Lido buffet and picky kids (Nieuw Amsterdam)?

AFJB

Hello, I’m looking into a family cruise to Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I was hoping someone could provide guidance on food choices at the Lido buffet, as I’d like to see whether it will work for one of my kids.  My son has sensory issues and prefers very simple food with few ingredients - for example, if he eats pasta it is plain or with cheese, no sauce or other ingredients mixed in.  I’ve looked at kids menus for the main dining room and can see that there are several items that will work for him, but I’m sure that on some nights we won’t feel like sitting through a formal dinner. Are there any basic picky eater-friendly menu items that are consistently served at the buffet?  For example, if there is a made to order pasta or sandwich station, that would work.  Thank you in advance!

7 minutes ago, AFJB said:

Hello, I’m looking into a family cruise to Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I was hoping someone could provide guidance on food choices at the Lido buffet, as I’d like to see whether it will work for one of my kids.  My son has sensory issues and prefers very simple food with few ingredients - for example, if he eats pasta it is plain or with cheese, no sauce or other ingredients mixed in.  I’ve looked at kids menus for the main dining room and can see that there are several items that will work for him, but I’m sure that on some nights we won’t feel like sitting through a formal dinner. Are there any basic picky eater-friendly menu items that are consistently served at the buffet?  For example, if there is a made to order pasta or sandwich station, that would work.  Thank you in advance!

Here is a link to typical menus in Alaska that include the Lido Market offerings:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-7-day-alaska-2017-menus

With the exception of lasagna, all pasta from the Pasta Station on the NA is made-to-order with whatever addtions you want to the sauce choices:

image.png.a0a8b2dd2f99eb1c7f932cfeff8dec32.png

Edited by Crew News

2 minutes ago, AFJB said:

Thank you so much!  I’ve been reading menus but did not see that the pasta is made to order - that will work great for us!

There are lots things available at breakfast such as cheeses, meats, breads, etc that you can take back to your stateroom to serve your picky eater later in the day.  Bring some Ziploc bags with you and fill them up with your sons favorites.

I am certain that the MDR can make a plate of noodles for your son at any evening meal since there already is 3-2-1 pasta on the kids menu.  Just tell you waiter to cancel the sauce.

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

There are lots things available at breakfast such as cheeses, meats, breads, etc that you can take back to your stateroom to serve your picky eater later in the day.  Bring some Ziploc bags with you and fill them up with your sons favorites.

I am certain that the MDR can make a plate of noodles for your son at any evening meal since there already is 3-2-1 pasta on the kids menu.  Just tell you waiter to cancel the sauce.

That is a great tip, thank you!!

6 minutes ago, AFJB said:

That is a great tip, thank you!!

Feel free to ask lots of questions on the HAL Forum or even on the Alaska Forum for specific questions on excursions, weather, clothing, etc.

Here is a link to my photo review of the NA to help you get oriented:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images

49 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Feel free to ask lots of questions on the HAL Forum or even on the Alaska Forum for specific questions on excursions, weather, clothing, etc.

Here is a link to my photo review of the NA to help you get oriented:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images

I will definitely come back with more questions, thank you!  

I have a super picky eater too. He did well every night at the main dining room with the roasted chicken, although towards the end of our last cruise he started getting adventuresome and trying some of the appetizers.  The pasta station is great. Breakfast was usually easy for us since they would make him a hard boiled egg (his preferred breakfast) in the main dining room.  My kids also liked the NY pizza and the Dive In for lunch. 

The one thing we struggled with in main room dining was "nothing can touch". The kitchen likes to make things look pretty. My son doesn't want his chicken resting on a bed of potatoes. 

The Lido Buffet may also have like a Kids Corner  menu— on our November cruise on Oosterdam it was posted above the pizza station. The menu contained kids food favorites not out in the buffet, that a crew member could get for you— PB&J, regular old style chicken nuggets, that kind of thing. It also had a separate breakfast menu. 

Our son liked the PB&J because the server cut the crusts off the bread! 

3 hours ago, TN Fem said:

The one thing we struggled with in main room dining was "nothing can touch". The kitchen likes to make things look pretty. My son doesn't want his chicken resting on a bed of potatoes. 

Your son is right on that score. I hate it when the food is just piled one thing on top of another.
I'm sure it saves them time in the galley, rather than arranging food properly, but it doesn't make it look 'pretty'. It makes it look like garbage after the plates have been scraped.

AFJB  - we have a grandson who has sensory issues too so we do understand the problem.  He's 5 yrs old and now in kindergarten.  He is also very picky about what he eats and only eats about a dozen different things.  Being in school now....he is finally watching what other kids are eating and is at least sampling the things they eat.  I honestly don't know how he is growing based on his diet. 

HAL does offer a great variety of foods and if there is something in particular that he likes you could make arrangements with them before you leave.  I wish you well on your cruise and hope he develops a taste for other foods.