Spinning?

doone

6 hours ago, doone said:

I read somewhere that there are spinning classes held on the KDam, has anyone done this, if so what was the cost and how many times were these classes held during your cruise?

Yes they have spinning and also they have a large pile of shoes for the bikes.  There is a fee for the classes but I don't know the cost for sure but as I recall it was in the $10 to $15 range and I think they hold one every sea day and maybe on port days.  As I recall they about 8 bikes.

12 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Yes they have spinning and also they have a large pile of shoes for the bikes.  There is a fee for the classes but I don't know the cost for sure but as I recall it was in the $10 to $15 range and I think they hold one every sea day and maybe on port days.  As I recall they about 8 bikes.

Great, thanks so much, will check it out onboard....... 

Really they charge to use a spin bike . We use  the other bikes to warm up & then the machines & free weights & they are all free to use . I can pump a recumbant bike pretty darn fast for about 20 minutes & I sweat doing that before I use machines & free weights for toning  & thickening bone mass .As we all age bone density is vital  to guard against falls 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Really they charge to use a spin bike . We use  the other bikes to warm up & then the machines & free weights & they are all free to use . I can pump a recumbant bike pretty darn fast for about 20 minutes & I sweat doing that before I use machines & free weights for toning  & thickening bone mass .As we all age bone density is vital  to guard against falls 

They charge for the class. Last I sailed you could use the bikes outside class for free (but there was no access to the special shoes).

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Really they charge to use a spin bike .

Just the classes.  On the Zuiderdam - which should be functionally the same as the Koningsdam, although possibly smaller -  we had 8 student bikes and 1 instructor bike. I took the photo below during the yoga class which met before spinning.

Other than when the spin classes were taking place, you could use the bikes until your quads burned or your legs fell off.*  Classes were at 8 AM almost every day. They're listed on the When & Where daily program as "Tour de Cycle" and cost $12 per class. There was a series discount which brought it down to $10, IIRC.

spin-bikes.jpg.8a32793d171e4809c715196d9d563b02.jpg

You can see the spin bikes lined up behind the "downward dog butts" in the photo above. During class, they'd move the bikes into the area where the yoga participants are in the photo. 

There was a sign up sheet in the gym and extra classes were offered. The extra classes aren't in the daily programs though.

* - If you spun until your legs actually did fall off, there was a nominal charge to retrieve your legs. It is recommended that you write your room number on your sweat socks to help with reunification. If you would like your legs delivered to your table, please note your dining time and table number.**.

** - If you are planning to dine in a specialty restaurant, please let your servers know so that your legs can be delivered to your table,

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, doone said:

I read somewhere that there are spinning classes held on the KDam, has anyone done this, if so what was the cost and how many times were these classes held during your cruise?

On Eurodam, they also call the spinning class "Tour de Cycle" and, like POE, it was $12 pp per class; good work out! The instructors were the two fitness dudes and the class was popular

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The charge of $12 pp is for the spinning class, led by instructors. Other than that, one if free to use the bikes as one pleases

Edited by Copper10-8

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Really they charge to use a spin bike .

Just the classes.  On the Zuiderdam - which should be functionally the same as the Koningsdam, although possibly smaller -  we had 8 student bikes and 1 instructor bike. I took the photo below during the yoga class which met before spinning.

Other than when the spin classes were taking place, you could use the bikes until your quads burned or your legs fell off.*  Classes were at 8 AM almost every day. They're listed on the When & Where daily program as "Tour de Cycle" and cost $12 per class. There was a series discount which brought it down to $10, IIRC.

spin-bikes.jpg.8a32793d171e4809c715196d9d563b02.jpg

You can see the spin bikes lined up behind the "downward dog butts" in the photo above. During class, they'd move the bikes into the area where the yoga participants are in the photo. 

There was a sign up sheet in the gym and extra classes were offered. The extra classes aren't in the daily programs though.

* - If you spun until your legs actually did fall off, there was a nominal charge to retrieve your legs. It is recommended that you write your room number on your sweat socks to help with reunification. If you would like your legs delivered to your table, please note your dining time and table number.**.

** - As a courtesy to your tablemates, please let them and your server know if you are expecting delivery of legs.

Edited by POA1

5 minutes ago, POA1 said:

** - As a courtesy to your tablemates, please let them and your server know if you are expecting delivery of legs.

It would be nice if they were on time (30 min increments) when they attempt the return and if the legs were not cold otherwise you would have to bring once of those digital cooking thermometers with you in order to get an accurate readout 

Thermapen-Mk4_Red.jpg?resizeid=6&resizeh=1000&resizew=1000

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

It would be nice if they were on time (30 min increments) when they attempt the return and if the legs were not cold otherwise you would have to bring once of those digital cooking thermometers with you in order to get an accurate readout 

Thermapen-Mk4_Red.jpg?resizeid=6&resizeh=1000&resizew=1000

Agreed. I almost posted that, but I wasn't sure which gender to use for the sweat socks. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, doone said:

According to my first sea day When & Where on the Konigsdam last month there were RYDE classes for $20 (if that is spinning".

30 minutes ago, Crew News said:

According to my first sea day When & Where on the Konigsdam last month there were RYDE classes for $20 (if that is spinning".

Ryde and Spinning are indoor copyright cycling programs given by instructors certified by their respective organizations. Spinning® is the original program, started over 20 years ago, but the name is used generically just as people refer to Kleenex when talking about tissues of any brand.

23 minutes ago, doone said:

This is all great info.  So did I understand that if we didn't sign up for the 8 am class, we could use the spin bikes for free later on, is that correct?

Yes. Unless there's a class, the bikes are open. (Wipe them down and all that common courtesy, but yes.) 

3 hours ago, doone said:

Perfect, thanks a million

You don't need to take a class in order to use the bikes. As long as there is no class in session, you should be able to use them.