Concierge Laundry Benefits

VAWCB

I have to say that while I am not allergic to fragrances, I really cannot abide them any more!  So I am sensitive to fragrances -- whether it's someone else's perfume or after shave, or laundry soap.

We've used the "free" service on the "O" ships several times and I didn't notice any extra aroma.  Likewise, when I use the self-service laundry equipment with the O-provided detergent, I haven't noticed "perfumes".

It sounds like you may just have been -- er -- "lucky".  I know you didn't consider it that way!  I wouldn't have either.

Mura

1 minute ago, Mura said:

I have to say that while I am not allergic to fragrances, I really cannot abide them any more!  So I am sensitive to fragrances -- whether it's someone else's perfume or after shave, or laundry soap.

We've used the "free" service on the "O" ships several times and I didn't notice any extra aroma.  Likewise, when I use the self-service laundry equipment with the O-provided detergent, I haven't noticed "perfumes".

It sounds like you may just have been -- er -- "lucky".  I know you didn't consider it that way!  I wouldn't have either.

Mura

Okay, we'll focus on "lucky" :classic_biggrin:

On a more serious note, it's definitely good to know that this seems to have been an anomaly, and not a new routine.

Thanks.

GC

• 3 weeks later...

A wait time more than a day is not good. 3 days is terrible. I hate doing laundry and love it when somebody does it for me. I use ship laundry services when they provide good service. Using ship laundry should cut down the amount of clothing that you pack.  My favorite cruise  includes free unlimited same day laundry service. Clothes are pressed and hung on hangers.  You can send out laundry everyday.  At the end of a cruise, I pack clean clothes that I unpack and put them away.  

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Which cruise line is that?

We are "Elite" on Princess and get complimentary unlimited same day laundry, out by 9am, returned that evening on hangers (underwear in a paper bag). Only having 3 bags on a 20-day Oceania cruise will be a challenge, lol. Now on Silversea, it requires 100 days or a large suite, but people in the normal suites (not the large owner's, grand suites) had free use of their laundry facilities (we did 3 loads on our Antarctica cruise).

7 minutes ago, cflutist said:

We are "Elite" on Princess and get complimentary unlimited same day laundry, out by 9am, returned that evening on hangers (underwear in a paper bag). 

We are Elite as well but my recollection is that the same day service required a charge; complimentary was next day. IIRC, there are two boxes on the bottom of the sheet - same day (for a fee) or next day (for free).

Either my memory is failing me or things have changed - will check next time we cruise Princess.

Just now, Paulchili said:

We are Elite as well but my recollection is that the same day service required a charge; complimentary was next day. IIRC, there are two boxes on the bottom of the sheet - same day (for a fee) or next day (for free).

Either my memory is failing me or things have changed - will check next time we cruise Princess.

Ok, I am getting old, lol. Same day is a full suite benefit, so you are correct.

Just now, Redtravel said:

A wait time more than a day is not good. 3 days is terrible. I hate doing laundry and love it when somebody does it for me. I use ship laundry services when they provide good service. Using ship laundry should cut down the amount of clothing that you pack. 

for the free  laundry they do tell you upfront it can be 3 days

You are free to pay for  same day service or use the laundry room

The few times we used the service our laundry was back in two days which was fine with us.  We planned for the wait and wouldn't have minded if it took 3 days.  I also am happy to do my own laundry!  Like some others here, I'm actually happier to do my own laundry -- even on vacation.

For the record we were in an OC each time.  I don't know that being in a higher suite really matters but of course it might.

Mura

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Which cruise line is that?

Windstar.    Any cruise 14 days or longer includes free same day service. Clothes are pressed on hangers. You can send out laundry any day of the cruise. It is nice when you board after traveling on land. It is also wonderful when you pack at the end of the cruise. I pack clean clothes. The best is unpacking clean clothes when you get home. On shorter cruises, I have bought unlimited laundry service. Cost was about $7/pp per day.  Best money spent on a cruise. 

I was very disappointed in O's laundry service. They returned the laundry folded but stuffed in a bag. Everything had to be ironed. Definitely a let down after HAL who returns things on hangers or neatly folded in a basket.

39 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Windstar.    Any cruise 14 days or longer includes free same day service.

As always, it’s a personal choice. I have never cruised on Windstar but I’ll take O’s 4 specialties plus their Terrace, La Reserve & Privee over free same day laundry.

I really don’t need to do laundry every day and when I need free laundry service,I can wait a couple of days for it to come back (or do it myself) but I really love my food on O and I don’t think I would get that variety (or perhaps even quality) on Windstar.

Coming home with clean clothes is not a priority for me - things would probably need to be ironed anyway.

Edited by Paulchili

5 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I was very disappointed in O's laundry service. They returned the laundry folded but stuffed in a bag. Everything had to be ironed. Definitely a let down after HAL who returns things on hangers or neatly folded in a basket.

That may be but how does HAL compare to Oceania overall in your opinion?

17 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

As always, it’s a personal choice. I have never cruised on Windstar but I’ll take O’s 4 specialties plus their Terrace, La Reserve & Privee over free same day laundry.

I really don’t need to do laundry every day and when I need free laundry service,I can wait a couple of days for it to come back (or do it myself) but I really love my food on O and I don’t think I would get that variety (or perhaps even quality) on Windstar.

Coming home with clean clothes is not a priority for me - things would probably need to be ironed anyway.

This is how we feel.

IF there is something like extra laundry (or faster laundry), for a modest price for whatever items need it, we can just pay.

But on other lines, if the food isn't as special (and we LOVE all of the O food, particularly the specialties)... well, we're "stuck on the ship..."

And likewise the overall ambiance and service.

GC

10 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That may be but how does HAL compare to Oceania overall in your opinion?

I loved Oceania overall!

The food and various dining options were so much better on O.

The lectures and the lecturers were outstanding. And the cooking classes were great fun. Even when HAL offered hands on cooking classes in the past they were no where near what is offered on O.

Service on both were comparable with the staff and crew on both lines meeting and usually exceeding expectations. However, our cabin attendant on O was probably the least friendly cruise ship employee I have ever encountered. I had no complaints on how clean our cabin was but she was very rude whenever we interacted with her. It was the first time I made a negative comment on a comment card.

To be fair, I never was on a cruise with so many sea days before. I really can't compare what HAL would offer on such a cruise. Our longest cruise with them was 20 days but we had 18 port days so we never have really chance to enjoy the ship like we did on this cruise with O.

We don't cruise often but I wouldn't hesitate to go on either line in the future. But if both were offering the same itinerary I would definitely choose Oceania.

On our last cruise on Sirena , the 'law' was undies off and washed by hand every day.

I saved one of our 'complementary' washes for near the end of the cruise ( things that we would not be wearing again). When it came back clean and neatly folded.........into the suitcase it went.......It really helped with the packing