assigned by the cruise line, or are part of a block of staterooms issued by a travel agency.  If you want to change to a different location and if issued as a GTY by RCI, you can contact whomever you booked with to see if another stateroom in that same category is available elsewhere on the ship.  If so you should be able to move at no charge.  You can also check with the TA if part of a block of staterooms to see if there is any change flexibility with them as well.  

Just an option....

• Like 1

122 sq. ft. is really tight....that square footage INCLUDES the bathroom space.  If you can handle the "tightness", it will be fine.  You will have 2 regular twins that are generally put together to for a much larger bed.  Not much floor space, but there are PLENTY of spaces throughout the ship to walk!

I looked at Majesty once and passed because of the room size; in other words, all the rooms are small.  We would have had a 3rd person in the room, our kiddo.   My husband and I would be okay in the space but a family would be very tight. Unless you upgraded to a suite it wouldn't matter much where the room is, as I believe that size is consistent across the whole ship.

While you might have machinery noise in that location when entering or leaving a port, you should have almost no loud fellow passengers, whether drunken party types or screaming kids, running past your door.

• Like 1

Depends on how long and often y'all are planning on being in your room. 122 square feet is kinda tight for a room. Short cruise, you will probably be spending most of the time out and about the ship. I wouldn't worry too much if you can't change rooms like @leaveitallbehind stated. If you can't change rooms, you'll be fine. 

Also, one trick I have heard of, is to have the steward separate the beds.  This puts all the free space in together in the middle.

The pullman could pull down from the ceiling or fold out of the wall.  But either way, unless you want to use it for storage space, it will be folded away and will not intrude.

OP

just  a hint because you are in an inside cabin, it will be great and very dark for sleeping.  Bring a small battery operated tea light (you can get packs of them at the dollar store) use this as a night light in the bathroom.  It will be easier to adjust your eyes instead of turning on the fluorescent lighting.  Just leave it  on all night its a nifty trick.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

OP

just  a hint because you are in an inside cabin, it will be great and very dark for sleeping.  Bring a small battery operated tea light (you can get packs of them at the dollar store) use this as a night light in the bathroom.  It will be easier to adjust your eyes instead of turning on the fluorescent lighting.  Just leave it  on all night its a nifty trick.

The stateroom they refer to - #2000 - is not an inside stateroom, it is an Ocean View  window / porthole stateroom.

We once had a cabin on the old Sun Viking..that was about 120 square feet with a port hole.  Because the cabin was so tight, RCCL (that is what is was called in those days) had a real double bed in the cabin (it was two small for two twins).  It was actually one of our favorite cabins.  Although this was over thirty years ago, DW still remembers how one of us had to sit on the bed (with our feet up on the bed) so the other one had enough room to unpack.  We started that cruise laughing about the cabin and that set the atmosphere for the remainder of the cruise....where we just laughed our way through everything and had a terrific time.  

When RCCL built the Sovereign Class ships (which includes the Majesty) the ships were truly viewed as amazing (primarily because they were the first ships with a large Centrum).  As was typical of many cruise ships in those days, the cabins were quite small...but did make efficient use of space.  Hard to believe that vessel is 27 years old!  Go on that old lady and have a great cruise :).

Hank

• Like 2

18 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The stateroom they refer to - #2000 - is not an inside stateroom, it is an Ocean View  window / porthole stateroom.

Even so, the tea light in the bathroom is a good idea.  We use it, and sail with a balcony.

• Like 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Sounds like you guys have great attitude...yup, just laugh it off...you can talk about it years from now on how small your first cabin was....hey, at least it's an "oceanview".

Agree with everyone, it is small...the good news: you won't spend much time in your cabin and you'll have at least some daylight coming in from the porthole.  You'll feel the motion of the ocean, you'll hear a few more things, and you'll have a bit of a walk...but hey, we had really small cabins when we were much younger (that's all we could afford) and laugh about it now.  Note: I remember sailing on the Vision of the Seas (a small ship compared to today's behemoths), inside cabin, deck 2, the cabin was so small...one side of our bed was against the wall! :classic_smile: