No news on new expedition ships?

cruiseej

When Seabourn announced last July that it was building two new expedition ships, with the first slated to go into service in summer 2021, Seabourn said it would announce more design and service details for the new ships later in 2018, with details about itineraries and booking availability released in early 2019. Have I missed any follow-up to the initial announcement, or did the promised additional information not yet get released?

We're interested in planning an Antarctica trip, and are hoping to learn more about the new ship for a possible trip in late 2021/early 2022, versus going a year earlier on the Quest... or on another line. (We took our first trip on a Silverseas expedition ship this past summer in Greenland and enjoys the ship size and zodiac operations immensely, but we'd choose Seabourn over Silverseas if Seabourn's smaller ship is what I'd expect it to be.)

• 1 month later...

I got the mail today so if you're a Seabourn club member hopefully you'll see it too. Haven't yet found pricing, can't imagine we could afford it anyway given the usual cost of expedition trips, unfortunately. 

Got the email today. No itinerary or prices. Said call to find out more. Assuming they will do Antarctica as the hulls are reinforced for ice. There will also be submarines available. Sounds interesting. I called to get more information. Got disconnected once, and next time on hold for half an hour. 

I also received the email this morning, so I phoned Seabourn Australia for further information, (that wasn’t forthcoming) but they took a small deposit and made a booking for me, on the maiden voyage on a ship that has not yet been  built ! 

Weird:classic_blink:

7AF3354C-FDC1-4EDC-A737-06C6DD071CA1.jpeg

40 minutes ago, SKP946 said:

I also received the email this morning, so I phoned Seabourn Australia for further information, (that wasn’t forthcoming) but they took a small deposit and made a booking for me, on the maiden voyage on a ship that has not yet been  built ! 

Weird:classic_blink:

7AF3354C-FDC1-4EDC-A737-06C6DD071CA1.jpeg

So does this mean that you booked a cruise where you don’t know the itinerary or the price? How adventurous! 

1 hour ago, Sunprince said:

So does this mean that you booked a cruise where you don’t know the itinerary or the price? How adventurous! 

Adventurous, Couragous, or maybe just plain foolish😉

However, they did stress that it was refundable:classic_ninja:

was also asked my preference, Artic or Antarctic ?

We've done both, would prefer Galapagos.

Time will tell:classic_biggrin:

Edited by SKP946
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sunprince said:

Especially when you only stay overnight! Does it even leave the port? 🤣

• Like 1

The taking of a modest deposit for an unknown itinerary on a yet to be launched ship is quite normal, particularly for onboard bookings. 

We were onboard Seabourn Ovation a couple of weeks ago and expressed an interest in sailing to Antarctica on the new expedition ships in the first season.

In the absence of any further details the Cruise Consultant recorded our preference for location & dates, and took a deposit of £250 p/p.

This arrangement supposedly puts us on the priority list when the itineraries/prices are released, and secures the onboard booking discount.

If we decide not to go ahead we can transfer the deposit & onboard discount to another cruise within 4 years, or just get the full  deposit refunded.  

To me this arrangement is a 'no brainer' with little or no risk.  

They are still advising that more details of itineraries/prices will be known 'soon' - early 2019.   

Hi all: Today, I also decided  to take the polar plunge - the deposit that is. The more I read about "possible" Arctic expedition cruises, the "cooler" it sounds. I decided to forgo the Maiden and/or Inaugural trips. That said, I have also started to look at the designated builders (T. Mariotti, Damen and now Fincantieri) - if the potential design comes to be what I think (grown-up version of the SeaXplorer), the new ships will be truly unique. Now the wait (and counting pennies) begins.

We have also taken the plunge and put down AUD$400 as a priority booking holding deposit for the inaugural 2021 Antarctic Cruise - date, ship, itinerary, suite details, pricing - all unknown at this stage, but worth a small holding deposit to give us the opportunity to try these new expedition ships on a bucket list Antarctic cruise.   We were planning on  going on Quest and may still do so if she continues to undertake Antarctic itineraries after the expedition ships launch.   

Seabourn Australia advised me to expect contact from them around August this year with further details.    

As mentioned by others, fully refundable if we dont like the final details when released. 

It was interesting that only I received the Seabourn Club email re the new ships priority booking.   My wife, who is also Seabourn Gold, plus our two Seabourn Cruising friends (also Gold) did not receive the email.

I told them all it was because of my "good looks", and I was laughed out of town.  

I also received the mailing. The $400 deposit for an unknown future trip (for us it would also be Antarctica) is simply to secure a place in line to make an actual booking, right? How long does a cruise line give between releasing the itineraries to those on the special advance list and opening the itineraries to the public? Is this something where we'd have to make a very quick decision?

And this advance deposit doesn't secure any discount, like an onboard booking does, right? If so, I have another question about onboard bookings. We were on a Seabourn cruise last summer, and made an onboard booking deposit not attached to any cruise. Recently, we booked a cruise for this December, and they applied the onboard booking discount. If we end up booking an Antarctica cruise on one of the new ships for 2+ years from now, that will undoubtedly be a more expensive cruise. Would I be able ask them to unapply the onboard booking discount from our December 2019 cruise in order to apply it to the 2021 Antarctic cruise, and would that be the right strategy?

9 hours ago, cruiseej said:

. Would I be able ask them to unapply the onboard booking discount from our December 2019 cruise in order to apply it to the 2021 Antarctic cruise, and would that be the right strategy?

I don’t think that Seabourn would change the booking discount, but you can’t book a cruise that hasn’t been released yet (and the ship isn’t built)

However, you just prepay your onboard booking deposit when you are onboard this December. We were caught in this situation before we went to Antarctica, I always have 2 prepaid onboard deposits (each) now in case something comes up between cruises.

1 hour ago, wesport said:

With two new expedition ships, would Seabourn look for new itineraries, or possible lose a ship to another carnival brand or other brand? 

I'm hoping that the new ships lead to a 'proper' Antarctica/Falklands/S.Georgia itinerary, as per the likes of Silversea/Hapag Lloyd/Scenic (??).

At the moment Seabourn only do Antarctica and one of Falklands or S.Georgia, not both (and of course the 'bolt 'on' Patagonia which many people will have done on previous standard cruises).

The Antarctica/Falklands/S.Georgia is most sought after by Brits due to the Ernest Shackleton connection, and of course the Falklands conflict in 1982.

I've fallen out of love with Silversea so my fingers are crossed for the Seabourn Expedition ship itineraries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

The current Seabourn itineraries give you the Chilean Fjords, Antarctica and South Georgia or just one day in the Falklands.  They don't include the Falklands and South Georgia.  As someone who once spent four days in the Falklands on an expedition ship, I'd never consider Seabourn's half-hearted effort there.  However, I did do the South Georgia version and was glad I did. 

It will be interesting to see if Seabourn offers an Ushuaia-Antarctica-South Georgia-Falklands-Ushuaia itinerary on the new ships.

PS: Shackleton isn't the only reason why Brits visit SG.   

Edited by Fletcher

11 hours ago, Fletcher said:

PS: Shackleton isn't the only reason why Brits visit SG.

I don't think I was suggesting it was (certainly it wasn't my intent) however the itinerary I suggest does of course embrace the highlights of Shackleton's ill fated Endurance expedition, including the 'abandon ship' on Elephant Island Antarctica and the 800 mile row across to South Georgia to seek help & rescue. I know that this, coupled with the 1982 Falklands interest, and of course the tremendous wildlife on South Georgia makes this a 'must do' for me at least !

I envy your visit to South Georgia. When speaking with some expedition staff on ships they often cite South Georgia as their favourite place on earth !   My fingers are crossed that Seabourn do the itinerary we both mention - as I have very much fallen out of love with Silversea !         

3 hours ago, machotspur said:

My fingers are crossed that Seabourn do the itinerary we both mention - as I have very much fallen out of love with Silversea !         

I'd be keen to know why Silversea has fallen out of favour with you.  I much prefer Seabourn, though Silversea currently have the better itineraries and a wider choice of ships.  I prefer Seabourn's general style (especially Seabourn Square)  and the passengers to the Silversea experience ( I was on Silver Galapagos last month and the crowd was simply awful) and I positively loathe the 'Hot Rocks' dining thing on Silversea.  

South Georgia was the absolute highlight of our Antarctica trip on the Quest.  I'd go back anytime but probably not to the Peninsula.  We did the traditional British thing and took a miniature bottle of Scotch which we drank by Shackleton's grave.  

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I'd be keen to know why Silversea has fallen out of favour with you.  I much prefer Seabourn, though Silversea currently have the better itineraries and a wider choice of ships.  I prefer Seabourn's general style (especially Seabourn Square) ...

In short we felt that having taken 6-7 Silversea cruises, across all styles of ship, that they have ceased to be a 'luxury' product.

This was evident to us on -

- the age and poor maintenance/updating of most the ships. 

- the quality and appeal of most of the food & drink  (yes I agree - Hot Rocks to me is appalling, but many US guests appear to love it).

- and the attitude - both on land and the ships we increasingly didn't feel valued as customers - hence we walked !!

We returned from a cruise on Seabourn Ovation a couple of weeks ago - the first with them for a few years - and very much enjoyed it - on a completely different level to Silversea in our opinion (and according to our TA we are certainly not alone in this comparison).

I do hope that Seabourn improve their expedition itineraries with the new ships - particularly with regard to the South Atlantic. As you say Silversea does offer interesting itineraries. 

The other company that have some fantastic itineraries is Hapag Lloyd with their new expedition ships. We were very interested in their Amazon cruise, which goes way down the river to Iquitos, and also an itinerary cruising all of the N.American Great Lakes which looks tremendous. Of course the NW Passage itinerary is of great appeal.  Regrettably we decided that the Hapag Lloyd product wasn't for us, hence we continue to wait for Seabourn to announce their proposals.  

So I do hope that Seabourn take note - there is a gap in the market for some 'different' expedition itineraries methinks.     

2 minutes ago, machotspur said:

The other company that have some fantastic itineraries is Hapag Lloyd with their new expedition ships.

Totally agree with you about Hapag-Lloyd.   I've been eyeing up a cruise on Hanseatic Nature in October 2020 which sails from Taiwan to Fiji via Palau, FSM, Marshall Island, Kiribati and Tuvalu.  That's an absolute dream itinerary for us - we are South Pacific addicts.  However, I believe that this expedition cruise does not include any excursions which seems nuts to me.  Also you pay extra for everything you drink.

Ponant also have fabulous itineraries - I like one that sails from Barbados to the Venezuelan Orinoco, Surinam and French Guiana.  

My other 'bucket list' cruise would be one that calls in at Cap Haitien and visits the amazing-looking citadel.   

Speaking of itineraries, interesting or less so, I am disappointed that Seabourn cannot seem to compete with other luxury lines that have no problem announcing their voyages two years or more out. Right now there is only one itinerary on one of Seabourn’s existing 6 ships in November, 2020, while a few other lines including Silversea, Crystal and Cunard have plenty of choice on offer including world cruises starting January, 2021. These cruises can often book up fast; I notice one of Silverseas’ world cruises for 2021 is already sold out!

Seabourn is always behind its competition in this regard. My TA has no answer and so I have recently contacted Guest Relations. No response yet.

As Seabourn seems to have its hands full and cannot seem to release itineraries past October, 2020 (apart from the one mentioned above), I doubt we will see much about these 2 planned expedition ships for a long time, and that presumes the ships’ deliveries will be on time for Seabourn. I wish it were otherwise...

Happy and healthy sailing!