Are coffee cards good only for the cruise you buy it on?

KKB

4 minutes ago, KKB said:

We sailed Princess 6 years ago & I found my coffee card from that cruise. 

I know they used to allow you to use it on other cruises—is that still true?

If there’s no expiration date the punches are valid until 8/31/19...one punch per specialty or brewed coffee.

In June 2018 they implemented a new coffee program which is electronically attached to our onboard account which expires at the end of the cruise where purchased.

4 minutes ago, atobols said:

I ended last week's cruise with 11 coffees left.  I asked if I could use them on our next cruise.  The barista told me they would be good for a month or two but would disappear after that.

No, if the card does not have an expiration date then they good until 08/31/2019.

1 minute ago, atobols said:

I didn't have a punch card.  The coffee card was loaded onto my cruise card/key card. 

Oh in that case it is only good on the cruise you purchase it on unless it is a b2b cruise then they usually carry over to the next cruise.

If you buy them on a single cruise then use it or lose it.

7 minutes ago, atobols said:

I ended last week's cruise with 11 coffees left.  I asked if I could use them on our next cruise.  The barista told me they would be good for a month or two but would disappear after that.

I wouldn’t trust what a barista you’ll never see again said and instead trust the coffee package’s T&Cs which states they expire at the end of the cruise.

“The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose”.

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I wouldn’t trust what a barista you’ll never see again said and instead trust the coffee package’s T&Cs which states they expire at the end of the cruise.

“The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose”.

I was just passing on the information I was give.  I won't be cruising again for another 6 months so I lost out on the coffees either way.

3 minutes ago, atobols said:

I was just passing on the information I was give.  I won't be cruising again for another 6 months so I lost out on the coffees either way.

And I was just providing the Princess statement so others will know the correct procedure.  It’s been my experience that unfortunately it’s not unusual for crew to provide incorrect information.

1 hour ago, atobols said:

I didn't have a punch card.  The coffee card was loaded onto my cruise card/key card. 

I see that they still like to lie to their customers. 

I would contact Princess headquarters & let them know what he said. They might issue you some credit.

Edited by floridalover5623
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, I object 2 said:

Is hot chocolate included on the coffee card?  If so, does it take one punch or is it unlimited like brewed coffee in the IC? 

The T&Cs for the coffee package states it includes complimentary hot chocolate & brewed coffee:

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.

Edited by Astro Flyer

11 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

The T&Cs for the coffee package states it includes complimentary hot chocolate & brewed coffee:

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.

Thank you!  

On 1/13/2019 at 5:43 PM, floridalover5623 said:

I see that they still like to lie to their customers. 

I would contact Princess headquarters & let them know what he said. They might issue you some credit.

I don't think it's a deliberate lie as much as an attempt to answer the guest's question when the crew member does not really know the answer. I do think it it would be better if the crew member said they would get back to you with the correct answer rather than guessing. 

It's not just lower-level crew members who are confused about the new coffee "card" policy. On my last cruise (in November 2018), the Food and Beverage Director announced at the Cruise Critic M&G that ALL of the old coffee cards expired on December 31, 2018. I told him later that he needed to check what Princess has posted on the website about expiration dates. He had to send a subordinate to look up the policy and verify what I told him.

For the record, here are the links to the T&Cs:

For cards purchased for voyages prior to June 2018:

https://www.princess.com/html/global/personalizer/ssv/beverages/coffee-physical-card-disclaimer/

For cards purchased for voyages after June 2018:

https://www.princess.com/html/global/personalizer/ssv/beverages/coffee-package-disclaimer/

I find it interesting that both versions of T&Cs linked above indicate that the number of included specialty coffees varies by itinerary.  Further, Princess' announcement of the new coffee package, which would replace the coffee card, would be offered in configurations other than 15 specialty coffees, and would be based on legnth of voyage.

Looked at my Personalizer for the package offered for my sailings of 5, 10, 19, 28 days ... all are for 15 specialty coffees.  In this respect, Princess is missing the boat ... seriously doubt they sell many expires-at-the-end-of-the-current-cruise on the short trips.  More reasonable might be a package of 5 coffees for $12, 10 for $24, 15 for $35.  Plus, of course, that which is specified as complimentary.

So, they're losing revenue by not selling as many packages ... or they're disappointing people who were not able to enjoy their full coffee package.

Agree that they will need to price package according to cruise length as there is no way a reasonable person would use 15 specialty drinks on a 4-5 day cruise.  Actually pretty hard on a 7 day as well.  Makes me wonder what to do with my elite bar setup when and if I take another Princess Cruises. 

14 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

I find it interesting that both versions of T&Cs linked above indicate that the number of included specialty coffees varies by itinerary.  Further, Princess' announcement of the new coffee package, which would replace the coffee card, would be offered in configurations other than 15 specialty coffees, and would be based on legnth of voyage.

Looked at my Personalizer for the package offered for my sailings of 5, 10, 19, 28 days ... all are for 15 specialty coffees.  In this respect, Princess is missing the boat ... seriously doubt they sell many expires-at-the-end-of-the-current-cruise on the short trips.  More reasonable might be a package of 5 coffees for $12, 10 for $24, 15 for $35.  Plus, of course, that which is specified as complimentary.

So, they're losing revenue by not selling as many packages ... or they're disappointing people who were not able to enjoy their full coffee package.

I received a call from customer relations about my thoughts on the new coffee program shortly after being implemented in June.  Their answer about having a varying number of specialty coffees was it’s only on a few cruises.  They said it’s based on their research where a few cruises don’t have many coffee drinkers & is not based on the length of a cruise.

I expressed my opinion that I wouldn’t purchase 15 specialty coffees on shorter cruises but obviously Princess is sticking to 15 no matter the length of the cruise.  Unless coffee program purchases drop sufficiently they have no incentive to do otherwise.  The CR reps can only repeat the company’s policies because they don’t make policy.

I’ve purchased the coffee card for brewed coffee at the IC and to have my wife use punches for her frappes.  And any unused punches could be used on a future cruise to get a specialty or brewed coffee.  Unused punches with the new coffee program expire at the end of the cruise so I’ll never purchase another 15 specialty coffee program on shorter cruises.

Interrsting comments ... thank you for sharing Princess' thoughts on theit package.

Maybe Princess is looking at selling more brewed coffee, tea  hot chocolate by the cup ... if people don't buy the package Princess can charge for each and every beverage.

Likely the bean counters need to assess the revenues or loss thereof.

27 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Interrsting comments ... thank you for sharing Princess' thoughts on theit package.

Maybe Princess is looking at selling more brewed coffee, tea  hot chocolate by the cup ... if people don't buy the package Princess can charge for each and every beverage.

Likely the bean counters need to assess the revenues or loss thereof.

That’s the bottomline...all the bean counters care about is whatever way is more profitable for them & not about customer satisfaction.  I think when in balance it’s possible for both to be happy but this change is definitely one sided & is only about what’s best for Princess.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Agree that the idea is to maximize revenue, but I think customer satisfaction is something that will impact revenue almost immediately. My wife usually bought a card every second cruise. She would usually use the card up over two cruises. We probably will not buy one again unless we are on a very long cruise. Customer satisfaction will show up in the bottom line our first cruise. 

9 hours ago, cboyle said:

I don't think it's a deliberate lie as much as an attempt to answer the guest's question when the crew member does not really know the answer. I do think it it would be better if the crew member said they would get back to you with the correct answer rather than guessing. 

Why? It's the barista's job & they should at least know the correct answer. 

It's not all that hard to understand.