Tipping Flight Attendants (suggested by airline!)

GeezerCouple

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Actually, tipping has been allowed/encouraged at Frontier for the last three years.  However, in the past, any tips were pooled and shared with the entire cabin crew.  The new policy is that FAs get to keep the tips directly.

What are policies at other airlines?  I've never really seen this discussed.

Tipping discouraged? Encouraged?  Allowed/not? Pooled or not?

GC

Generally discouraged to prohibited when in cash.

I've been known to give out chocolates or Starbucks gift cards at times.  The chocolates from hotels or the cruise line are usually welcomed by crew and ticket/gate agents.   And since there's a Starbucks in almost every airport, they will get used.

A number of airlines have policies that crew can't eat food/candy given by passengers for security reasons.  Even on those, they will sometimes take the candy and save for later when off duty.  Or so they say - perhaps they toss it when I'm not looking.

We regularly gift chocolates to the cabin crew on our flights (even whilst traveling in business class.) They work their tushies off during flights, especially on international itineraries, and we feel it's a small gesture to let them know our appreciation.

That said, we are very careful to only purchase completely wrapped and sealed products so there is no question of compromise. On our last international flight from Dublin to the US, we gifted a very unique product, Puffin Poo, purchased from the Shetland Islands on a cruise. The package didn't make it 1 hour into to the flight before consumption (pilots included) 😉

For those curious about the Puffin Poo: https://www.shetlandfudge.co.uk/puffin-poo/

My understanding of this is that it's for when people PURCHASE food/drink on board, like tipping your server at a bar or restaurant -- it gives you an option to leave a tip on the tablet used to process the credit card payment. 

This is totally different than expecting every passenger on the plane to cough up a couple bucks in cash, IMO.  

Sorry but no way-no how.  We also fly business and yes the crew works hard, sort of, but having spent $$$ I don’t feel the need to tip.  As Americans, I feel we’re tip crazy, if people made a living wage this would be less encouraged.  Call me cheap but this is nuts.

• Like 2

Some additional anecdotes here from Frontier staff: 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/flight-attendants-respond-frontier-tipping-policy/ 

Salient point for me is that some FA's are under older contracts with Frontier - back before Frontier went no-frills. FA's hired since that business change have are subject to a different compensation structure. For the more recent hires, tips can make an appreciable difference to their bottom line. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, FlyerTalker said:

I've been known to give out chocolates or Starbucks gift cards at times.  The chocolates from hotels or the cruise line are usually welcomed by crew and ticket/gate agents.   And since there's a Starbucks in almost every airport, they will get used.

A number of airlines have policies that crew can't eat food/candy given by passengers for security reasons.  Even on those, they will sometimes take the candy and save for later when off duty.  Or so they say - perhaps they toss it when I'm not looking.

Airlines in Canada generally have rules against employees accepting tips.  I think that is the norm in most parts of the world. Odd move in the US market.

54 minutes ago, em-sk said:

Airlines in Canada generally have rules against employees accepting tips.  I think that is the norm in most parts of the world. Odd move in the US market.

I'll say it for you:  It's a TACKY move in the US market.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 1:38 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I've been known to give out chocolates or Starbucks gift cards at times.

What a wonderful idea. The Starbucks gift cards, that is.