Gran Turk

SlobMike

I dive all the time at the coast in Florida and have dove a few times during my cruises. I've heard from other divers here in Florida that Gran Turk is an awesome place to dive. My question, is that is it worth it. I've been reading that the reefs are getting destroyed by divers there. Seems like the only reputable dive shop there only books through your cruise excursion options. Any input would be appreciated.

Grand Turk has a fabulous WALL that is 7000'.  Divers can't really destroy it so don't know what they are referring to...must be some other destinations.

We did 2 dives there last May, with Oasis Divers, the op used by cruise lines.  Dives were fantastic...tons of life, eagle rays, sharks, turtles, as well as all the small stuff.  I have 2 videos:

When we go back, we will dive with them again...  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, trophy_23 said:

Great videos.  Is this shot with a gopro? Did you need any filters?

Thanks!  Yes, it is a GoPro5 with an underwater housing and red filter.  I use the underwater housing because the unit is listed as waterproof only down to 40-50' depth and as you know, diving you will most likely go deeper than that on any dive.  Better safe than sorry.  The red filter is by Polarpro and clips on an off as needed.  Really like the quality of this GoPro5, so much better than my old GoPro2 by far.  

We are off to the Caribbean in a couple weeks, I have a hero2 with dive housing and will play around with that, it does ok but certainly not as nice as the newer ones. We will only be snorkelling not diving so don’t think I’ll really need my filter.  I only have polar pro magenta which I use at home where we have really green water. Can’t even find find red filters for the hero2 any more.  I also picked up a proshot dive case so will try that with our iPhone 6 or 8.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Worth it? Yes, but I am biased. I think a lake is worth it just because it's underwater.

If you have your own gear take it, there are tons of small operators that can take you out in small boats to very nice spots with only a coupe of people. Years ago we checked on CC and the recommendation was to just get a cab and ask for "Meat". Took the risk and it turned out that not only did the cab driver immediately know who I meant and where he was, but two other couples from our ship ended up being his other customers. Made for a great trip. The only real warning I will give is to watch your depth. The water is super clear and it is easy to end up much deeper than you wanted to go.

• 2 months later...