Help w/excursions for first time cruising family - Alaska 07/2019

MBSchwartz

Hello -

I have been reading all of your helpful posts and would like to ask if those of you who have been on the Sojourn trip through Alaska recently can guide us as we narrow down our lists of excursions. My husband and I (52/50) and our two daughters (15/13) would like to do everything - but time and $$$.... We are all four quite fit and willing to try just about anything. We are feeling that the time with our kids is quickly disappearing as they get older and that these cruises & excursions will be a great way to be together without normal distractions and a chance to make wonderful memories.

So far we are planning on the following:

Day 1 - Ketichikan: Lumberjack show; Alaska Rainforest Adventure; and Sea Cycle Ocean Adventure - looking to get a feel of Alaska & then some water time/exercise

Day 2 - Misty Fjords: Kayak (11:45-1:45) and Seaplane (3:40-5:30) (water time/exercise & a view from above)

Day 3 - Wrangell: Wild Bears of Anan (8:30-1:30) then a walk through the town by ourselves (see the animals, have quick fun in a cute town)

Day 4 - Sitka: Sitka's Great Adventure (8:30-2:30) (a little bit of everything)

Day 5 - Tracy/Endicott: Catamaran (10:30-1) then Kayak (2:30-4) (glorious scenery, water time/exercise)

Day 6 - Haines: Davidson Glacier Hike (8:30-4:30) (glacier time/exercise)

Day 7 - Juneau: Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter (8:45-11:30) (glaciers from above, dogsledding - how cool is that?)

Day 8 - Inian Islands: Kayak (8-10); Icy Strait Point - Whale, Wildlife & Bear Search (2:30-7:30) OR ZipRider Adventure (2:45-4:15) (water time/exercise then one last big family hoorah)

Is there anything that we should swap out for something?

Are we doing something unnecessary or repetitive?

Are the times that we have chosen for the activities good or do we run a greater risk of weather problems?

Thanks so much for any insight you offer,

Merav

You have outlined an awesome set of things to do!

Weather can of course be unpredictable, so the helo might be cancelled then and you could miss out on the wonderful dogsledding which may run even in bad weather if you have not booked it and it is sold out

Ketchikan often  has rain ( I had sun only on two of my four  trips) so the seaplane might get cancelled, need to have a backup plan to perhaps do the Misty Fjiord boat tour individually, the family that runs it does a great job, or a hike in the rain

Bring ponchos and umbrellas

Have a wonderful time with your girls!

Wow - good choices.  If I may: look into the seaplane in Misty Fjords on your own vs. Seabourn - lots of operators.  We did the Seabourn one but had looked at another and wished we had done that one, Something Jack I think was the name or Pirate or some such.  Icy Strait Point, absolutely do the whale watch.  Tracey / Endicott - the cat trip was amazing - we saw a lot of glacier calving's.   And if you were lucky enough to book the Bears of Anan - which we could not, I heard it is very, very good..  

I would urge you to take a close look at your plan.  Lots of good choices but in my opinion you have planned too much in the course of the 8 days.  You will need a vacation after all those activities.  My wife and I were on a cruise very similar to your cruise last year and I would strongly recommend you consider a zodiac excursion in lieu of the catamaran or the kayak on day 5 - Tracy/Endicott.  I would replace the catamaran with the zodiac.

We've cruised Alaska five times, most recently on Sojourn in August 2017.  I can HIGHLY recommend the Anan Creek bear tour from personal experience!  Other than that, we tend not to book ship excursions unless there are no other options.  Depending on your comfort level booking independent tours, Alaska is a great place to do that and save $$.  Enjoy!