Cruise Critic Community
pamrose228

Le Harve to Paris Shore Excursion

Going on the NCL Pearl in April with be in Le Harve on VE day 5/8 from 6:30 am to 7 pm.

Is it possible to do some some Paris in this day?

Any suggestions for a reliable tour guide, trying to get a van together of 12 or so other pax.   With a 5 hour drive back and fourth that will give us approx      5 hours plus to tour.

Thanks in advance.

Pam

I love to rent cars in ports and have done so all over the world.  In fact, we've got one reserved for next October in Le Havre.  But, I'm not sure I would attempt Paris on this itinerary.  First, to my knowledge, the earliest any of the rental car agencies open is 8:00, which would put you close to 8:30 getting on the road.  That gets you into Paris around 11:00 AM, if it takes 2 1/2 hours as you say.  The rental car agency closes at 6:30, which is also your "all aboard" time.  I'd be heading back from Paris no later than 3:00 PM to give yourself some pad in case of traffic or a flat tire or some other problem.  That leaves you with only 4 hours in Paris.  So, no time to eat and very little time to even stop and tour a site.  I did Paris once in 6 hours, which gave me enough time to walk through Notre Dame, walk by the Louvre, eat lunch, and climb the Eiffel Tower.  You'll have to decide if 4 hours is worth the 5 hours of driving.

If Le Havre is the last port before the end of the cruise, it may be worth arranging to leave the ship there and fly home from Paris. Many people do this, but you need to check that the cruise line is okay with it.

Have you done the DDay beaches? That will be well worth the time if you have not...... If you air is not booked, you might take the chunnel from England to Paris before or after your trip and do Paris then......otherwise the train might be a quicker option for a few hours in Paris.   ENJOY!

On 1/14/2019 at 6:00 AM, Bob++ said:

If Le Havre is the last port before the end of the cruise, it may be worth arranging to leave the ship there and fly home from Paris. Many people do this, but you need to check that the cruise line is okay with it.

Two ports after Le havre, Belgium and Amsterdan.

I vote for making Tilbury an over night.  West End shows, etc. It the port next to Le havre

Two cautions , t's a long way your 2 to 3 hours is if all goes well, very little time to see much .Traffic can be heavy on the routes into Paris, so to give yourself enough time to return to the ship, you will reduce sightseeing time. Secondly VE day in France is a holiday so many locations will not open as normal, routes could be much busier than usual and this could disrupt the day.

I did an NCL excursion last year to Paris from Le Havre. We had time for a tour around the city and an excellent lunch cruise on the Seine. It was a great day and we didn't have to worry about getting back in time at the end of the day.

9 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Two cautions , t's a long way your 2 to 3 hours is if all goes well, very little time to see much .Traffic can be heavy on the routes into Paris, so to give yourself enough time to return to the ship, you will reduce sightseeing time. Secondly VE day in France is a holiday so many locations will not open as normal, routes could be much busier than usual and this could disrupt the day.

Victory in Europe Day is celebrated all over Europe. In France, it is a day of celebration and remembrance with church services, ceremonies and parades. French flags fly from the tops of poles everywhere and the air force thunders overhead in dramatic flyovers. Wreaths are laid during the ceremonies at monument aux morts in each village, town and city.

Being a national holiday, schools, post offices, banks, businesses, shops and many restaurants are closed. The streets are full of people attending parades and the red, white and blue of the French flag is everywhere.

https://publicholidays.fr/victory-day/

Edited by Bob++

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, Bob++ said:

Victory in Europe Day is celebrated all over Europe. In France, it is a day of celebration and remembrance with church services, ceremonies and parades. French flags fly from the tops of poles everywhere and the air force thunders overhead in dramatic flyovers. Wreaths are laid during the ceremonies at monument aux morts in each village, town and city.

Being a national holiday, schools, post offices, banks, businesses, shops and many restaurants are closed. The streets are full of people attending parades and the red, white and blue of the French flag is everywhere.

https://publicholidays.fr/victory-day/

Thanks for posting this. I just realized the Getaway is docked in Le Havre that same day as the Pearl. Guess I'll have to rethink my shopping day. It will be fun to join the celebration though!

If the shops and restaurants etc closer to Le Havre may be closed, maybe the bus trip with lunch cruise on the Seine is not such a bad idea!  Though it certainly would be a tease to see such a tiny glimpse of the city.

I personally would not take a chance of missing my ship's departure with such a long drive on my own, too many things could go wrong.  I feel safer taking a ship tour when it's a location so far from the port.  I've seen people left standing on the pier.... 

4 hours ago, snowcamper said:

If the shops and restaurants etc closer to Le Havre may be closed, maybe the bus trip with lunch cruise on the Seine is not such a bad idea!  Though it certainly would be a tease to see such a tiny glimpse of the city.

I personally would not take a chance of missing my ship's departure with such a long drive on my own, too many things could go wrong.  I feel safer taking a ship tour when it's a location so far from the port.  I've seen people left standing on the pier.... 

The seine cruise was a bit of a tease but we saw all the main sites around the city, then the River tour and an excellent lunch with multiple bottles of wine. It was a fun day.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, pamrose228 said:

Two ports after Le havre, Belgium and Amsterdan.

You could take the train from Amsterdam to Paris for a few days in the city if time allows.

I just booked my cruise on the new Mardi Gras and one of the ports will be Le Havre I looked at private tours from the port to Paris and one stood out since you will be leaving before I will you could tell me about your experience. The name of the Co. 

DRIVER GUIDE FRANCE PRIVATE TOURS 

When we were in Le Havre in 2017, we were there on Bastille Day, so another holiday for the country. We talked with some people at dinner who went to Paris for the day and they were disappointed. It was a lot to tackle in the one day. A lot of time spent traveling for sure.

We did the Overlord tours to Omaha Beach and Bayeux ourselves, as that was a bucket list trip for me! It was an amazing day, great tour, great guide, etc... Just loved the whole day. And it was relaxing, not rushed. We could have stayed out just a little longer, but our guide was concerned about traffic because of the holiday. He told us a lot of people head towards the coast area for the holiday too. But it was a great tour!

When we rented a car in Le Havre we ran into an unexpected farmers’s protest shortly after leaving the city.  Several dozen tractors and farms vehicles had arranged themselves bumper to bumper in all the freeway lanes, making a blockade.  They were travelling at tractor speed.

We exited at the next opportunity and fell back on Plan B, lunch in Caen and a drive back along the coast on secondary roads - one gorgeous old village after another all the way to le Havre ( pronounced Le Av).

Have a Plan B if you try your excursion.