NYC Hotels

CruisingFox27

We will be sailing out of Manhattan with MSC on 18th November and looking for an inexpensive hotel but no shared bathroom and with an elevator, close to the port, any recommendations? We'd plan to get a taxi to the port.

After our cruise we are looking to stay in NYC for 5 days to visit the sights, we've never been before so that will be the top tourist sights! We are uncertain which area would be the best, we've looked at Midtown but all accommodation is premium price, is there any other areas that are suitable? Is Upper East or Lower Manhattan feasible?We've happily stayed on the outskirts of cities where public transport is inexpensive and easy to use previously, providing there are cafes and restaurants etc. We usually like to balance the cost v distance to maximise our stay.

We'll not know the airport we'll fly into for a few months yet.

It would be hotel room for 2 people pre cruise 1 night near to the port or an area which we can conveniently access the port via cab. It is literally to just sleep the night before so we're not looking for anything luxurious.

5 nights post cruise. We've narrowed accommodation locations to Midtown, Hell's Kitchen, East Village and Kips. It's the suitability of each area we're uncertain on.

53 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We'll not know the airport we'll fly into for a few months yet.

It would be hotel room for 2 people pre cruise 1 night near to the port or an area which we can conveniently access the port via cab. It is literally to just sleep the night before so we're not looking for anything luxurious.

5 nights post cruise. We've narrowed accommodation locations to Midtown, Hell's Kitchen, East Village and Kips. It's the suitability of each area we're uncertain on.

What is your budget range?  Midtown and Hell’s Kitchen would be better than the East Village and Kips Bay.  The downtown financial district might work because of the good subway connections.

For Oct 17 I’m seeing a Holiday Inn for $184 plus tax cancellable.

Holiday Inn Express : Manhattan Times Square South

60 West 36th StreetNew YorkNew York 10018

IMO it’s not critical to be close to the port.  Those hotels are running $300+.  The Holiday Inn would be a short cab ride.  I’d book a cancellable reservation now as a placeholder.

Edited by 138east

Thanks 138. All of the apartments we've found for the post cruise stay are around $1000 - $1200 for 5 nights. We'd discounted downtown/financial district as we'd read the area wouldn't have bars and restaurants open nearby in the evening.

Sadly, the HIE has no availability on my UK hotel sites on 17/10/19. I have The Chelsea Savoy, Times Square offering a single room for 2 people with a double bed for $150, is that normal? Is that because it's one bed? Or Feather Factory, LIC for $160.

Edited by CruisingFox27

Apartments are a bad idea in NYC.  Airbnb is 99.9% illegal in Manhattan (same with VRBO or all other similar), and also difficult to find legal options in the nearby parts of Queens and Brooklyn.  Many of those listings are also scams, so stay far away.

Downtown and FIDI have plenty of restaurants and bars open in the evening.  We always stay in TriBeCa on our many annual trips to NYC and rarely head north to eat, always south in TriBeCa and the FiDI

10 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Thanks 138. All of the apartments we've found for the post cruise stay are around $1000 - $1200 for 5 nights. We'd discounted downtown/financial district as we'd read the area wouldn't have bars and restaurants open nearby in the evening.

Sadly, the HIE has no availability on my UK hotel sites on 17/10/19. I have The Chelsea Savoy, Times Square offering a single room for 2 people with a double bed for $150, is that normal? Is that because it's one bed? Or Feather Factory, LIC for $160.

There are plenty of bars and restaurants in lower Manhattan.  Not familiar with the Chelsea Savoy, but reviews are good on Trip Advisor.  Forget Long Island City, which is in Queens.  No one is going to tell you to do an air bnb in NYC - too many legal issues and bad stories.  A double bed in the US is 53 x 80 inches.  It’s also known as a full size bed.

57 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Many thanks. 

Very confusing for us in the UK where a single bed is just for a single person. Even veggie the cruise I very much doubt we'd both fit in! 

Check out this site for US bed sizes.  https://www.us-mattress.com/mattress-size-information.html

Times change.  My parents had a double for many years.  My husband and I have a King.  The minimum we will get is a queen, but will always take 2 twins over a queen when traveling.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Many thanks. 

Very confusing for us in the UK where a single bed is just for a single person. Even veggie the cruise I very much doubt we'd both fit in! 

NYC hotel hotel rooms are similar in size to UK rooms. Finding those that comfortably sleep 4 can be a challenge.

On 1/13/2019 at 6:53 PM, arl_nocaps said:

The Michelangelo has big rooms --good location but $342.00 with all taxes --cancellable - not much for less -

We have it booked precruise - 

arl_nocaps

We love the Michelangelo hotel we book it every year for last decade , perfect location and service , smallest room is over 400 sq ft , we normally get king suite weis on the high end but a amazing suite. 

When using the HIE give yourself some extra time for the elevators, I believe it is something  like 35 stories with 2 elevators during breakfast and checkout it can take a while to get down to the ground floor. When we were there one of the elevators were broken and it took almost 45 minutes to get down to check out. Had to go up first and then ride down.

3 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Slow and broken elevators seem to be a common theme in NYC hotels. I've read a lot of reviews these past few days, and i mean a lot and wait time for elevators was mentioned frequently, many hotels don't appear to have enough for the hotel capacity. 

That’s what is one of the many things we love about Michelangelo small hotel with three elevators that we never have to wait for , we used to book Hilton nice hotel but huge and we seemed to wait forever for hotels. Getting ready to book her again for end of May 

15 hours ago, George C said:

That’s what is one of the many things we love about Michelangelo small hotel with three elevators that we never have to wait for , we used to book Hilton nice hotel but huge and we seemed to wait forever for hotels. Getting ready to book her again for end of May 

Although the hotel looks nice enough, unfortunately, we can't justify an additional $400 a night just in case an elevator is broken, we'll have to take the risk and live on the edge a little 😉