Does Even RCI Care? Post Cruise Comments 1-10 Only

Just completed a cruise with RCI and received the post cruise email titled "Share your thoughts on your recent cruise experience with Royal Caribbean" the body of which stated "We are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience. Please share your feedback on your Royal Caribbean 9 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise sailing.....help us provide the best possible experience on future cruises. 

The survey asked for me to rank various activities, venues, and services with a one through ten numerical system.  The was only one box where I could enter any comments and that was to explain why I may or may not recommend RCI to friends and family.  The rest was all one through ten, with no opportunity for me to explain a particular rating - such as a lower than ten for a production show that was so over amplified that we had to leave or the lack of any enforcement of their "no reserving" pool loungers.

The survey left me with the impression that RCI is not really interested in any comments that would help them provide the best possible experience on future cruises.

They are not really looking for specifics, just general overall feedback scores in all the various areas.  

In most surveys elsewhere anything below the highest score is considered poor.

RC is most likely the same. 

Probably don't have the time or personal to read every persons comments.

You can write a letter and send it in if you have something important that needs to be addressed.

However one persons thoughts will probably not change anything.

Edited by matj2000
  • Like 1

All they care about is their overall satisfaction percentage.  The survey format they use is called “net promoter”.  They add the 9’s and 10’s and the 5’s and below, and calculate the overall percentages, hoping the positives are higher then the negatives.  That’s the number that’s used to compare satisfaction versus other lines.

Ive got a lot of feedback from my Adventure Cruise that ended yesterday and will email them with details.

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Just completed a cruise with RCI and received the post cruise email titled "Share your thoughts on your recent cruise experience with Royal Caribbean" the body of which stated "We are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience. Please share your feedback on your Royal Caribbean 9 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise sailing.....help us provide the best possible experience on future cruises. 

The survey asked for me to rank various activities, venues, and services with a one through ten numerical system.  The was only one box where I could enter any comments and that was to explain why I may or may not recommend RCI to friends and family.  The rest was all one through ten, with no opportunity for me to explain a particular rating - such as a lower than ten for a production show that was so over amplified that we had to leave or the lack of any enforcement of their "no reserving" pool loungers.

The survey left me with the impression that RCI is not really interested in any comments that would help them provide the best possible experience on future cruises.

They do not give a sh$$ it is just to get their KPI scores... 🙄

Total waist of time! 🙄

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

If you have any serious issues, you can contact guest relations directly.  That is what I did after our Harmony cruise in November.

Was glad to see them enforce the age limits in the solarium and hot tub on our Indy cruise last week, when a family with small kids tried to get in the hot tub.  They were asked to leave before they even got a foot in.

Edited by h20skibum

As mentioned above, think of the millions of passengers who sail on Royal every year, each with an opinion. As much as we’d like to think that our individual comments are carefully and slowly read by the company’s CEO while holding a cup of coffee, the reality is that the data gathered by these electronic surveys is the best and most efficient way for a company the size of Royal to get a feel for what needs improvement. It’s not that they don’t care, it’s just that any other way would be less efficient and accurate.

If if you feel strongly about something specific that you consider needs attention, I humbly recommend that you snail mail your comments. You have a better chance of having an actual human read it that way.

Edited by Tapi

There does seem to be some variety in the surveys. Some have more comment areas than others. Most of the ones I have done have comment areas for the numbers that have been less than satisfactory. Some surveys just seem to have more comment areas standard. I'm not sure how the survey is selected. I have filled surveys out with my wife and her survey will be in a different format than mine. So??

I know what you are talking about.  There was one survey where I wanted to leave comments thinking there was a place at the end and there was not.  Now if I have any comments I put them in the first spot to comment on something  Like others said though not sure if anyone reads them or cares

19 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

You can email them at royalguestrelations@rccl.com or web_cruise_comments@rccl.com

I wonder if a paper letter carries more weight than an email.  When I was working, if someone wrote a letter to the agency it was assigned to the appropriate department for a written response.  An email may just garner a standard response - you know the kind where it's obvious the person responding clearly didn't read and or understand the issue.

29 minutes ago, Trinam2 said:

Have you had any post cruise complaints resolved by emailing them? Just curious.

Yes I have, but the reason I contacted them was due to some significant problems encountered, and it was resolved to my satisfaction.  I wouldn’t contact them, unless it was something significant that impacted your cruise.  For an idea of what I contacted them about, you can read my last review.

Edited by h20skibum

I don't care where in the survey they give me a blank spot to write my comments, I WRITE!!  It's usually good stuff, but at least I can say it, even if it's recommending RCCL to friends and family. I say, "Oh, yes, because Soandso was the BEST waiter, and the food was great, but there's a sewage smell on deck 4", etc.

Take the opportunity when you get it.

Frankly the post cruise "survey" has been degraded to the point of being a waste of time. On the rare occasion they give you the opportunity to provide meaningful comment they cut you off after a limited number of keystrokes...sorry didn't count the number of keystrokes.

After 66 Royal cruises just use the "survey" to single out individuals who have provided exceptionally positive service and hope that someone at Royal even reads the comments.

We take the time to complete the survey.  We specially use the comment box at the end and give commendations to all crew members that provided outstanding service.  On a recent b2b2b, we noticed that every single crew member that we singled out as outstanding...thanked us.  A few even knew exactly what I wrote down on the survey.

One assistant waiter and a waiter told us that being singled out and getting a nice review, gets them a lot of perks...perhaps a day off or in their case "hours off", free meal at a specialty rest  aurant, a better assignment in the MDR, free internet...or sometimes even promotions.  One waiter stated that getting a nice write-up from several passengers got him an assignment he requested...to be assigned to Chops.  So yes, we take the time to complete the survey.