Viking Sky Tromso

game misconduct

was there this year for midnight sun and pretty sure any cruise docks in the same place .... there are not multiple piers for cruise ships in Tromso .... unless I'm mistaken ....  but as a former ship Captain I kinda know what I'm looking at .....

Use Google earth and look at Tromso ... and you'll see a cruise ship.  TaDa

if I'm wrong, I owe you one frosted donut.

tromso pier.jpg

walking distance to Mack microbrewery in their old building ...

IMG_0995.JPG

Edited by Capt_BJ

Here's the port website for Tromso: https://www.tromso.havn.no/en/traffic/traffic-overview/

It lists what cruise ships are visiting, and I believe which quay ("kai").  I think there's a map, too, so you can figure out where the assigned "kai" is.  Check out the webcam, too - snow?  When we were there a year ago, we docked in that area that BJ has highlighted with an arrow.  It was quite convenient for walking around a bit, assuming you're mobile.  There was also an information center across from the dock, which was nice.  I walked up to the bridge and over the bridge to the Arctic Cathedral - a bit of a hike, but doable.  (I'm 67, average weight and health). 

I see Viking Sky listed for a couple dates in February, assigned to kai 8, which is mid-way on the waterfront.  (Remember that in Europe, usually the day is listed first, then the month, so 11/2/2019 will be Feb. 11).

Enjoy Sky.  We just got off her last weekend.  Loved our cruise.  If Juan is your cabin steward and Mark his assistant (room 4093 and around) please say hello from the previous occupants who who always wanted ice in their ice bucket!

Edited by roothy123

On 1/12/2019 at 4:59 PM, Capt_BJ said:

was there this year for midnight sun and pretty sure any cruise docks in the same place .... there are not multiple piers for cruise ships in Tromso .... unless I'm mistaken ....  but as a former ship Captain I kinda know what I'm looking at .....

Use Google earth and look at Tromso ... and you'll see a cruise ship.  TaDa

if I'm wrong, I owe you one frosted donut.

walking distance to Mack microbrewery in their old building ...

We were there on the Star this summer (I think it was the Sky that was also there the same day).  While the Sky got the central location, like another poster said, we were at Kai 8 (near the botanical gardens) and needed to take the free shuttle into town.

We were there on the Star this summer (I think it was the Sky that was also there the same day).  While the Sky got the central location, like another poster said, we were at Kai 8 (near the botanical gardens) and needed to take the free shuttle into town.

From the port website link above, it looks like Kai 8 is right in the center of town. Kai 24,25 are probably the ones farther north by the botanical gardens.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Then again, it is winter and that may present weather related problems that "Midnight Sun" would not encounter. In any case, no matter what it says on the port website for quai, it is subject to change and upon arrival, the captain is gonna park the boat where the harbor master tells him to park it.

Roothy, was it only a week ago??? Seems like forever.

9 hours ago, just_dont said:

From the port website link above, it looks like Kai 8 is right in the center of town. Kai 24,25 are probably the ones farther north by the botanical gardens.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Erg...you are correct - I got the numbers reversed.  Either way, the Star was not in town.  Maybe  I need another cruise to refresh my memory 🙂